Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Aug 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #994 of 5,364
Quote:

Not sure how prices transfer but maybe consider the W3, IE80 and FX700.

Thanks for your reply, I should probably have mentioned that I dont really want to go down the IEM route again. I'm thinking on-ear but if they really arnt any good at noise isolation/cancellation then I may be willing to opt for full size cans. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #996 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I should probably have mentioned that I dont really want to go down the IEM route again. I'm thinking on-ear but if they really arnt any good at noise isolation/cancellation then I may be willing to opt for full size cans. 

Here's a great thread if you haven't read it already: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

I'd consider looking at the HD25-1ii. Lots of good options in that thread though! 

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #998 of 5,364
I've been lurking around these forums for a few days reading up on various bang-for-buck IEMs. I'm coming from a pair of klipsch S4s, which I was satisfied with them sound-wise, although they were a bit bass-heavy, but not at all quality-wise - lost sound in the right ear on 2 pairs, the first after nearly a year, replaced on warranty, and the new set a couple months later outside of warranty.

So I'm looking for something with as good or better sound, but better build quality to replace them. After reading through ljokerl's and CLieOS' comparison threads, I'd narrowed it down to the MEElec A151, or the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition.

I live in Japan and I can get both of these for around $40 (amazon for the a151, lendmeurears for the GR02).

After a bit more browsing though, I'm seeing a lot of good things being said/hype around the new CKM500s, which are available for $50 off amazon here.

So my question is, has anyone heard all of these phones, and if so what would you recommend? Anything else thats good in a similar price range is also fine ( max $60, though prices tend to differ somewhat here). I'd like to try some BA-based phones, which is why I liked the idea of the A151s, but if the others/something else is better I'm happy with trying anything. I use a pair of sennheiser HD598s at home and love the sound, though a bit more bass would be nice in portable phones (I mainly listen to metal/rock/indie, with some classical and instrumental thrown in, and I tend to base-boost with Fiio E7 when I listen to my electronic music.)

Also, as they're for on-the-go use, decent isolation and minimal cable noise are pluses. I also prefer straight-down wearing, so are the a151s comfortable in this configuration?

Thanks for any responses!

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #999 of 5,364
I'm looking for some $50 IEMs, and I've narrowed it down to MEElectronics CC51 and UE600/Super.fi 5, but I'm still open to suggestions. Mostly, I listen to alternative. Right now I'm using JVC Marshmallows, and I basically like the balance they have. My question is sort of the same as the one above, so I'll use some of those recommendations too. I'm going to use amazon.com for my purchase, if that makes a difference. Can someone help me choose? Thanks for reading this and/or replying. :D

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #1,000 of 5,364
Hi
I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs. I currently own Shure se215 but I just send them  to get fixed. So Now Im thinking of buying a new pair but cant deside if I should buy the Shue se315 or Yamaha EPH-100Si. I like the sound from my Shure but is it worth to buy Se315?

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,001 of 5,364
I have finally decided to stick to IEM and managed to narrow it down to two options and really can not decide between them.

CKM500
GR06

I could maybe at a stretch get the EPH-100 but only if there would be a substantial difference.

Anything to help this tip the balance one way would be great!

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,002 of 5,364
I am getting kind of bored of my "low end" (Brainwavz M4) and "mid range" (UE Super.Fi 5) IEM's. My "nice" IEM's are reshelled TripleFi 10's.

Anyway, I was wondering if technology has advanced enough that there is any suitable upgrade for the Super.Fi 5's? I bought them about 4 years ago for $150. Obviously they are cheaper now, about $100. Is there anything I should be looking at in terms of upgrades, for $150 or less? I would be using this mostly working out (indoor gym, not outside running). I would also bring it to travel on planes (rarely). This would never be used at my desk.

Price: $120 or less. Could push it higher if needed but I don't want to start leaking into the "high end" category. I am not trying to replace my TF10's here. I want my IEM's to occupy distinct price points.

Type of music: Top 40, hip-hop, jazz, a little bit of drum N bass/electronic, pop, some country. I like good distinct intrumentals, good vocals, I like a punchy bass instead of a widespread one but I wouldn't call myself a "bass head".

Source: Galaxy Nexus phone or Zune HD. Will almost always run unamped so it must be able to be portable driven.

I was thinking of picking up the VSonic GR07 Mk 2. It's about $150. Would this be a good replacement for the Super.Fi 5's? Or are they totally different animals. What about the Shure SE215? They are about $100 and while that's less than I paid for my SuperFi 5's, that was four years ago. I assume that as technology improves you can get more for your money. 

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I see the SuperFi 5's (aka UE600) actually cost much less now ($80?). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back