Buyer's Anxiety?
Sep 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a first-time buyer in the online market, (My first online purchase ever, a $200-some pair of Audio-Technica ESW9s from HeadRoom, totalling $341.47 CDN w/ shipping; they were 50% off, and it happened literally five minutes ago), and I'm experiencing Buyer's Anxiety/Regret something fierce (FIERCE). Does anybody else get really bad anxiety when purchasing their earphones? Even of a lower price bracket, such as Grado SR60 or -80s.

It doesn't help that I'm a student and in a near-constant money-pinch (aren't all students, really?) and that I have to return a brand-new (three days old--) Boss RC-2 Loop Station to the store to be able to cover the headphone purchase in its entirety. (I was going to return it anyways, I found a sub-MSRP price on the Boss on eBay-- and yes, I ran it through a price calculator) However, until I return the pedal to the store tomorrow, I'm in debt.

THIS MAKES ME ANXIOUS.

TL;DR-- Do you suffer from buyers' anxiety, and do you make big sacrifices for your headphone obsessions?

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 43
Sure, for example I needed a new mouse amongst other things, but it's exciting isn't it?
When my two arrived I was overly critical which got to the point of having a placebo effect that for a while made me think they were no good, but I soon realized I was being ridiculous.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 43
That there placebo effect is dangerous. Especially considering the ESW9s will need burn-in. I hope I'm not too critical or too quick to judge. What a nightmare that'd be.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 43
Are you anxious about being in debt? I know banks have insanefees for overdrafts. I don't even consider buying anything unless I know a good amount of money is going to be left in my account. Headroom has an excellent return policy, and will refund you sans the shipping money. If it gets really bad, just call them and notify them you want to cancel your order.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 43
I think everyone gets anxious while waiting for the Fedex/UPS guy to show up.

I don't really make sacrifices though, I just spend what I can spare. Will never go into debt over headphones.. that is just dumb.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 43
Yup, I wouldn't compromise my financial safety for this hobby yet either. Be patient and wait for them to burn in or you might get confused by the continually changing characteristics of the headphones.
Wow too many big words huh.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 43
No, not really.

If you miss a deal something else always turns up sooner or later. And your tastes will change over time, too.

Try to look at the bigger picture. If you wait a few weeks or months for something, it doesn't matter that much.

Right now, I've been stuck at work so much I haven't had any time to DIY, or even listen as much as I would like to. But it isn't always going to be like this. I get in as much listening as I can and have been ordering and stockpiling parts for when I can DIY.

There's no point in getting anxious or worried. It doesn't help anything and just makes you feel worse.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 43
Technically I'm going to be in debt for about a day, only because I haven't returned the vastly-overpriced pedal yet and because I paid by credit card. Plus, I'm going to be getting a job in the (hopefully) near future. If all goes well, I should be able to get both the headphones and the pedal while keeping a + in the bank. Boss Pedals tend to trickle through eBay at a fairly even rate, so I'm in no real hurry to purchase a new one (Actually, I'll probably buy used-- Boss Pedals are invincible.)

Have I made a good decision in purchasing thee ESW9s? I've heard that they get eaten up pretty quick on Head-Fi, so if all else fails, I could probably sell them back here. Maybe even at a profit when the HeadRoom sale ends.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 43
I like the level headed advice here. Headphones are a luxury item that come far far after things like food, clothing and shelter. In my opinion they come far after a lot of other things too, like social events and just everyday stuff like taking your significant other out or eating a tub of Haagen Dazs
tongue.gif

...definitely don't even consider going into dept over audio equipment
confused_face_2.gif

EDIT on the plus side, after the initial loss of 20-30% of their retail value headphones tend to hold steady in price. As a member of headfi your phones are a fairly liquid asset, assuming you're realistic about the selling price.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the level headed advice here. Headphones are a luxury item that come far far after things like food, clothing and shelter. In my opinion they come far after a lot of other things too, like social events and just everyday stuff like taking your significant other out or eating a tub of Haagen Dazs
tongue.gif

...definitely don't even consider going into dept over audio equipment
confused_face_2.gif

As a student, food is covered by a separate account. Food and shelter are covered; they constitute part of my tuition money. The money I'm spending is from the 'personal expenditures' account left over from my last job. When I return the pedal (which is also a luxury, really) I'll have some cash in addition to the headphones.

I don't have a significant other, so that's not a problem (feels good man!), and I don't eat tubs of Haagen Dazs, or ice cream at all, really. My only real food luxury is coffee... while I'm a connoisseur of fine roasts, so is my dad, so my caffeine addiction is subsidized to an extent.

My point is that it's not so much debt so much as it is "a lack of personal spending money".

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around here, I view headphones as a form of currency. Sure, they lose some value, but so does the U.S. dollar. At least that's what I tell myself when I get anxious.

Hahaha... You know what, that's brilliant.

Consider Head-Fi as the equivalent of Wall Street.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 43
Actually you are just shifting your personal spending money around. You found a deal for the Boss thingy bob...and now shifting this personal "want" with something else. I presume that you shouldn't have a problem returning the overpriced item...which as has been mentioned, a similar deal will come up. Yes they always do.

I don't know how many times I just bought something...when a few days later something else comes along that that would have rock my socks off. If you are working on a budget then you do what you are doing...or be satisfied on what you already have. Only you can draw the line. This is a hobby...have fun!

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 43
double post....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back