Buying New Pair of Headphones
May 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

arvbuddy

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I am back for more :) Apparently I caught something called upgraditis or something xD Anyways here are the details.

I own a pair of ATH M50's and I was actually disappointed. Don't hate on me just yet. I just thought from all the reviews I read about them that they would be this amazing pair of cans and that they'd be to die for. When I first got them I was jumping for joy, but I soon realized they weren't what I was expecting. I felt like, well I think it's what is called the soundstage, was just awful. Keep in mind these were my first set of headphones. I do think it's okay quality, but the bass just sucks in my mind. I also tried a friends pair of beats to see the bass and that was awful. -__- I decided I would stick with the ATH M50's for then. The beats have just like a bam kind of noise and the ATH M50's are too quiet, so I'm back for more :)

Secondly, let me establish my price range, preferences, etc. I have none :D jk jk I have about between $600 and $700 to spend. I listen to music on my LG Optimus T smartphone. I usually listen to either rock or dubstep. I don't have a portable amp or anything. As for the environment, I mainly listen to my music at my school.

I'm looking for a good honest thought out answer. I would like to thank you very much in advance! ^.^

EDIT: Also, maybe suggest a better listening device? My phone sucks >.>

May 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 20

Audius

Head-Fier
Past the ATH-M50 mark (~$150) You're basically looking at something at either requires an amp to sound good, or is a portable pair of earphones like the ER-4S. Quite frankly if you have 700-800 dollars to spend for a portable setup, I wouldn't spend over $400. A good pair and a good amp/DAC combo can be bought for about that price. The D2K's are good, the K550
s are quite balance and compared to the D2K a lot, and the ER-4S, or even some earsonic SM3's would fit you nicely, IMO.

The fact is that you'll basically never get a true chest thumping bass unless you use actual speakers and subwoofers. If the ATH-M50's suck to you, you probably just need an amp/EQ setup more than anything. Mine makes any headphone do the musical equivalent of purring, even if they're pretty bad cans.

buy a nice portable amp/dac combo.= my advice.

May 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 20

AFRO insomniac

Head-Fier
You also might want to consider a better source than your smartphone (i.e. Cowon, iPod with a LOD, etc) and make sure that you are playing high bit rate files (you can get improvement by using better quality music files).

May 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 20

arvbuddy

New Head-Fier
Quote:
Past the ATH-M50 mark (~$150) You're basically looking at something at either requires an amp to sound good, or is a portable pair of earphones like the ER-4S. Quite frankly if you have 700-800 dollars to spend for a portable setup, I wouldn't spend over $400. A good pair and a good amp/DAC combo can be bought for about that price. The D2K's are good, the K550
s are quite balance and compared to the D2K a lot, and the ER-4S, or even some earsonic SM3's would fit you nicely, IMO.

The fact is that you'll basically never get a true chest thumping bass unless you use actual speakers and subwoofers. If the ATH-M50's suck to you, you probably just need an amp/EQ setup more than anything. Mine makes any headphone do the musical equivalent of purring, even if they're pretty bad cans.

buy a nice portable amp/dac combo.= my advice.

Well what would you suggest for an amp then? I'm all for saving money, but I would also like some true quality.
Quote:
You also might want to consider a better source than your smartphone (i.e. Cowon, iPod with a LOD, etc) and make sure that you are playing high bit rate files (you can get improvement by using better quality music files).

Any suggestions? I've never heard of Cowon and I heard the iPod isn't that powerful?

May 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 20

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, if you want a closed hp that does bass right for your music taste, I would suggest:

Fiio e10+denon d2k= $370

May 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 20

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
Lol...you shouldn't worry about quality with Beyers. They are some of the best in the business really. My bad on the fiio. I meant e17 and not the e10. Nice catch!!

May 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 20

arvbuddy

New Head-Fier
Quote:
Lol...you shouldn't worry about quality with Beyers. They are some of the best in the business really. My bad on the fiio. I meant e17 and not the e10. Nice catch!!

It's alright. But you said Denons...and now you are saying Beyers. I'm starting to get confused. 
confused.gif

May 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 20

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I like most of the Beyers. I owned the dt990/600 and the dt770/250. The dt990 was my favorite. Kinda wish that I still owned them. The e17 would rock the socks on either of those Beyers 
tongue.gif

May 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 20

arvbuddy

New Head-Fier
Quote:
I like most of the Beyers. I owned the dt990/600 and the dt770/250. The dt990 was my favorite. Kinda wish that I still owned them. The e17 would rock the socks on either of those Beyers 
tongue.gif

What I'm worried about is aren't they open headphones? I mostly listen to my music while I'm at school or around other people, so wouldn't they leak a lot?

May 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 20

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
The m50's technically monitors of course. I was not a huge fan of them when I owned them. For me the bass was loose and the sound was not really balanced at all. The dt770 is a popular hp and it known for it's strong bass line and sparkle to the treble. Built like a tank...German engineering...think BMW. It's quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread