Buying 300$ range over ear headphones
Mar 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 27
Too bad you can't get an open headphone, HD600 or DT880 beat the pants off any closed headphone on your list (haven't heard the momentum, can't speak to those).  Heard the others and Mad dogs & K550 are the best on your list imo.  Both are very good for closed headphones but flawed.  K550 are fairly well balanced but have slightly weird/fake treble.  Modded T50RP are a very interesting option.  Some mods can measure perfectly.  But I heard one modded set that were all lower mids and bass with no sub-bass & no treble, music sounded like it came out of a long tube.  Mad Dogs were much better (but mods are proprietary and unknown) but similarly had too much mid-bass & weak mids & treble to my ears.  Despite this, they are the best closed headphone I've heard < $800 (or whatever LA7000 cost lol).

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
Too bad you can't get an open headphone, HD600 or DT880 beat the pants off any closed headphone on your list (haven't heard the momentum, can't speak to those).  Heard the others and Mad dogs & K550 are the best on your list imo.  Both are very good for closed headphones but flawed.  K550 are fairly well balanced but have slightly weird/fake treble.  Modded T50RP are a very interesting option.  Some mods can measure perfectly.  But I heard one modded set that were all lower mids and bass with no sub-bass & no treble, music sounded like it came out of a long tube.  Mad Dogs were much better (but mods are proprietary and unknown) but similarly had too much mid-bass & weak mids & treble to my ears.  Despite this, they are the best closed headphone I've heard < $800 (or whatever LA7000 cost lol).

I will get an open headphone in the near future. But then I'll probably aim for HiFiMan HE-400.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
Yeah the price for K550 on amazon.de went down today. Soundmagic HP100 is supposed to be weak on bass and is pretty bright. And yes, the fit worries me. =/  None of the stores near by have them so I could try for myself.

I was checking ebay for Mad Dogs, as expected without luck, but I did find Fostex t50rp for around 150€, or a bit less. Is there a huge difference between the two? I know Mad Dogs are modded t50rp, but like how? New speakers or just new pads..? Is fostex t50rp better than AKG K550? Can I mod t50rp to make it like (or at least closer to) Mad Dog -- like buy different pads, insert cotton in speakers, etc.

Thanks

Overall, I much prefer the Soundmagic HP100 to the AKG K550.
The HP100 are not weak on bass, nor are they bright.
I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and other than my Sony Z1000's they are my top closed headphone.
In fact I sold my Denon D2000's last week, and they are also very good.  I'm not saying the HP100's are
better than the Denon's, I'm saying I like them more.  All around greater clarity and a more comfortable fit.

The K550's are, to me, a project in flux trying to be everything to everyone and not fully succeeding.
I cannot recommend them.

Out of all the headphones you listed, my top choice are the Beyer DT880's which are, of course, semi-open.
Consistently terrific sound though, across many genres.  They do need an amp.

I have not yet heard the Mad Dogs or V Moda 100's.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 27
Ignoxio, do you already have an amp to go with your headphone purchase (whatever it may be)? Paying more for a headphone does not automatically translate to a better choice - in your list the Vmoda M100 has a bassy presentation, the K550 more analytical presentation, the Fostex has a different presentation and so on.... So don't worry about spending less than what you expected, invest the rest in a good amp. Pretty soon you will be spending more than you can afford..
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 27
I'm getting the FiiO E17. I know it's overkill for the K550 but I plan on buying new headphones in the future and it seems like a good choice if I'll be getting anything harder to drive. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
I'm getting the FiiO E17. I know it's overkill for the K550 but I plan on buying new headphones in the future and it seems like a good choice if I'll be getting anything harder to drive. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

IMO it's not 'overkill' at all for those headphones.

In fact, for a portable I think it's a very good match.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

IMO it's not 'overkill' at all for those headphones.

In fact, for a portable I think it's a very good match.

Have you tried the E17 w/ the K550? How would you say the amp improves the sound & how significant is the improvement?

Is it like switching to a different pair of headphones or is it just like EQ the music or is it just emphasizing the sound signature of the headphones?

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #26 of 27
Ok it's been 5 days, could anyone answer this?

Quote:
Have you tried the E17 w/ the K550? How would you say the amp improves the sound & how significant is the improvement?

Is it like switching to a different pair of headphones or is it just like EQ the music or is it just emphasizing the sound signature of the headphones?

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #27 of 27
I have heard the K550 with the Fiio E11, it adds some warmth to the otherwise neutral K550 without changing the true nature of the headphone. The E17 from the impressions I have read here may also be along the same lines but it definitely isn't going to sound like a different headphone!

If you are still interested in the Fostex T50RP, there is a European mod seller eltocliousus whom you can get in touch with. You can have a look at the Audible bond Fostex T50RP impression thread. Hope that helps, I myself am curious to give it a try!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back