Buyer didn't recieve his item
Jul 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Your fault then. 

People are nuts shipping internationally without proper tracking and insurance. If a buyer doesn't want to pay for it, move on. 

How is it anyones fault that I chose the cheapest shipping method? As I said in an earlier post, same shipping method got my old HeadAmp Pico to Canada in 7 working days. The package must be in US Customs and it's up to them..

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

How is it anyones fault that I chose the cheapest shipping method? As I said in an earlier post, same shipping method got my old HeadAmp Pico to Canada in 7 working days. The package must be in US Customs and it's up to them..

It is your fault for sending it the cheapest way and assuming it would all go fine.  It was the buyers fault for agreeing to the cheapest way and assuming it would all go fine.  It didn't go fine and now you are both messed up.  Cheapest is not a good deal if it doesn't work.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 24
First, sorry you are embroiled in this situation.
US Customs doesn't keep a package that long. If they keep it, it's usually pretty quick.
I would never sell or buy without tracking. It's not good for the buyer, not good for the seller. Without proof, I am afraid you are stuck. Hopefully the buyer is honest and will send the IEM's back or resend you the money if he receives them.
No tracking for a 20 dollar item, I understand. 250? No way....Heck, I even insure expensive items, just for peace of mind.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
This is why I ONLY ship by registered mail. Tracking. Insurance is something I put on for my own peace of mind.

^ This. Especially when shipping to foreign countries you need to cover your behind and make sure there is some form of tracking and delivery confirmation. Otherwise the a-hole can lie and say he didn't receive the item and get his money back while keeping your item. Sadly there are many bad people in this world who will take advantage of others trust.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 24
Hi Everyone --

The package arrived today and within 3 minutes Paypal had cancelled the dispute.

Johan (LostMySelf) should verify that this wording was in our communication BEFORE the sale was made, on June 3rd:

(From me) >>  " The main thing is to try to get good tracking information...."

If the seller includes "free shipping" he or she is responsible until the package is received.  If I had said "Use FedEx or DHL," etc., then at least some part of the responsibility would be mine.

Some other things I learned -- (1) US Customs duties on headphones, section 8518.30.2000, state that a 4.9% ad valorem tax is assessed on headphones.  This wouldn't have been any problem, EXCEPT that without tracking data, there was no way to be sure a package was even with US Customs.

(2) If shipping into the US, label the item as used (if it is) to reduce fees. Once that declaration is made they have to figure out the value of a used item, and may just let it go through.

However -- this parcel never went to US Customs.  There is no marking on the outside of the package indicating the reason(s) for the 6-week delivery delay, particularly since Johan expected a one-week transit.  Apparently, from Johan's research, it took 1 1/2 weeks for the parcel to even leave Sweden.

(3) ... Paypal rules are strict, and you must follow them precisely to protect your own interests.  In this case the claim had to be escalated within 45 days of sale, regardless of any other issues.

/J

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

It's your responsibility for making sure what the buyer is getting into concerning insurance and tracking, and making agreements regarding this before money changes hands is a good way to insure both parties are happy.
If you don't want to do it for the sake of the buyer, at least do it for your own sake: to cover your own behind in case something goes wrong.

In this case, both parties are wrong due to the aforementioned reason, and if it's been in transit or missing for a month now, I doubt it will turn up again, as US customs is not like EU customs, they don't normally
keep parcels for weeks at a time.
You don't really have many options except to chalk it up as a learning experience (albeit expensive).
It even says "DO NOT SEND INTERNATIONAL ITEMS WITHOUT TRACKING!"  in this exact size and font at the classifieds section, and you chose to forsake this, so it is your fault.

Edit: looks like you got lucky this time, but seriously use a shipping option with tracking next time to prevent further experiences such as this.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
Hi Everyone --

The package arrived today and within 3 minutes Paypal had cancelled the dispute.

Johan (LostMySelf) should verify that this wording was in our communication BEFORE the sale was made, on June 3rd:

(From me) >>  " The main thing is to try to get good tracking information...."

If the seller includes "free shipping" he or she is responsible until the package is received.  If I had said "Use FedEx or DHL," etc., then at least some part of the responsibility would be mine.

Some other things I learned -- (1) US Customs duties on headphones, section 8518.30.2000, state that a 4.9% ad valorem tax is assessed on headphones.  This wouldn't have been any problem, EXCEPT that without tracking data, there was no way to be sure a package was even with US Customs.

(2) If shipping into the US, label the item as used (if it is) to reduce fees. Once that declaration is made they have to figure out the value of a used item, and may just let it go through.

However -- this parcel never went to US Customs.  There is no marking on the outside of the package indicating the reason(s) for the 6-week delivery delay, particularly since Johan expected a one-week transit.  Apparently, from Johan's research, it took 1 1/2 weeks for the parcel to even leave Sweden.

(3) ... Paypal rules are strict, and you must follow them precisely to protect your own interests.  In this case the claim had to be escalated within 45 days of sale, regardless of any other issues.

/J

Would have been nice if you could have cleared up some of these things earlier.

That is a good reason to make a claim as otherwise you're up the creek later if you were scammed.  I don't know if you communicated this reasoning to the seller but it is not unreasonable.

If you did explicitly mention the tracking requirement and didn't later capitulate to the seller's wanting to ship without tracking, then the whole situation was completely the seller's fault and you were within your rights even outside of the 45 day restriction.

This is why I only buy internationally from conscientious shipper's who are thorough, experienced, quick to communicate, and professional.  It may be a lot to expect from your average anonymous forum-goer, but buying internationally is just too big of a risk otherwise.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:
Would have been nice if you could have cleared up some of these things earlier.

That is a good reason to make a claim as otherwise you're up the creek later if you were scammed.  I don't know if you communicated this reasoning to the seller but it is not unreasonable.

If you did explicitly mention the tracking requirement and didn't later capitulate to the seller's wanting to ship without tracking, then the whole situation was completely the seller's fault and you were within your rights even outside of the 45 day restriction.

This is why I only buy internationally from conscientious shipper's who are thorough, experienced, quick to communicate, and professional.  It may be a lot to expect from your average anonymous forum-goer, but buying internationally is just too big of a risk otherwise.

Actually I didn't find this thread until I was on the forum a few minutes ago, looking to give feedback on the seller.  But I would have acted in exactly the same way regardless -- I've had my share of learning experiences.  Without the tracking data, which was explicitly mentioned before the sale, there's no way to support the seller's assertions.  (And 3 weeks after the item supposedly shipped, asked again for copies of shipping documents.)

The seller also asked me to rescind the Paypal chargeback "for a week", which sent up all sorts of red flags.  Once you cancel something with Paypal, you're SOL.  Better hire a Geneva lawyer and take it to the Hague, 'cuz you ain't getting satisfaction on this side of the Atlantic.  Not from the Paypul-peeple.

Also -- I followed the head-fi threads about a month ago of all these folks getting scammed by someone in an Eastern European country,  There was no reason to have such risk exposure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back