Buying Cable Materials in Canada (Toronto)
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TSi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I've looked at a lot of amazing DIY cables that headfi members have made and that has caused me to stand up from my chair and actually think about trying to make some DIY cables!

Right now, I'm thinking of making mini-mini cables, maybe later on towards optical and other such. So I do know the basics, i need cables, connectors, heat shrinks, shielding. What else do I need.

I'm pretty sure tools wise, theres not much problem, A pair of cable cutters / strippers, soldering iron, solder. And what else?

Also, I've actually started to look at some stores for cables and accessories, but then I actually have NO clue where to get them. I prefer to get them in stores (instead of online) and hopefully in store prices aren't that much more expensive.

Anyways, I'm basically looking for places that I can get DIY materials for cables and hopefully I can get started soon!! Thanks.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 12
yo man! im from kingston so...same kinda story-ish. takefiveaudio is SUPER good for ordering cable stuff - the best in my experience. very very fast shipping to within canada too, no crossing borders etc that u deal with from using international retailers. take five has a pretty solid selection of all ur basics too, wire, heatshrink, techflex, multifilament, solder, connectors (a bit limited), im missing a ton, but they cover most of the bases pretty well. if you need more specialized components, IC's, or a bit of a different wider selection of wires/heatshrink/etc, try parts connexion (sponsor link on the right). theyre canadian too i believe, ordering is always pretty smooth with them. i usually prefer to go with takefive though, as u can pay online and via paypal which is nice. pCx u need to write down the part numbers from the online catalog and then place the order over the phone by credit card. cheers hope this helps, feel free to pm me

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Nope, there are generally no retail stores that sell good quality stuff. TakeFive is quite expensive but they have a nice selection of connectors and heatshrink / sleeving / tubing. PartsConnexion has much better prices on wire and the connectors they carry.

It's still worth ordering from the states on some stuff. I always bought navships SPC wire off eBay in Toronto. Also would highly recommend Redco.com for CHEAP wire/connectors, easily the best prices, but they don't have many boutique cables or connectors.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, there are generally no retail stores that sell good quality stuff. TakeFive is quite expensive but they have a nice selection of connectors and heatshrink / sleeving / tubing. PartsConnexion has much better prices on wire and the connectors they carry.

It's still worth ordering from the states on some stuff. I always bought navships SPC wire off eBay in Toronto. Also would highly recommend Redco.com for CHEAP wire/connectors, easily the best prices, but they don't have many boutique cables or connectors.

redco.com is good, but they really jacked up the price for shipping (I guess b/c USPS did?)

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 12
You could try the stores listed in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/lis...r-help-267968/

They might not have the audiophile cables that you're looking for, but to most of the stores do carry the basic materials to make your first few sets of cables.

If you feel that your EQ is at the point where cables will make a difference, then you'd probably be better off ordering premium cables and connectors (and solder while you're at it.)

oh BTW, if you find any good stores in Toronto, please post them here. (I've been having little luck searching for good headphone cables also... so far I haven't even been able to find canare cable...)

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by empty265 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try the stores listed in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/lis...r-help-267968/

They might not have the audiophile cables that you're looking for, but to most of the stores do carry the basic materials to make your first few sets of cables.

If you feel that your EQ is at the point where cables will make a difference, then you'd probably be better off ordering premium cables and connectors (and solder while you're at it.)

oh BTW, if you find any good stores in Toronto, please post them here. (I've been having little luck searching for good headphone cables also... so far I haven't even been able to find canare cable...)

Although it's a nice collection of electronics stores in Toronto (of which I've visited every single one of, except PartsConnexion, but I don't think they actually have a "store"), none carry any reasonable cable and definitely none carry any good connectors. It's simply easier to order online.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Maybe we fellow Canadians can set up some sort of "bulk buy" so that we can get stuff at a discount or something and have it shipped once so shipping fee wont be as brutal.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe we fellow Canadians can set up some sort of "bulk buy" so that we can get stuff at a discount or something and have it shipped once so shipping fee wont be as brutal.

It's really not "brutal", no offense, but seriously get over it, I've just moved down to SF from Toronto a few months ago, there is nothing special about ordering parts here vs in Canada from any supplier. Generally it's the same prices everywhere, just accept that you'll pay $15-$20 in shipping costs for a good shipping time and order it. Sure, some suppliers will make it about $8-$10, but do you really care about the extra $5-$10 when it saves you a week in waiting, hopefully not, just get your parts quicker and start building!

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really not "brutal", no offense, but seriously get over it, I've just moved down to SF from Toronto a few months ago, there is nothing special about ordering parts here vs in Canada from any supplier. Generally it's the same prices everywhere, just accept that you'll pay $15-$20 in shipping costs for a good shipping time and order it. Sure, some suppliers will make it about $8-$10, but do you really care about the extra $5-$10 when it saves you a week in waiting, hopefully not, just get your parts quicker and start building!

that 5-10$ dont matter much to me IF i was rich =D, but now im still a poor guy (and will only get poorer from audio stuff) and so those extra $5, $5, $5 will eventuall add up!

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 12
welp, been to sayal today.

theres a lot of different wires, different colour heat shrink and difference sizes, but thats about it =(

i did bought 4 mini connectors (male) for 6$ (3$ for a pair) some flex sleeves (red) and heat shrink for 1st diy cable ever.

after i made it, i found that the connectors were... "what you pay for" not tat great, so maybe i will actually have to start looking into the online stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back