Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jun 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #781 of 5,364
hi,
i am searching for a relaxed and smooth inear. the most relaxed i know is the westone w4, but it is out of my budget and it has not enough bass for my liking. so i do not need the amount of microdetails but the same smoothness compared with more sub bass. price can be up to 150$. what would suit my needs?

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #782 of 5,364
so i really want the Etymotic HF5, ad FWIR it appears the HF3 is the same just with iPhone controls, but is that also true of the HF2?  There's an Amazon reseller named Bazingaroo selling one Used- Like New for $40.95 + $4.99 shipping.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0012OP7HE/ref=sr_1_11_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339246351&sr=1-11&keywords=etymotic+hf5&condition=used Nothing is really mentioned about the physical quality, any cosmetic defects, etc.

Think I could trust them, and does anyone have any experience with this seller and/or generally know the time it takes to ship?  Also are the HF2 also comparable to the HF5?  Thanks in advance for your help!

edit: also would mc5 be preferable for the supposedly better build quality, and is it really that far below the hf2/3/5?  thanks again.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #783 of 5,364
^don't mean to be bump happy and i know people don't seem to reply much ITT, but i'd appreciate a response as i was hoping to purchase today if possible.  though $40 for (essentially) an HF5 i'm sure is too good to be true.  there's a few amazon warehouse deals for approx. $80 for hf3, would those be a safe bet?  thanks again.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #784 of 5,364
Quote:
^don't mean to be bump happy and i know people don't seem to reply much ITT, but i'd appreciate a response as i was hoping to purchase today if possible.  though $40 for (essentially) an HF5 i'm sure is too good to be true.  there's a few amazon warehouse deals for approx. $80 for hf3, would those be a safe bet?  thanks again.

for $ 80  I would say it's a safe bet, I got my first HF5 for US$ 89, less than that I would start to get suspicious

Nothing beats checking if the store is an authorized resseller

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #786 of 5,364
now wondering if i should go for etys at all.  hf5 build issues kinda scaring me off, and mc5 is supposedly pretty flat sounding, and both seem to not have good soundstage/positioning.  the currently trying out shure se215, and honestly i'm really liking it.  it doesn't seem to have the resolution of the addiems and the able.planet that i've tried recently, but it seems like a better all-around phone, and great isolation.   also very nice presentation to the music; can really feel it surrounding me, though it's mostly from the sides and back.

what i'd really want is something with detail, decent/good soundstage, and at least fairly capable across the spectrum with good (hopefully deep) bass.  also good isolation. i listen to a variety of genres but mostly electronic, rock, and indie.  asking all of this i'll probably need to go into $200 range iems that are probably dual BA.  so should i cut my losses, stick with se215 for now and save up to get a better iem?  or should i give etys a shot?  (maybe start w/ mc5 to see if i like the house sound) thinking maybe dba-02 or tf10 but whatever suggestions would be appreciated.

also recently tried:
addiems: like the detail and adequate bass, don't like the short cord and tips falling off though.

able.planet si1051: guessing copy of the radius ddm2/brookstone.  really liked the sound, would probably be perfect but zero isolation and uncomfortable fit.  also cannot wear over ear.  if there's a way to improve isolation on these i'm open to suggestions.

m6: my regular iems, good bang for buck but everything seems congested?  bass is overwhelming, and i like the bright treble for rock/shoegaze but can be harsh.  se215 seems to have much better space and slightly improved resolution IMO.

i'll understand if this gets ignored but if someone's kind enough to help steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated.  thanks again!

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #787 of 5,364
Quote:
now wondering if i should go for etys at all.  hf5 build issues kinda scaring me off, and mc5 is supposedly pretty flat sounding, and both seem to not have good soundstage/positioning.  the currently trying out shure se215, and honestly i'm really liking it.  it doesn't seem to have the resolution of the addiems and the able.planet that i've tried recently, but it seems like a better all-around phone, and great isolation.   also very nice presentation to the music; can really feel it surrounding me, though it's mostly from the sides and back.

what i'd really want is something with detail, decent/good soundstage, and at least fairly capable across the spectrum with good (hopefully deep) bass.  also good isolation. i listen to a variety of genres but mostly electronic, rock, and indie.  asking all of this i'll probably need to go into $200 range iems that are probably dual BA.  so should i cut my losses, stick with se215 for now and save up to get a better iem?  or should i give etys a shot?  (maybe start w/ mc5 to see if i like the house sound) thinking maybe dba-02 or tf10 but whatever suggestions would be appreciated.

also recently tried:
addiems: like the detail and adequate bass, don't like the short cord and tips falling off though.

able.planet si1051: guessing copy of the radius ddm2/brookstone.  really liked the sound, would probably be perfect but zero isolation and uncomfortable fit.  also cannot wear over ear.  if there's a way to improve isolation on these i'm open to suggestions.

m6: my regular iems, good bang for buck but everything seems congested?  bass is overwhelming, and i like the bright treble for rock/shoegaze but can be harsh.  se215 seems to have much better space and slightly improved resolution IMO.

i'll understand if this gets ignored but if someone's kind enough to help steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated.  thanks again!

Here ya go... Comply Foam Whoomps

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/whoomp-foam-tips/

Stay with the winner ADDIEM

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #788 of 5,364
yeah i can change the tips but the cable's way too short for my hideously long torso.  prefer to wear it over-ear but then the cable's practically hugging my body and i jerk my head too fast the cable comes out.  cable down it's way too noisy, suppose i could try a shirt clip.

i would really like to recable them with a meelec cable ala joker but i couldn't find anything on how to disassemble them.

thank you for the reply though!

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #789 of 5,364
Also, what's a good portable headphone that can be paired with the E17? I have the HD25-1 II and I've been using that but I feel like it doesn't even affect my headphones at all. I hope these can be not that bulky and closed. My budget for this is $200. I need a good all arounder, I listen to rock, kpop, house and other random stuff.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #790 of 5,364
Quote:
I need semi-portable headphones, (not IEM) that I can find used for about 130-160$. I listen to music like Relient K, Blink 182, Green Day, Three Days Grace, Third Eye Blind, and some acoustic versions of their songs. I'd like them to have some durability, little leakage and isolation since I'll have them in my backpack for school. Also, I should mention I currently have AT ES7's and I want to upgrade. I'm not a huge basshead either. Could anyone help me please? Thanks.

Could someone help me out here? Thanks!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #791 of 5,364
I'm looking for some advice on a set of IEMs that are good for listening to movie scores. Lots of instrumentals with little to no vocals. Recently I've been focused on stuff by Cliff Martinez (Drive, Solaris), Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) and Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (The Social Network, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

The Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Copper seem to be popular but I'm not sure if they're going to fit the bill. I've also been eyeing the UE Triple Fi 10 or the ER4p but I'm just not sure which is going to be the best for this type of music. I would appreciate any help and guidance anyone could provide including recommendations beyond those listed.

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #792 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello there!

I have had 2 IEMs till date. The Creative EP 630 and the Sony MDR-EX57 SL.

I'm looking for headphones now, though. I saw and liked the AKG K 450. It also has good reviews spread over the web.

What are the other options I have considering I would want them to be portable, and in and around the $100 price range?

Also, without the need of an amplifier, preferably. I'll be using them with my laptop and iPod Touch.

No one?

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #793 of 5,364
Hello all!
I was set on buying the Hippo VB but finding them is hard and based on my research it seems the MEElectronics Sp51 offers the same performance and a lower price. Am I on the right track? I do not mind saving money and I just need something better than the crappy skullcandy ones.

Regards 
I saw one on Ebay but the description and pictures seems fishy.
Title says SP51 then photos are NOT showing SP51 and the description lists a second model which is the photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390412378076#ht_2992wt_1161

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #794 of 5,364
Hi. I've been interested in 2 IEMs: Vsonic GR06 and Shure SE215. Different prices and almost totally different sound signatures, but from what I know they have the similarity of sounding warm, and that they're also a very nice 
deadhorse.gif
 for the buck. The thing is, I've been doing some research on IEMs in the $50-$100 range so that I know what I can buy when the time comes, and these two are basically quite popular ones (in their own manners).
 I listen to a mixed variety of genres (many). The most being Electronica and Dubstep, second Jazz, third; Pop, then R&B/Hip Hop. I'm shure the sure (?) would be the better option for dubstep and the like, but then jazz and classic? So this where my dilemma starts. I know that the GR06 is a much better all-rounder, but would it be better than the 215s at playing Jazz or classic? If so, then should I just go for the Vsonics? I'm sure either would be a nice choice for me, but just so that when I get one of them I'll have less or no regrets. So any help and opinions with this is fine and will be appreciated. Otherwise, are there other IEMs that may be recommended? (my budget is basically $50-100, of course)
 -Thanks!

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #795 of 5,364
Alright fellow headfiers, I need a suggestion. The left earbud on my Soundmagic E30 earphones stopped working, and getting them fixed will basically cost the same as buying a new pair. So, instead, I want to buy a totally different pair of in-ear headphones. Here's what I'm looking for:
  1. Under $75
  2. Fairly large soundstage
  3. Comfortable (I want to be able to wear these for hours)
  4. Durable (I want to be able to use these while I'm running, longboarding, etc.)
  5. I listen to mostly alternative and folk music so I want them to go well with these genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back