buying a used mac for ipod...crazy or not?
Jul 23, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
I don't know how you're abusing your computer, but I haven't rebooted my Windows boxes in quite a while... and the only time I need to is when software installation requires me to. No crashes to report in XP or 2000...

Same. XP has only crashed once, and I can't remember why. Prior to my last reboot I had an 8-week uptime with XP.

- Chris

Jul 23, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #32 of 55
That being said, however, I would love to own a Mac. Gonna be a while until I can save up that amount of cash, though
wink.gif

- Chris

Jul 23, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #33 of 55
minya,

check out www.powermax.com

great used apple products. i've done business with them both through work and at home and have had only excellent experiences. they do a great job of inspecting and testing everything they ship out.

new apple stuff is expensive- so get it used/refurbished!

Jul 23, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Polygon
Let me simply say that it isn't as fast as Apple said it was.

And you know this how?

As far as I know, no G5's have been made available for testing to third party's except for VeriTest and NASA. Both of these entity's tests show the G5 kicking Dell's ass in speed tests. In the absence of any other hard data that would show these clames to be inaccurate, I would accept Apple's clames at face value. At least for now, until the G5's hit the street and everyone and his brother has the chance to run there own tests.

Jul 23, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

I don't know how you're abusing your computer, but I haven't rebooted my Windows boxes in quite a while... and the only time I need to is when software installation requires me to. No crashes to report in XP or 2000...

Quote:

Same. XP has only crashed once, and I can't remember why. Prior to my last reboot I had an 8-week uptime with XP.

Word
very_evil_smiley.gif

Crashes are not limited to a platform or OS (Win98 or Me not withstanding). It has more to do with bad drivers (see "bleading edge hardware), and/or software (see "games", "beta", or "MS Word"). Once I get my system setup, or after I get a new piece of hardware or software installed and working, WinNT, Win2k, & WinXP are all pretty solid. I've worked on plenty of unstable Mac systems in my day too (see "bad fonts").

Jul 23, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #38 of 55
Agree jpelg. Can't speak about prior to OSX, but I will say there's a pretty night and day difference between the last ten months on my Mac and the previous many years on the PC. Except of a few things, I'm running almost exactly the same software (Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.) and most of the same peripherals (Canon printer & scanner, external LaCie burner, etc.). You're right it only takes one driver to screw things up. But I've had up to three Windows machines running here at a time and I've found the Mac hype to be justified in the crash/maintenance department. I certainly would have wiped my drive and done a clean install in this time (I used to do that about every 6 months for optimal performance) and haven't had to out of need or desire on the Mac. The Mac faithful can be really irritating in my opinion, but in this one area I think they’re right.

Fonts are definitely something that still needs work though. OSX’s agnostic approach towards working with Mac and PC fonts makes it even more complicated.

Jul 24, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by cyberhazard
And you know this how?

As far as I know, no G5's have been made available for testing to third party's except for VeriTest and NASA. Both of these entity's tests show the G5 kicking Dell's ass in speed tests. In the absence of any other hard data that would show these clames to be inaccurate, I would accept Apple's clames at face value. At least for now, until the G5's hit the street and everyone and his brother has the chance to run there own tests.

It is a well known fact in the computer industry that Apple has always bent the truth. For instance their L3 cache was simply overclocked DDR. That is NOT cache, it is too slow. Here is a link to truth about the misleading Apple benchmarks on the G5. It is a long read, but it comes from another Mac user, so it isn't biased.

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

Jul 24, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Polygon
Here is a link to truth about the misleading Apple benchmarks on the G5. It is a long read, but it comes from another Mac user, so it isn't biased.

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

Yep, that's the absolute truth. Surely if you came across that much discussed link on /. or the like you saw the slew of counter arguements against his findings starting the very next day (and not just from Apple). The debate continues. Ol' biased NASA was impressed.
rolleyes.gif

As stated before why don't you wait for production before making your grand claims?

Is there a Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field? Yes.
Does it apply to everything Apple? No.

Jul 24, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Why not just get a dedicated audio system instead of spending all of that money on portables?

A wild guess... but could it be because it's portable?
I don't know about you but at certain times of the year my main idle time is when I'm travelling. I don't want to drag a big old discman, an amp and an unwieldy set of phones around with me.

Jul 24, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Why not just get a dedicated audio system instead of spending all of that money on portables?

This is the most confusing non-MERTON/USC Goose question I've read at Head-Fi.

TimSchirmer, I'm sure you mean something different than I expect so could you please explain?

Jul 24, 2003 at 12:10 PM Post #44 of 55
I lost count of how many Xp BSODs I got...

But I've gotten exactly two Kernel Panics in one year from the imac, and that was after visiting Audiocubes with the first Safari beta.

Dunno what it was that caused kernel panics just visiting Audiocubes, but it's solved now.

And I can sync a PocketPC to an Ipod to a t610...all at once.
wink.gif

But I can't video conference. So yeah, ups and downs with each OS.
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
I lost count of how many Xp BSODs I got...

I can.. All on one hand. (Okay, fine.. maybe two hands and a few toes)
tongue.gif
Maybe it's my inept abilities with Macintosh, but I manage to crash those just by unplugging my iPod before dragging the damn thing to the trash
tongue.gif

Plus it's way too damn bubbly (Sorta the way WindowsXP is in it's stock form..).. Too "cute".

But aside from that, I really haven't had much experience with Mac's enough to bash them too much. But then, for me at least, both XP and 2000 rarely, if ever, crash on me... And I'm overclocking and everything, to boot.. [But maybe it's 'cause I'm a geek and reformat every few months anyway... not long enough for the BSoDs to brew.
evil_smiley.gif
]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back