Buying Blindly, HD650 or DT880
Aug 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #16 of 44
Neil,

You might want to consider the HD600 (or 580...same drivers) instead of the hd650. I owned a 580 and listened to the 650 for a few hours (well amped), and found the 600/580 to be a lot more clear and detailed. It reminded me of the dt880 which I also have owned ('03 250 ohm version). I'd say the 600 is the midpoint between the dt880 & hd650, although if you prefer clarity I'd go for the dt880.

Also I have always yearned to try the 600 ohm dt880 as i've heard nothing but very good things about them since they are said to remedy all the problems with the non-600ohm versions. IMO, that is one amazing headphone. If you get those, let me know how they sound!

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #17 of 44
Definitely go with the 600's instead of the 650's. I had a bad impression of Sennheiser for a while because all I had heard was the HD650, then I heard the HD600's one day and was shocked to find that it was a much better headphone.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 44
Yup definitely choose between the 600 & dt880 i'd say.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup definitely choose between the 600 & dt880 i'd say.

I have been thinking about this, and its very hard to gauge without being able to listen to any of them.
frown.gif

However, I do think the HD600 looks quite bad though, and the 580 even worse. but thats not such a big deal.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 44
You've certainly chosen two fine 'phones, but as you've probably noticed, they vary widely in character. I do own both pair, the HD650 for several years and the DT880 just recently, but while I find the 650s perhaps the "better" all-around performer, I've been enjoying the heck out of the 880s. Be careful when reading that one or the other lacks bass or rolls off highs. Both these 'phones are fully capable of exposing the full spectrum of music. The perception that they may be lacking in some area comes more from their presentation than their performance. The Beyers sport a much more forward and lively presentation, and while the bass does not have the fullness of the Sennheisers, it is impressively tight and articulate. The HD650s, on the other hand, have a very laid back presentation, perhaps to a fault. What passes as rolled off highs is actually a very neutral balance, top to bottom of the spectrum. While not as initially energetic as the Beyers, they can be listened to far past the point at which the DT880s can become a bit tiring.

Frankly you could sit down with both these headphones, switching from one to the other, and just when you've thought you've made up your mind find yourself drawn to some aspect of the other's performance. I'm not willing to give up either, and while I'm not suggesting you purchase both, I don't think you should feel bad having chosen either of them. However, whichever one you do chose, I'd resist the temptation of listening to the other lest you find your wallet lightened by the cost of owning both pairs.

Good luck to you.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 44
While we're spending your money, I'd definitely budget in the near term for a decent amplifier for whichever of these two you purchase. You really don't achieve the full potential of either of these 'phones (or pretty much any decent full sized headphone) without proper amplification.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been thinking about this, and its very hard to gauge without being able to listen to any of them.
frown.gif

However, I do think the HD600 looks quite bad though, and the 580 even worse. but thats not such a big deal.

I really have no idea how you came to this conclusion since the 580/600/650 look pretty much exactly the same except for some really slight changes in color and maybe a litttle different housing.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've certainly chosen two fine 'phones, but as you've probably noticed, they vary widely in character. I do own both pair, the HD650 for several years and the DT880 just recently, but while I find the 650s perhaps the "better" all-around performer, I've been enjoying the heck out of the 880s. Be careful when reading that one or the other lacks bass or rolls off highs. Both these 'phones are fully capable of exposing the full spectrum of music. The perception that they may be lacking in some area comes more from their presentation than their performance. The Beyers sport a much more forward and lively presentation, and while the bass does not have the fullness of the Sennheisers, it is impressively tight and articulate. The HD650s, on the other hand, have a very laid back presentation, perhaps to a fault. What passes as rolled off highs is actually a very neutral balance, top to bottom of the spectrum. While not as initially energetic as the Beyers, they can be listened to far past the point at which the DT880s can become a bit tiring.

Frankly you could sit down with both these headphones, switching from one to the other, and just when you've thought you've made up your mind find yourself drawn to some aspect of the other's performance. I'm not willing to give up either, and while I'm not suggesting you purchase both, I don't think you should feel bad having chosen either of them. However, whichever one you do chose, I'd resist the temptation of listening to the other lest you find your wallet lightened by the cost of owning both pairs.

Good luck to you.

Very useful response. Thanks.

I think im leaning toward the Senn's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really have no idea how you came to this conclusion since the 580/600/650 look pretty much exactly the same except for some really slight changes in color and maybe a litttle different housing.

Its mainly the finish of the 600's it looks a bit tacky for an expensive headphone, IMO.

but if i was choosing between the 600 and 650 sound sig. Is there really that much between them? ive heard the 650 has more 'lush' mids and deeper bass than the 600 which attached me more towards them, in terms of sound their sig that others have discribed.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #24 of 44
Yep, the DT880/600 ohm is defiantely better and in my opnion, a much more even balanced sounding headphone than the 250ohm. Combine this with the details of the DT880 signature, I would say the DT880/600 for your needs.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #26 of 44
Funny to read all those mixed feelings.
I'm still A/Bing my HD600 and DT880 but so far I like the DT880 better except for Johnny Cash and some other folk music. The DT880 is a lot warmer but the HD600 lacks bass.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny to read all those mixed feelings.
I'm still A/Bing my HD600 and DT880 but so far I like the DT880 better except for Johnny Cash and some other folk music. The DT880 is a lot warmer but the HD600 lacks bass.

Interesting to say they sound warmer, as most say the Senn sound is warmer.

I have another question for everyone here;

out of the DT880 and hd650/600, which has a nicer 3d 'back -front' sound stage and seperation and 'air' between instruments?? infact, even if its 650 vs 600.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 44
I like both headphones, but I am not as familiar with DT880 on rock music as HD650, which do quite well on rock. The 880s have a more forward upper mid/treble range which makes details easier to hear, the 650s produce the details but the top end is relaxed a bit.

I would try to audition both, because it's kind of a close call. If you listen at really loud volumes the 650s would be preferable though.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to say they sound warmer, as most say the Senn sound is warmer.

I have another question for everyone here;

out of the DT880 and hd650/600, which has a nicer 3d 'back -front' sound stage and seperation and 'air' between instruments?? infact, even if its 650 vs 600.

Thanks.

As between the 880 and 650 - the 880 has the bigger stage, both side to side and front to back. It also has a greater sense of seperation.

This can be a good thing (for example, it is amazing when listening to choral music), but in some other genres/tracks, I find it a bit distracting. As I mentioned in my comment on page one of this thread, the more compressed sound of the HD650's gives a faster and more congruent presentation, which I far prefer when listening to rock music and most R&B.

[edit: just to clarify the above - when i say "compressed" it is only in comparison to the 880's. the HD650's are still totally open phones with a good outside the head sound stage. their presentation is by no means closed in, like you would get with even premium closed 'phones.]

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 44
I think the OP seems to be shifting between what attributes he wants in a can...first you were asking for detail, balance, and accuracy, but then kind of forget about it when the word lush comes up haha.

Dt880 does all of the above IMO, while the 600 comes close but lacks soundstage, clarity/detail, bass extension, and highs in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back