buying a used mac for ipod...crazy or not?
Jul 22, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 55
Hmm.. Are you currently using a Windows based box? [or *nix based?]

If you're using a Windows-based box, why not just buy a cheap firewire card? I went down to the local computer shop and bought a cheap $20 card [to go with my Adaptec DuoConnect whose firewire never seemed to work...], and go with that. It'll probably be cheaper than a used Mac, and take up less room, to boot.

[If you're worried that you have a Mac iPod, the firmware can be re-flashed for PC, or you can use XPlay which will allow it to stay in Mac mode.]

Jul 22, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 55
It depends on which mac, and what condition it's in. I got a new imac for my ipod and it's the best computing decision I've made.

...except for video conferencing. Mac's are still hopelessly in the darkages there.. but I'm sure mac lemmings will tell you about the wonders of ichat av.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 55
i have an ipod, i have a windows pc, i have a firewire card (which incidentally keeps needing uninstalling and reinstalling for some bizzare reason..grrr)

i just want to use the whole mac/itunes experience, becuase people keep telling me it's so good.

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 55
I swear to god, the iPod was the beginning of my 'switch' to OSX. Walked in an Apple store and the iPod's design (I was a NJB owner and the Zen had yet to appear as had a windows version of the iPod) blew me away. The next day I was researching Apple and its relatively new OS. A month later I bought a used dual G4 from a dotcom startup gone bust. After nearly 20 years in the Windows world, it took about a week and a half for it to become my main computer. I say take a jump and see if you like it. I couldn't be happier.

On a side note, you know a Windows version of iTunes (supporting Apple Music Store) should be out in the next couple of months, right?

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
I say take a jump and see if you like it.

Buy used.
smily_headphones1.gif
At worst, if you jump and decide you'd rather not splat on the pavement, your PC will always be there, and you can always sell the Mac and (hopefully) get your investment back.

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 55
Jul 22, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 55
Volkswagen is now having a promotion that when you buy a Beetle, they'll throw in an iPod. I guess they figure Beetle buyers are predominately Mac users?

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by brent_mr2
Volkswagen is now having a promotion that when you buy a Beetle, they'll throw in an iPod. I guess they figure Beetle buyers are predominately Mac users?

How can you make the connection between iPods and Apple usage? A lot of people I know that have iPods are using them with PCs...

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
How can you make the connection between iPods and Apple usage? A lot of people I know that have iPods are using them with PCs...

Those iPods are from Apple also!
wink.gif

Not sure either logic works, but if you think about the aesthetics, there may be some connection between people attracted to Beetles and iMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks, etc. Who knows? Commercial here.

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 55
I bought Win version iPod. I was so impressed with it I bought an iBook not long after. Reflashed the iPod to the Mac firmware and never looked back...

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Those iPods are from Apple also!
wink.gif

The iPods may be from Apple, but that doesn't mean anything in regards to Mac usage. I have an iPod, does that mean I'm using a Mac? No. He used the work "predominantly." Over which demographic? Most of the people I know with iPods use PCs. But that's just me.

Oh well.. Petty issue
smily_headphones1.gif
I love my iPod and my PC, and would never think of getting a Mac
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 55
No biggie vwap. Just loved the sentence How can you make the connection between iPods and Apple usage?

I think I read somewhere (prior to 3rd gen introduction) PC iPods were slightly outselling Mac ones, so you may have a point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back