Buying a new tv, any input on it?
Jan 10, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand those people who like 120hz TV's -- the motion looks vastly unnatural, like its too perfect. I think gaming on it would be good, if you can average 120 fps on the native resolution on that TV.

However, if you like that, do buy it if it makes you happy. Though like all things, keep your eyes open, go everywhere, and try playing a familiar movie on some of 'em if you can.

The tv is not trully 120hz (I don't believe there is a real 120hz tv in the market avail;able to buy), it's just interpolation at work. Which to my mind is now better then upping the gammer, applying nessesarry filters to darken some 'shades' and using sharping to the extreme. None of which are good. A telivision/projector is best having a balance of the three colour groups in gamma (usually not very high) and no software emulation should be required with a well made/produced telivision/projector (apart from those neccessary to make suitable to a darkened room compared to one in an open lounge etc).

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Projector. 300%. TVs suck. You can score and HD projector for under 400 bones on ebay. Much better than any TV.

The problem is the bulb life, I use a full HD DIY'ed projector for that very reason (bulb's only cost $20 and I replace them every few thousand hours, though they do last longer but start lossing some of there brightness). Plus I can also upgrade and change parts/components as I please. Whilst I prefer a projector I do see the merits in a telivision. The biggest one is a television in comparision has little to no need to be in a light controlled room whereas for a projector to trully shine, it does need to be in a light controlled room. For me that's not a problem, as I like bieng in a setting similiar to a movie theatre (albiet a much nicer movie theatre then I have ever been to), which of course means minimilised light and the beam of light caused by the projector above you.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 44
$650 AU built me a DIY full HD projector. + I find the models that sell for little on ebay to have a poor array of colours and greyscaling ability. That bieng said, they are good value for the money (untill the bulb comes into the equation).

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #35 of 44
Yes, the Panasonic Plasma I got is good, but for another room with more windows, I recently went with a new Samsung LCD. cursory research will show Samsung and Sony to be excellent on LCD in your price range, while for a darker room, I'd go with a Panasonic Plasma again.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #36 of 44
Plasma is still king you need to do more looking, there are never trails on a good one .end of story................................

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying a new TV, any input on it?

Oh yeah most of them have plenty of inputs these days.

HA! Get it??

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was originally set on a Panasonic plasma, but after watching some for a while I can't get past the picture noise and phosphor trails.

Say what? I have a 50" panasonic plasma monitor, the commercial version with no sound or tuner, and I've never seen anything like that. If I had I would have sent it back. Three years later the picture still kicks @ss.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 44
My friend who I'm rooming with next year got this Spectre TV from Micro Center.

Micro Center - X42BV-FullHD 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV

He got it for $1000, which was a steal at the time. It's still a steal now that it's $600. And yeah, bigger is better. I say get the biggest TV you can, but his TV there above is definitely a great size.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #40 of 44
PLASMA TVS RULE EM ALL "THOSE WHO KNOW, KNOW"

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PLASMA TVS RULE EM ALL "THOSE WHO KNOW, KNOW"

Know what? They obviously don't how to use the shift key.

Plasmas also use more energy than my fridge.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #44 of 44
Sorry cash68, I forgot caps ment I was yelling.....Just on a cause and very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back