Buying From China
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AfricanProphet

100+ Head-Fier
Do any of you guys have suspicions when buying something online (say from ebay) when the item is located in China? I'm talking about headphones, amps, etc. I try to stay away from anything priced way lower than everything else if its in China, but could some of the like priced items be fakes?

All advice is appreciated

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 13
I do not use ebay, but I've never had any problem with any of the Head-Fi sponsors who may be based in China.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 13
You need to be wary when you buy anything from China on Ebay. There are definitely a lot of fakes. You also have to take into consideration the hassle it would be if you eed to return it, have it serviced, etc.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 13
^^If it is a Chinese brand then you should not have any worries (i.e. tube amps etc.).

darthsmile.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Bought some things from China...Some were in awful condition and the communication was difficult (of course) but at least they refunded me...

Purchased some other stuff and it was a pleasant experience...Its a hit or miss situation...

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Depends on what I am looking to buy, and from whom.
In short, I have no problem buying from a renowned manufacturer/dealer. Buying expensive goods from an unknown source on the other hand.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 13
This may be a bit ["A bit?" Wayyyy off!] off topic, but I have been thinking lately about the historical precedent to our current financial/economic mess - nevermind the political part of it all, and we can't discuss that anyway.

Long, long ago the Romans decided they liked eastern silks and spices. They traded their precious gold to India for these things, and ran up a huge deficit, or rather, most of their gold went to India, since no one in those days of more honest money, ran up what we call deficits. Later, it got so bad that the Senate regulated how many silk dresses a Roman lady could own. Later still, Rome bought off barbarians who were about to overrun them [not really barbarians, in the sense of savages, but that's for another discussion] with pepper, IIRC twenty tons of it to one tribe which was at the very gates. When the Empire fell, Europe went into an econcomic depression which lasted for centuries - we call it the Dark Ages. You see, they had almost no gold or silver to coin money. During the same era, India enjoyed a golden age. Europe did not recover until the silver Thaler, precursor to the Dollar, revived trade.

Now, it's America and China, and no, I'm not saying here to NOT buy Chinese. I'm just saying that these things cycle over and over in history.

Does this make sense to anyone? ["Oh, there goes Laz with his philosopical musings again..."]

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 13
Laz - interesting, as always.

I've been picking up more SACDs lately, with a number coming from China. I've had no problems and continue to be surprised at how quickly something arrives from the other side of the world.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 13
I have bought many things from China, electronic and not ... had good customer service from the sellers every time ... had a faulty webcam at one point, the seller gave me a full refund very quickly ... dealing with the headphone amp seller that I recently dealt with was very satisfying also .. I no ill words for Chinese ebay sellers ... we can all get along : )))) (and have some crab rangoons)

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have bought many things from China, electronic and not ... had good customer service from the sellers every time ... had a faulty webcam at one point, the seller gave me a full refund very quickly ... dealing with the headphone amp seller that I recently dealt with was very satisfying also .. I no ill words for Chinese ebay sellers ... we can all get along : )))) (and have some crab rangoons)

You did NOT just say crab rangoons! crab rangoon! No 'S'!!!!!! Sorry, I work sometimes at a Chinese takeout place, Crab Rangoon is the most commonly ordered food, and half of all people call it 'Crab Rangoons.' Wisconsin accent also doesn't help the 'a's.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 13
China is now a world economic power and although there has been a problem with counterfeit products in the past, I think your chances of getting a fair deal on what you purchased are about as good as anywhere.
Just don't by the full set of Callaway Golf clubs for $299 + $49 for shipping
wink_face.gif

There are several well established and reputable companies from China that are doing well selling head-phone audio gear, much of it to the west. It would only make sense for them to play it straight and continue to turn a profit.

But, with anything eBay.....research your seller and read what others have to say in their feedback.

Personally I've only dealt with Little Tube and I didn't use eBay, but it wouldn't have mattered f I had. Little Tubes reputation for a great product at a fair price with top-notch customer service is well deserved imo.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 13
I've always just taken a look at the feedback, and have been fine. It may take 3 weeks to arrive, the seller may not communicate, but at the end, I've gotten a great, working product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back