Buying a pair of new headphones, help? AKG K240MkII vs AT ATH-M50
Apr 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

virtuoso1007

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and I'm between the K240mkII's and the ATH-M50...and I guess I might as well throw the K271 MkIIs in there too.

It seems like the general consensus is that the M50s have a more extended bass and the the K240 has less, but not insignificant, bass with a larger soundstage than the M50s. I 'think' I'd rather have the larger soundstage of the semi-open K240mkII than the isolation of the M50s...but not sure. Opinions?

I really don't know which one would suit me better, so any/all info you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

My problem is that I listen to just about everything: jazz, classical, rock, country, hip-hop, punk....etc. It'd probably be easier to say that the only genres I don't listen to are rap and metal. So, I want to pick the most versatile pair of HP's that I can find. Feel free to suggest other models too, but after reading other threads, it seems like these are the two I'm considering most.

May 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi virtuoso1007

As a newcomer to Head-Fi myself, the questions you asked are very theoretical.  Can analyze specs and opinions till the cows come home.  But ultimately, it's very subjective.

As a new owner of the K240 MKII (which I bought just last week and prefered over the ATH-M50 myself), I'd like to hear what you think of the K271 version.

F.R.

May 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 6
The K240 MKII are flat and well balanced with a bigger sound stage (great for jazz, classical, rock, country) compare to the bassy M-50 (good for hip-hop). I prefer the K702 , but you'll need to add some hps amp. Try to get a used one, like the headfive for around $120 on FS thread.

May 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
The K240 MKII are flat and well balanced with a bigger sound stage (great for jazz, classical, rock, country) compare to the bassy M-50 (good for hip-hop). I prefer the K702 , but you'll need to add some hps amp.

I agree. Acix has never led me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back