Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #751 of 5,364
Looking to finally step to buy a decent set of headphones (or rather, asking for them for father's day), and wanted to give the wife a more concrete recommendation so that I don't end up with, say, a pair of beats or Bose.

Having not previously spent more than $40 on headphones, I started trying to do some research and I'm now more confused than when I started. Generally, I'm probably looking $200 or less. Because I'll be using these traveling, reasonable size and comes with a good case are a big plus. I'll be using them with a lot of potential sources: iPhone, iPad, 3DS/other handhelds, laptop, and possibly even with the PC or consoles at home in a pinch. So it needs to be flexible between music, movies, and games. Music wise, I lean rock, hard rock, metal, and some electronic generally, but occasionally fall as far from that as classical. So, what I'm really looking for is versatility and portability. I think I'm leaning on ear, but could go over the ear or IEM. Because of the travel aspect, long term comfort is important, which is why I thought on ear was the best middle ground..I have a couple overseas flights coming up later in the year, so I mean potentially 10 hours plus. My head isn't huge, so some of the "too small for my head" issues shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?  I was leaning V-Moda M-80 or Sennheiser HD-25-I, but the folks over in the full size forum seem to think IEMs will be way more comfortable for long term use...so I really have no idea where to start there for something pretty balanced and versatile.

May 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #752 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking to finally step to buy a decent set of headphones (or rather, asking for them for father's day), and wanted to give the wife a more concrete recommendation so that I don't end up with, say, a pair of beats or Bose.

Having not previously spent more than $40 on headphones, I started trying to do some research and I'm now more confused than when I started. Generally, I'm probably looking $200 or less. Because I'll be using these traveling, reasonable size and comes with a good case are a big plus. I'll be using them with a lot of potential sources: iPhone, iPad, 3DS/other handhelds, laptop, and possibly even with the PC or consoles at home in a pinch. So it needs to be flexible between music, movies, and games. Music wise, I lean rock, hard rock, metal, and some electronic generally, but occasionally fall as far from that as classical. So, what I'm really looking for is versatility and portability. I think I'm leaning on ear, but could go over the ear or IEM. Because of the travel aspect, long term comfort is important, which is why I thought on ear was the best middle ground..I have a couple overseas flights coming up later in the year, so I mean potentially 10 hours plus. My head isn't huge, so some of the "too small for my head" issues shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?  I was leaning V-Moda M-80 or Sennheiser HD-25-I, but the folks over in the full size forum seem to think IEMs will be way more comfortable for long term use...so I really have no idea where to start there for something pretty balanced and versatile.

Hello again! FWIW, balanced, versatile and comfortable iems: Westone 2 (too much mid bass hump for me), Vsonic GR07 (excellent bass and mids but light on treble), SE425 (pretty neutral with good bass), RE262 (really nice mids, light on bass). Haven't heard the GR01 but you should check them out, too.

May 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #753 of 5,364
my friend had an impression with the gr01 so i hope this might help you
Quote:
With the GR01, VSonic has set similar goals with their sound signature like with the GR07. They aim for non-fatiguing sound signature with all the frequencies presented, well balanced and it aims to achieve the Studio Monitor sound, and they have certainly accomplished that with the GR01 and its TWFK drivers

It looks sleek and small but those dual armatures are really pleasing to listen to because of the non-fatuiging sound. Vocals are well pronounced and caress the listener's ears with good imaging and separation.

Bass performs admirably well, with enough warmth and punch. It's very tight and has enough impact for most genres of music. It doesnt go down deep, but for non-electronic genres it will do well.

One of the weaknesses of the GR07 is its treble, while pleasing to listen to can tend to be sibilant on some tracks. This is not the case with the GR01 as the treble is just right. It's not particularly impressive but it does no wrong either. It's not too bright but it does not roll off that much. It's sometimes thin on a few tracks however.

The GR01 doesnt really do anything particularly well, but its appeal is that it does no wrong and is pleasing to listen to. Details are great for a Dual Armature IEM but as it is only a Dual Armature IEM, it's still not up to par with something like a UM3x when it comes to detail and imaging.

Comparing it to my pair of GR07 which aims to have the Studio Monitor type of sound as well, it loses out on bass and musicality by default because of the GR07 which is a Dynamic IEM. It's also not as wide when it comes to soundstage.
However, it is a technically better IEM than the GR07 and it shows with the vocals and detail which I give the win to the GR01.

Setup used:
Cowon J3 on BBE Viva

Tracks used:
James Ingram - Just Once
Traincha - Human Nature
Eagles - Tequila Sunrise
Foo Fighters - Everlong

May 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #754 of 5,364
I need some new IEMs, have a budget of ~£150 (max).  They'll mainly be used with my SansaClip+ and maybe cmoy amp, some times used with my laptop or touchpad if I'm watching a film or something when traveling.  So they need to be comfortable enough for long journeys but also for running and at the gym.  Music wise, a lot of varied things... rap & hip hop, a lot of mashups (so it does get pretty varied what I'm listening to), some rock(ish) stuff (LP, RATM etc).

I've got a bit of a list together but I really don't know what to go for.  HiFiMan RE272s, Phonak Audeo PFE 122, Vsonic GR07, ACS T15, Etymotic HF5. I've read lots of reviews and people's opinions on all of these and I just don't know!   I'm not sure how well I'd get on with flange style eartips, I've never used them before, but if I don't I wouldn't mind spending some money on ACS custom fits for say the ACS or HF5.  Oh and I'm currently using Shure SE110 earphones, so I know anything I get out of them will probably be a lot better but I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thanks.  :)

May 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #755 of 5,364
Quote:
I need some new IEMs, have a budget of ~£150 (max).  They'll mainly be used with my SansaClip+ and maybe cmoy amp, some times used with my laptop or touchpad if I'm watching a film or something when traveling.  So they need to be comfortable enough for long journeys but also for running and at the gym.  Music wise, a lot of varied things... rap & hip hop, a lot of mashups (so it does get pretty varied what I'm listening to), some rock(ish) stuff (LP, RATM etc).

I've got a bit of a list together but I really don't know what to go for.  HiFiMan RE272s, Phonak Audeo PFE 122, Vsonic GR07, ACS T15, Etymotic HF5. I've read lots of reviews and people's opinions on all of these and I just don't know!   I'm not sure how well I'd get on with flange style eartips, I've never used them before, but if I don't I wouldn't mind spending some money on ACS custom fits for say the ACS or HF5.  Oh and I'm currently using Shure SE110 earphones, so I know anything I get out of them will probably be a lot better but I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thanks.  :)

Seems like something with more bass would be better for you. What about the Westone 3? The GR07 may not be bad either. The Re272 are really bass light, and the HF5 does not have much.

May 29, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #756 of 5,364
Westone 3 (is that a typo :p)  They're around £250 in the UK so well out of my budget unfortunately.  I am very tempted by the GR07s they just seem to be impossible to get in the UK, unless I order them from ebay or abroad. 

May 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #757 of 5,364
Quote:
Westone 3 (is that a typo :p)  They're around £250 in the UK so well out of my budget unfortunately.  I am very tempted by the GR07s they just seem to be impossible to get in the UK, unless I order them from ebay or abroad. 

Sorry, I'm not always sure about UK prices/pound to dollar conversion :frowning2: Don't worry about buying the GR07 on ebay. Lendmeurears is an authorized dealer; I think there are others on ebay as well. You could also check frogbeats which is based in the UK and has sold Vsonic stuff in the past.

May 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #760 of 5,364
Hi, I'm in need of a pair of in-ear headphones for less intensive listening under $100 (preferably under $75). Right now I'm using a Phonak PFE 122 for more focused listening and a cheap Sony MDREX36V for more casual listening, which I'm gifting to a friend so I need a replacement. I don't have an amp and I primarily listen to various subgenres of metal and rock, so I need something that performs pretty well with good instrument separation, crunchy or distorted guitars, low and high vocals, and decent bass when it's necessary depending on song.

So far I've got my eyes on either the Brainwavz M2 or Thinksound Rain. Which of these may be best, or are there any other good options? Thanks.

edit: Disregard, made a purchase :)

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #762 of 5,364
Quote:
Bumping this thread for newbies to see. :)

Thank you! :)

I own a pair of Sennheiser CX300II in ear headphones and want to upgrade to a new and better sounding set, since I read they don´t compare to well, mainly because of the very dominant bass I guess.
I´ll be using the in ears for music (pretty much everthing except for electronic music) via my iPod/iphone, macbook. 

What I like in terms of sound is a very surround like feeling and balanced in terms of bass. I had the Sennheiser HD 598 (they broke) and although I am aware that they are open headphones, if the in ears could sound anything similiar like the 598s in terms of sound, I guess that would be perfect for me. I will be open for other guidance as well though. 

Right now I was thinking maybe the Beyerdynamic DTX101iE since they have pretty good reviews on amazon. I already own a pair of Beyer headphones (DT 990 pro) and really enjoy them for gaming and movies but for music through iPod they are a bit hard to drive obviously and in review I also liked the sound of the Sennheiser 598s more when it comes to music. 

budget is up to € 100, around 50 would be perfect though.
Hoping for some advice :) thanks

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #763 of 5,364
Quote:
Bumping this thread for newbies to see. :)

Very helpful for the new and old.
Actually, I'm looking around for high end headphones myself. Haven't compiled a list just yet.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #765 of 5,364
I am looking for a set of <$250 earphones.  I listen to mostly rock, americana, acoustic, folk, etc.  I don't care about pure bass - rather have good mids and highs.  Most of my music is 256 VBR mp3, some flac, some really crummy stuff (awful highs on this).  I am no audio expert but can tell what sounds decent and what sounds like crap (I've done a lot of listening to magnepan mmg's over the past year).  I will be listening mostly from a rockbox'ed sansa clip plus, my galaxy nexus or right from my laptop.  Would like decent isolation, nothing crazy required.

I want to say the earphones will not be used for high tempo sweaty activities, but I may end up using them for that, not initially though.

My only direct experience with iems has been a set of Shure SCL3 I bought on sale for around $100 a few years back.  I liked them and have used them moderately(including exercise) but one ear the cable requires constant adjusting and they are shot.  I'm not too impressed with the lifespan to be honest - though they seem fine if the cable was able to be replaced.  I loved their small and light size, but that lack of removable cable killed me.

I have been trying to get in on the christmas time amazon gold box deal for 99.99 triple.fi 10s but I always miss it by an hour or two...

I have 50% off westone um models and can get a um2 rc for 225...but all I read is they are boomy boomy boomy.  Same with the um3x rc for 275. (+ 15 shipping).  I am considering a set of Westone um1 for 95 shipped just for working out but not for serious listening.  Shure se425?  Triple.fi 10?

What can I get in this price range with a removable cable?   Guessing I'd like a 2 driver setup but :dunno:  Small and light is a plus, but obviously I dont see that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back