Buying a new tv, any input on it?
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 44

skiflyer

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Posts
118
Likes
0
First of all, there's no such thing as too big. I sit just over 6 feet away from a 60 inch DLP, it's great. I did buy it when I lived in a bigger place, but I don't think it's bad at all in the smaller viewing area.

Second... I have to disagree with the plasma crew here, I'm not a big fan of plasma. I prefer the performance/price of the LCDs right now. Though most of the vapor trail/LCD artifacts/Ghosting you see on all but the cheapest LCD panels is not actually any of those things. It's almost all about Comcast or DirecTV signals not being properly compressed or error in transmission.

But both LCD & Plasma are very nice... I'm guessing you'd be happy with either.
 
Dec 1, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 44

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Posts
2,254
Likes
11
also if you don't intend on wall mounting you could consider a DLP TV as well
 
Dec 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 44

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Posts
2,817
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also if you don't intend on wall mounting you could consider a DLP TV as well


Not going to wall mount it, so that's not a bad idea.
 
Dec 2, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #19 of 44

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Posts
2,817
Likes
11
Alright, I think I have a plan. I can get a 67" led lit dlp with a 5 year warranty for $1850, and I'll put that in my living room. I'll take the 50" that's in the living room and put it in the bedroom, and buy a PS3 with the leftover cash!
 
Dec 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 44

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Posts
2,254
Likes
11
sounds like a plan
 
Dec 2, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #21 of 44

user18

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Posts
500
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want another model to check out take a good look at the Samsung LN52A650 series. They are very well received both by the public and review sites and it is a lot cheaper than what you are looking at for the Mitsu.


If you choose Samsung, go to a local store and compare matte vs. glossy screens. I originally was going to purchase an 650 Series screen, but settled with the 630 because it has a matte screen. I found the glossy screen finish to be highly distracting.
 
Dec 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #22 of 44

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Posts
2,817
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you choose Samsung, go to a local store and compare matte vs. glossy screens. I originally was going to purchase an 650 Series screen, but settled with the 630 because it has a matte screen. I found the glossy screen finish to be highly distracting.


Yeah, I'm not a fan of glossy screens in general. I've decided on a living room upgrade instead, looks like I'll be getting a 73" dlp, then stick the "old" tv in the bedroom.

Funny how things work out, I was limited to a 50" in the living room by my wife, then a year later I was divorced, ever since then I've been dreaming of a bigger tv!
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 44

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Posts
2,817
Likes
11
To revisit this thread. I finally got a new tv for the living room, it's a Mitsubishi WD-73736, 1080p dlp rptv. Initial impressions, picture looks great, need to spend some time getting the color settings right. Internal speakers are crap, luckily I don't use them much. The set is very quiet, much more so than my older Sony rptv. Blueray looks excellent, HD-DVD looks...well my 360 went rrod today after I hooked everything up, so it's in 36 pieces on the kitchen table currently (normally it sits below the ps3), I'll have to fix it and watch a few HD-DVD's tomorrow. HD U-Verse looks good, sd looks meh, but that's to be expected at this size I guess. Here's a quick crappy picture of my setup. Next upgrade is speakers, and I'm not looking forward to that!

newtv.JPG
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #24 of 44

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Posts
1,186
Likes
12
Projector. 300%. TVs suck. You can score and HD projector for under 400 bones on ebay. Much better than any TV.
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #25 of 44

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Posts
1,186
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To revisit this thread. I finally got a new tv for the living room, it's a Mitsubishi WD-73736, 1080p dlp rptv. Initial impressions, picture looks great, need to spend some time getting the color settings right. Internal speakers are crap, luckily I don't use them much. The set is very quiet, much more so than my older Sony rptv. Blueray looks excellent, HD-DVD looks...well my 360 went rrod today after I hooked everything up, so it's in 36 pieces on the kitchen table currently (normally it sits below the ps3), I'll have to fix it and watch a few HD-DVD's tomorrow. HD U-Verse looks good, sd looks meh, but that's to be expected at this size I guess. Here's a quick crappy picture of my setup. Next upgrade is speakers, and I'm not looking forward to that!

newtv.JPG



Wow man. 200% video, 30% audio. Weird setup.
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #27 of 44

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Posts
1,186
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm not a fan of glossy screens in general. I've decided on a living room upgrade instead, looks like I'll be getting a 73" dlp, then stick the "old" tv in the bedroom.
!



Glossy screens are a cost savings measure where they remove a feature, and instead try to market it AS a feature.
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #28 of 44

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Posts
1,186
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The speakers sound a lot bigger than they are,


Nah, they don't.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top