Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Aug 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,021 of 5,364
I reallly like the looks of the B&W P3 and P5. How do they compare with each other? I know there's a $100 price difference but I also heard some rumors that the new drivers in the P3 might actually sound better than the P5? How do either compare to the V-Moda M-80? Again, this is going to be driven with a portable music player, likely unamped.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,022 of 5,364
need help purchasing new iems,
i had a pair of soundmagic pl30, but it got robbed few days back.! and now am left with some average earphones.
so am planning to get a new one, and am really tight on budget, as i spent a lot of my pocket money this month.!
so am looking forward for these earphones, logitech ue 100 (around $16), soundmagic es18 ( around $11)
i know you guys will recommend me the sound magic e10.! but thats pretty expensive here, its for around $40
i have heard that es 18 got the same drivers and sound almost the same as e 10
so please kindly help.! am in need for a new pair :frowning2:

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #1,023 of 5,364
need help purchasing new iems,

i had a pair of soundmagic pl30, but it got robbed few days back.! and now am left with some average earphones.

so am planning to get a new one, and am really tight on budget, as i spent a lot of my pocket money this month.!

so am looking forward for these earphones, logitech ue 100 (around $16), soundmagic es18 ( around $11)

i know you guys will recommend me the sound magic e10.! but thats pretty expensive here, its for around $40

i have heard that es 18 got the same drivers and sound almost the same as e 10

so please kindly help.! am in need for a new pair :frowning2:

Wow! Someone robbed you for your SoundMAGIC PL30's? That is harsh man, harsh.

Take a look at the Phillips SHE3580 thread, they maybe exactly what you're after. Or another to consider could be JVC FX101 which are also pretty good though still travelling on the hype train in my opinion. *toot toot*

SHE3580 thread. (very good IEM) Nice and punchy.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-10-giant-killers-er-4p-gathering-dust

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #1,024 of 5,364
lol the first line was lame ?
it was robbed in college.! if you think i dint own a pl30, check the display pic.!
en my friend owns the philips pair, its quite low in volume.! and i need one for travelling i.e. good isolation and loud enough.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,025 of 5,364
lol the first line was lame ?

it was robbed in college.! if you think i dint own a pl30, check the display pic.!

en my friend owns the philips pair, its quite low in volume.! and i need one for travelling i.e. good isolation and loud enough.

Goodluck to you my friend. Your attitude will go far here!

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #1,026 of 5,364
Longtime lurker, first time poster here. My YUIN PK3 are dead. I loved them but would like to try something new (and under 30€).

Currently, I'm considering VSonic GR99 and Dunu Trident due to the great reviews and opinions. Which one is closer(ish) to PK3, overall SQ and bass wise? I'm also open for other suggestions. Thanks a bunch and thank you all for being such an awesome community.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #1,027 of 5,364
Hi , 
i posted a few months ago but still havent sorted out some 'phones.
So to ask again (please lol) I sort of got a small shortlist, 

They are to used with an IPhone 4 (no amps)
Also must be comfortable 

Sony ZX700
JVC HS-A600
Senn HD439
Would welcome any more to the list

My previous set were Sennheiser  PX100IIs  (wires broke inside, and I'd looked after them), I found them pretty good but would like to move a step up in sound quality.
So far ,trying some out in shops, I quite liked the sound of Bose AE2s- not sure how will go down on hear lol-,and also found them very comfortable. Im just not prepared to pay that amount for them, which is why i included the JVCs if that makes any sense.  

I also tried on a set of Sony ZX500 and had to push my ears in to fit inside, are the cups the same size as the ZX700s?

The above phones Ive listed are physically the biggest i would consider as I often wear them in bed.  I mostly listen to plays so decent vocals would be good but they also need to be a good allrounder. Im not looking for bass heavy phones nor thin sounding ones either.

My budget would be around £50 - £70 , any cheaper ideas are welcome as well.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,028 of 5,364
Hello!
i bought a pair of shure se425 recently and i found a little lacking in the bass department for my taste. so i am thinking of getting a fiio e5 amplifier and using the bass boost. Would this have a significant effect on the sound? Are there any other ways to get some more bass out of the se425s? Im using a ipod touch 2g so the equalizer is terrible -.- . (id prefer to keep it under $100)

Thank you!

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,029 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello!
i bought a pair of shure se425 recently and i found a little lacking in the bass department for my taste. so i am thinking of getting a fiio e5 amplifier and using the bass boost. Would this have a significant effect on the sound? Are there any other ways to get some more bass out of the se425s? Im using a ipod touch 2g so the equalizer is terrible -.- . (id prefer to keep it under $100)

Thank you!

The Fiio E11 is much cleaner sounding than the E5 (or the E6). It's also less than $100 and gives you two levels of bass boost. IMO your $300 IEMs would be degraded by a $20 E5...

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,030 of 5,364
Well, to answer my own post, I went out today and ended up in TK Maxx. They had Sony MA 100s for £16.99 and MA 300s for £26.99. I pulled the 300s out the box, hooked them up to my Iphone 4 and gave them a try. As cheap as they were I wasnt that keen on them, I know they probably needed a bit more time but they just sounded flat and a bit boxy too me. As much as i like a bargain i put them back. I also had to put the volume up at least to 75% to hear them properly.

Next we went to Tesco food shopping. Decided to check out the electrical section and saw they had the JVC HS A600 in dark blue for £14.97 - black and white were £32.97 and red were £39.97!? Bought the blue ones thinking if i dont like them i can give them to my wife for her IPad.
So far Im liking them a lot more than the Sonys , in fact im impressed full stop with them. They sound clear with a good but not excessive amount of bass, seal well, are comfortable and look pretty good. The pads are not as soft as the Bose AE2s but i can live with that,maybe theres a softer pad i can transfer on to them?

Quote:
Hi , 
i posted a few months ago but still havent sorted out some 'phones.
So to ask again (please lol) I sort of got a small shortlist, 

They are to used with an IPhone 4 (no amps)
Also must be comfortable 

Sony ZX700
JVC HS-A600
Senn HD439
Would welcome any more to the list

My previous set were Sennheiser  PX100IIs  (wires broke inside, and I'd looked after them), I found them pretty good but would like to move a step up in sound quality.
So far ,trying some out in shops, I quite liked the sound of Bose AE2s- not sure how will go down on hear lol-,and also found them very comfortable. Im just not prepared to pay that amount for them, which is why i included the JVCs if that makes any sense.  

I also tried on a set of Sony ZX500 and had to push my ears in to fit inside, are the cups the same size as the ZX700s?

The above phones Ive listed are physically the biggest i would consider as I often wear them in bed.  I mostly listen to plays so decent vocals would be good but they also need to be a good allrounder. Im not looking for bass heavy phones nor thin sounding ones either.

My budget would be around £50 - £70 , any cheaper ideas are welcome as well.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,031 of 5,364
Hello All!

I'm shopping for new IEMs and would love some input.  I previously had the Etymotic 4P that unfortunately were stolen.  (damn.  I hope they know what they got!)  So, I'm looking for something new.  Some criteria:

- I loved the isolation of Etymotic.  I study in noisy buildings and really appreciate this.  Something similar would be best, I just don't want to take a big step lower in isolation.  Perhaps this means customs...
- Music: Mostly Indie, Rock, and a little bluegrass.  Wilco, Springsteen, the National, etc.
- SQ: I'm hoping for a step up from the Etymotics, though I understand this isn't that easy...
- Signature:  I really only know the Etymotics (very neutral, right?).  I'm not opposed to a little color, but not too much.  
- Source: iPod 5G, unamped at this point.  I would consider an amp or new source down the line.  I'm in the process of re-ripping a bunch of stuff to FLAC.
- Budget: $400-$500.

Ideas: Heir 4a, JH5, Westone 4R.

I'd like to buy once and be done.  Seems like a lot of great stuff at $1K+/- (JH13, Heir 8a, etc) but that's too much for me.  I'm leaning towards customs given the isolation goal, as well as how the etymotic become uncomfortable after a few hours.

Thanks so much!
Erik

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #1,032 of 5,364
Ok, I'll try again, with a little less text. Maybe I overdid it :).

I'm upgrading from a pair of d-Jays. I'd like some more bass than d-Jays but I like their comfort (never doing Jays again though due to the cable issues).

I've been looking at Monster Turbine Gold, but read in these forums that they easily pop out of the ears, which is bad since I like to take walks and jog.

My budget is $200-$300. 

I know next to nothing about the range of IEM brands in this price range, so I would really appreciate some tips! I have a pair of regular Sennheiser HD 25-1 II which I absolutely adore! If I can get the same sound in a pair of IEMs I would be very happy :).

Thanks again
/Robert

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,034 of 5,364
Looking for some noise-cancelling earbuds, budget: $300

I listen primarily to Classical music; this involves single instruments and large orchestras, single vocalists and large choirs, combinations of orchestras/choirs, etc. 

Right now all I have is an iPod Nano, but as I learn more about audio (I'm a noob at this) hopefully I'll get something better. 

I need noise-cancelling earbuds, but I want great sound quality also.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back