Buying a new tv, any input on it?
Nov 28, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in the market for a tv for my bedroom. I have been out looking at many, and I think I have narrowed it down to one finally. I was originally set on a Panasonic plasma, but after watching some for a while I can't get past the picture noise and phosphor trails. So plasma is out. I have settled on a Mitsubishi LT52149, 52" 1080p 120hz lcd hdtv. This is the only set I've seen that has what I can only describe as a 3d like image. I am a gamer and lcd seems like a better choice for video gaming. Anyone here have this set, or a Mitsubishi lcd in general? Any other input on models you think I should look at and why? Budget is $2500. I will be using it with a U-Verse box for HD, and a PS3 for Blu Ray.

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 44
Mitsubishi makes a decent LCD but they tend to be overpriced for the image quality they deliver. I was looking at the 244/144 series when they came out but went with a Toshiba thin bezel design as it was cheaper and just as good.

You seem to have found your set so go for it.

If you want another model to check out take a good look at the Samsung LN52A650 series. They are very well received both by the public and review sites and it is a lot cheaper than what you are looking at for the Mitsu.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was originally set on a Panasonic plasma, but after watching some for a while I can't get past the picture noise and phosphor trails. So plasma is out.
Thanks.

No please dont forget about plasma, if you want a real picture go plasma. Picture noise? that is also an issue on LCD well any kind of TV, just depends on the model your looking at. Phosphor trails? have you seen LCD motion artifacts the best LCDs still have this as a major problem.

I would suggest Pionner Elite if money is no problem. But if your on a bidget the Samsung plasam line is good for the money, look at the 550 series and above though the 450 aint bad for the price.

But LCD, meh i like to see colours and blacks, and i dont sit directly infront all the time.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 44
Agree with the above. Plasma is much better than LCD.
I wouldnt consider anything other than plasma for a 42"+ TV right now.
The Pioneer Kuro is astonishing. The panasonic sets arent too far off either.

If SED ever shows up there may be some competition, but until then, its plasma all the way.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 44
I don't understand those people who like 120hz TV's -- the motion looks vastly unnatural, like its too perfect. I think gaming on it would be good, if you can average 120 fps on the native resolution on that TV.

However, if you like that, do buy it if it makes you happy. Though like all things, keep your eyes open, go everywhere, and try playing a familiar movie on some of 'em if you can.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 44
Another vote for the Elite plasmas. Outstanding picture and black levels. I've been ga-ga on the 60" for a while but like everything else, De-nied Hogan.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand those people who like 120hz TV's -- the motion looks vastly unnatural

if you turn off the 120Hz interpolation you are left with a multiple of both 24 and 30 so you can get true 24fps playback on movies

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 44
I definitely can't swing an Elite plasma, but I will go spend some time with a non-Elite Kuro this weekend. The Mitsu has a lot of features I like, but after seeing it again the 3d like picture almost looks artificial to me, like it's over processing the image or something. This decision was tons easier back in the tube tv days.

Edit: hmm, it appears I can get a 58" Samsung plasma into my budget. I wonder if that might be too large for the bedroom though, viewing distance is 8 feet. Gotta watch a few tv's this weekend I guess!

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 44
ya man if its for your bedroom, i would suggest a 42 samsung plasma 550 series (pna42a550 i believe). for your bedroom you dont need the best, good should do, for me atleast i just fall asleep to the tv.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

The Mitsu has a lot of features I like, but after seeing it again the 3d like picture almost looks artificial to me, like it's over processing the image or something.

it is... store display tvs always have the 120Hz interpolation features turned on... ask if you can turn it off to see how things look without the TV trying to recreate frames that never existed

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 44
It could be too big, but it would be impressive watching 1080P stuff at that distance, the viewing distance calculator says that for a 42" screen only at 5.5ft can you fully resolve 1080P, so you'll be able to see a lot of it at 8ft.

To be frank, with HDTV I would go for slightly larger than smaller, ya, if all you are watching is CNN in your bedroom then 27" is great, but there's no wow factor there. And THAT is what HDTV is for.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 44
well... being in college, we have a Sony 40" TV in a small room that literally take away 1/10 of the room space. The TV is like 5 feet away from us, and it feels fine so far.

also, I can't help but notice that you mentioned you are a gamer, so.. here are some things you should look into before you purchase your TV

first. Is there such thing as "game mode" on the TV you are looking for? because most of the HDTV now days will up scale the input signal, and the up scaling process will produce frame lag.
Second. How is the input lag on the TV? Even with game mode on, some TV still has horrible response time. Do not judge by how well the TV will perform by responses time, because sometimes they can be misleading, go to some review site and look for the input lag time.

Third. If you are a gamer, then I suggest you to turn off the 120hz mode when you are playing games. I mean, 120hz is amazing to watch movie with, but when the TV try to up sample videos to 120hz, they will add in extra frames that does not fit into the gaming video. For example, when we play resistance 2 on a sony HDTV with 120hz on, our crossair seems like is going to disappear when ever we drag it across the screen

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

I'm in the market for a tv for my bedroom. I have been out looking at many, and I think I have narrowed it down to one finally. I was originally set on a Panasonic plasma, but after watching some for a while I can't get past the picture noise and phosphor trails. So plasma is out. I have settled on a Mitsubishi LT52149, 52" 1080p 120hz lcd hdtv. This is the only set I've seen that has what I can only describe as a 3d like image. I am a gamer and lcd seems like a better choice for video gaming. Anyone here have this set, or a Mitsubishi lcd in general? Any other input on models you think I should look at and why? Budget is $2500. I will be using it with a U-Verse box for HD, and a PS3 for Blu Ray.

Thanks.

Was out shopping for TV's with my brother and my nephew yesterday. My brother and I have a great deal of flat screen buying experience over the past year. Both Circuit City and Sony Style are selling the 52" XBR6 for $2500. This is a wonderful TV for that money. I highly recommend that you check it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back