Buying New Pair of Headphones
May 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
The m50's technically monitors of course. I was not a huge fan of them when I owned them. For me the bass was loose and the sound was not really balanced at all. The dt770 is a popular hp and it known for it's strong bass line and sparkle to the treble. Built like a tank...German engineering...think BMW. It's quite good.

Alright thanks :) so what do you think? dt770 or your denon 2k? Is dt770 600 ohms? 

May 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #17 of 20
Head to head...I'd pick the d2k all day. It's bigger and doesn't isolate as well, but the sound is exceptional.

May 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 20
The Beyer DTs come in three impedance options - 32 ohms, 250 ohms, and 600 ohms. Beyer suggests the 32 ohm models (on newer models these have a "p" suffix, like T70p vs T70) for mobile use, and they're designed with mobile devices in mind. I'm not sure how well the smart-phone will power them - I know my Walkman will drive most dynamic headphones, but I don't even know how it compares to an iPod in that regard. The last time I tried my phone with my mobiles it was horrible (it couldn't drive them to a loud enough level). So I just gave up on using the phone.

For mobile use, I would suggest closed headphones. That includes the DT770. Also the T70p (although I think they're a bit top-heavy/tizzy, they isolate very well and they're exceptionally detailed for something that you could take out and about). The Denon D2000s are another good pick, but as people have been saying, they don't isolate super well. Another consideration would be in-ears.

I think any of these should drive from a competent PDP (like a Walkman and probably an iPod (I would like to believe the iPod has that much grunt)), otherwise get a small portable amp and be finished with it.

May 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:
The Beyer DTs come in three impedance options - 32 ohms, 250 ohms, and 600 ohms. Beyer suggests the 32 ohm models (on newer models these have a "p" suffix, like T70p vs T70) for mobile use, and they're designed with mobile devices in mind. I'm not sure how well the smart-phone will power them - I know my Walkman will drive most dynamic headphones, but I don't even know how it compares to an iPod in that regard. The last time I tried my phone with my mobiles it was horrible (it couldn't drive them to a loud enough level). So I just gave up on using the phone.
For mobile use, I would suggest closed headphones. That includes the DT770. Also the T70p (although I think they're a bit top-heavy/tizzy, they isolate very well and they're exceptionally detailed for something that you could take out and about). The Denon D2000s are another good pick, but as people have been saying, they don't isolate super well. Another consideration would be in-ears.
I think any of these should drive from a competent PDP (like a Walkman and probably an iPod (I would like to believe the iPod has that much grunt)), otherwise get a small portable amp and be finished with it.

I am getting a portable amp. I'm looking at either a Fiio e17 or maybe a HeadRoom portable micro amp. I'm not exactly sure. I don't care much for the portable headphones. I don't like how small they are. I like my headphones to big. (like ath m50's) I'd rather get the T70 over the T70 p. I'm of a bigger build so it doesn't seem all that heavy to me :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back