Buying Blindly, HD650 or DT880
Aug 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
I cant find anywhere around that stocks these and will let you try them. So i guess i will have to buy without listening to them. From reading about them the HD650 and DT880 sound like they would suit my taste best.

Which would you recomend? I like a detailed and balanced sound with a good stage, but also something that sounds 'smooth'.

I will mostly listening to Rock, Prog rock, Metal, Ambient, acousitc, electronic.. and most things basicly...
I also do a little music production, so more accuracy is important.

Thanks for any input...

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 44
accuracy is more a dt880 trait than an hd650

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 44
Only compared these once and I preferred my HD650, but could very well live with the DT880. HD650 seemed to give a fuller more musical sound, DT880 maybe a bit more detailed. Both are great cans and if you buy blind I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.
This was a comparison on a good amp, the Solo, so take it for what it's worth.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 44
If you plan on getting an amp or have one then get the dt880 600ohm, this version of the 880's has no sibilance issues and is more richer and defined with than the 250ohm which IMO are more balanced than the 650.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan on getting an amp or have one then get the dt880 600ohm, this version of the 880's has no sibilance issues and is more richer and defined with than the 250ohm which IMO are more balanced than the 650.

While I truly enjoy my DT880 600ohm, I still prefer my HD650. It has better bass and is more refined. I recommend the 650.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 44
The DT880's are probably more "neutral," noticeably faster, more detailed, better with more energetic music. Less bass than the 650's, more highs. They're definitely a much better monitor than the 650's. I prefer them to the 650's.

However, you also say you want smooth which the 650s certainly are - they're noticeably rolled off. I didn't really notice that very much until I heard other good 'phones and realized the 650's are lacking in that respect.

I honestly can't think why you would come to comparing these two - they're pretty different.

Also, to the two one word responses... can you really not spend a minute giving a reason?

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock, Prog rock, Metal - DT880
Jazz,classical,acoustic,soft music in general,female vocals - HD650

I have to disagree with this. I like rock far better on my 650's, and I tend to pick up my 880's when listening to jazz and choral. (I prefer the 650's for strings and brass.)

At least when driven by my Woo 3, the 650's are (to my ears) a faster headphone, and better able to deal with complex passages in rock music. They have a decent stage, but are more compressed sounding than the 880's. Distortion sounds meatier on the 650's, and their mid-bass gives the sound a pleasant fullness. The 650's are generally smooth in the trebles and always make for a pleasant listen. They are a great all arounder. [880's can also be a little too bright on some tracks.]

That said, the 880's have a wider stage, more separation, probably more detail, brighter trebles, and harder hitting deep bass. [I have compared back to back with the ultrasone test tracks, and there can be no doubt about it, for deep bass, the 880's trump the 650's by a wide margin.]

I'm sure you would enjoy either option, but I would steer you towards the Senns.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 44
Thanks for the responces, some very varried and contradicting opinions, as i have noticed a lot of on head fi, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

Are you open to buying other headphones, or just the HD650 and DT880?

What is your budget for buying headphones?

Which is your higher priority - accuracy for music production, smooth sounding, or detailed and balanced sound with good stage?

I will be running them out of a EMU 0404 USB atm. I will be looking into getting a dedicated amp soon, possibly tube.

I've pretty much looked around these forums and the rest of the web at opinions, and these two sound like they are a sound i am looking for and have a very good rep. I am open to other sugestions, keep in mind that hi fi shops around London (of all places!) seem to be crap for hi end headphones and i would probably be bying blindly. so a good rep is a big plus.

budget would be, not anything over £300 at very most. <£250 would be better tho.

An musical 'phone would be the main thing i guess. but i would definitely want hear clear tone and timbre of instruments. I say smooth because the speakers that i own (Warrfedale 9.1's), i would describe as having a smooth overall tone, without getting muddled or muddy at all and staying crisp and clear when needed. and i quite like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, you also say you want smooth which the 650s certainly are - they're noticeably rolled off. I didn't really notice that very much until I heard other good 'phones and realized the 650's are lacking in that respect.

The rolled of highs that people talk about are one thing that is a concern on the 650's. If not directly comparing to another phone, does it really have that much of an impact on the overall treble sounds and tone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock, Prog rock, Metal - DT880
Jazz,classical,acoustic,soft music in general,female vocals - HD650

Interesting, i listen to Rock, Prog rock, Metal the most, yet alot of female vocals as well. Check out My Last.fm page , thats about 80% of my listening listed there, if it helps.

Thanks for the help... im still not sure what to go for at this moment, but im leaning a bit more towards the HD650's.

BTW if anyone knows any stores that stock these 'phones around London, please mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back