Buying first good headphones
Sep 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BoazM

New Head-Fier
So here's the deal...

My birthday is coming up and I'm going to ask for some good headphones instead of the usual crappy 10 bucks ones. But there are a couple of conditions. First of all, I'm not sure how much my parents would spend on 1 gift for me, but I'm pretty sure it's between 100-150 euros. Another important thing is that I'd like it to have a detachable cord so I won't have to throw it away after 1/2 years. I'm going to use it mainly for music indoors and I'd like them to be over-ear.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm not sure how euro conversions work, but I think the ATH M50's are in your price range. Apparently they're a good all around set of headphones, and although they don't have a detachable cord they look to be very sturdy (I've seen reviews that reflect this). I don't own these, just making a recommendation based off your requests.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 13
Shure SRH840.

Solid build, excellent sound for the money, can be played from a decent portable without amping, detachable cable, good with all genres IMO.  Even though I own the more expensive cans in my signature, the SRH840 is the only headphone I'm seriously considering rebuying again.  They are "that good".

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Another recommendation for the 840. They just have no glaring weaknesses. Everything else I try under $200 has some flaw I can't get past but the 840s are very solid.

Well, a little bit of an abrupt/poppy mid-bass hump but that's my only complaint.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Since you're planning to use them "indoors" (I take that to mean at home?) if you have a powerful amp you should also consider AKGs. Most of their full-sized models sound excellent for their with an amp but downrght terrible without one. That goes for my 240s which are nor permanently plugged into my pioneer.

At the $80 I paid they compete with the 840s but only if being fed tons of power. 
Out of a soundcard they sound like.. Beats studios or ipod 1 earbuds or something else terrifyingly bad

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Thnx for all the replies guys.

There is one problem: Most of these headphones are around 200 euros. So I don't think my parent will buy them. The cheapest is the SRH840, which is 149. I might be able to get that one. Also don't mean what machoboy means with 840...

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 13
I meant SRH840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back