Burson's sexy flagship: Burson Soloist Voyager. Pure Pure Class-A, 10Watts fully balanced
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #136 of 186
I had the chance to listen to Voyager at the Dallas CanJam BloomAudio booth. It was connected to the RME ADI-2 and I had my Susvaras with me.

Even before I walked up to the booth, the idea of auditioning Burson reference amp with *ADI-2 on Susvaras gave me goosebumps, as I am not a fan of bright-sounding gear. But nevertheless, I dared to give it a listen, and it took me less than 10 seconds to give up. I couldn't listen to anything Voyager had to offer.

I thought it could be the ADI-2 making it brighter, and probably the Voyager may not have gone through enough burning. But it is very evident how bright the Voyager is compared to my Soloist GT 2022. I am not sure if an amp can swing that far on the warmer side with burn-in.
I finally got around to trying my audeze LCD-X and whilst they are not in susvara territory they are still very listenable.

My first impressions were definitely not any additional brightness over my 2022 soloist GT. I listened to vinyl via technics SL-1200G ZYX cartridge and Ifi phono3 black phonostage. Definitely evidence of a more solid and enjoyable midrange.

I didn’t do an A/B (just from memory), although I still have the soloist GT I intend sell that soon.

I dont Think their is a huge difference between the 2 Burson amps for my headphones but there was a more balanced mid range. I would need to do A/B sessions to make comments on any differences in bass and treble.

I have found the biggest improvement with the voyager utilising my valve 300b monoblocks (WE 300b reissues) and also the Burson timekeeper monoblocks with the Klipsch Cornwall IV.

Note I listen to speakers 80% plus of the time and am mostly a headphones user mostly for noise reasons and late at night.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #137 of 186
The Voyager compared to the Enleum Amp23r, Holo Bliss and the Sparkos Aries has come out on top. All these amplifiers were connected to same front end and my HiFiMan HE1000se phones. One of my first observations of Voyager, after a few hundred music hours, was just how relaxing the amplifier sounds, I do not hear any grain or brightness beyond what might exist on some specific bright recordings. It‘s simply, a very revealing amplifier. Those that are hearing brightness need make sure it’s fully run in or look upstream in the music path and address the issue there, another words, don’t shoot the messenger.

I agree, it‘s also a knock out sounding preamp. To my surprise, Voyager, easily competes with my Holo Audio Serene and actually presents a more dimensional and denser filled out soundstage.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #138 of 186
The Voyager compared to the Enleum Amp23r, Holo Bliss and the Sparkos Aries has come out on top. All these amplifiers were connected to same front end and my HiFiMan HE1000se phones. One of my first observations of Voyager, after a few hundred music hours, was just how relaxing the amplifier sounds, I do not hear any grain or brightness beyond what might exist on some specific bright recordings. It‘s simply, a very revealing amplifier. Those that are hearing brightness need make sure it’s fully run in or look upstream in the music path and address the issue there, another words, don’t shoot the messenger.

I agree, it‘s also a knock out sounding preamp. To my surprise, Voyager, easily competes with my Holo Audio Serene and actually presents a more dimensional and denser filled out soundstage.
Can you elaborate on Voyager vs Bliss please?

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #139 of 186
Those that are hearing brightness need make sure it’s fully run in or look upstream in the music path and address the issue there, another words, don’t shoot the messenger.
When I posted my initial impressions the amp was still cold when the first song started playing & had 0 min of burn in.

Now, with 40+ hrs, this thing is starting to sound special. Really impressed with the three-dimensionality and amount of detail. Went down a rabbit hole searching the recommendations on Qobuz & listened to the first 3 songs on Harry Styles record ''Fine Line'' with the Abyss AB 1266. Incredible. Some of the best audio I've ever heard on anything.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #140 of 186
Can you elaborate on Voyager vs Bliss please?
I loved the sound of the Enleum Amp23r but frustratingly, the bottom two steps of volume control were almost always too loud even in its low gain setting, with my higher efficiency, headphones. I purchased the Bliss hoping it might have a similar sound, more volume control latitude and a preamp section that would work well with my power amp to drive my 2ch speakers system. I really had high expectations for the Bliss after all the excitment surrounding its launch. I tried several DACs, with different presentations trying to find a synergy with the Bliss. After months of run in, the Bliss presentation still sounded flat and never came close to the harmonic bloom, tone and natural sounding decay of the Enleum. The Voyager has many of the qualities of the Enleum, it’s engulfing in a similar manor, where you are surrounded or apart of the mix, achieving that palpable sense of the room or venue in which the recording was made. This see through quality is a slightly different acoustic than musical detail or density, listeners describe as layering. Nonetheless, both Enleum and Voyager provide all these qualities, where, in my system, the Bliss could not. The Bliss is well loved, and perhaps there was some odd system matching that did not allow me to flesh out its potential. Both the Voyager and the Amp23r present some classic tube like / Class A tone and texture characteristics I prefer that were never apparent in the Bliss. Voyager and the Amp23r are very similar, but Voyager brings slightly better dynamics and a more visceral controlled bottom end, and the Amp23r, a tiny bit more romance. These two amplifiers have the tonal qualities, listening ease and engagment that‘s good fit with my priorities.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #141 of 186
I loved the sound of the Enleum Amp23r but frustratingly, the bottom two steps of volume control were almost always too loud even in its low gain setting, with my higher efficiency, headphones. I purchased the Bliss hoping it might have a similar sound, more volume control latitude and a preamp section that would work well with my power amp to drive my 2ch speakers system. I really had high expectations for the Bliss after all the excitment surrounding its launch. I tried several DACs, with different presentations trying to find a synergy with the Bliss. After months of run in, the Bliss presentation still sounded flat and never came close to the harmonic bloom, tone and natural sounding decay of the Enleum. The Voyager has many of the qualities of the Enleum, it’s engulfing in a similar manor, where you are surrounded or apart of the mix, achieving that palpable sense of the room or venue in which the recording was made. This see through quality is a slightly different acoustic than musical detail or density, listeners describe as layering. Nonetheless, both Enleum and Voyager provide all these qualities, where, in my system, the Bliss could not. The Bliss is well loved, and perhaps there was some odd system matching that did not allow me to flesh out its potential. Both the Voyager and the Amp23r present some classic tube like / Class A tone and texture characteristics I prefer that were never apparent in the Bliss. Voyager and the Amp23r are very similar, but Voyager brings slightly better dynamics and a more visceral controlled bottom end, and the Amp23r, a tiny bit more romance. These two amplifiers have the tonal qualities, listening ease and engagment that‘s good fit with my priorities.
Hi, Vangelis! Thanks for the comparisons. Since I only have unbalanced source (Marantz SA-KI Ruby CD/SACD Player), I wonder if Soloist Voyager also performs so well if fed by RCA unbalanced source. Have you also tried running it with unbalanced source but with balanced headphones (mine will be Meze Empyrean Mk2) connected to 4 pin XLR headphone output of Voyager? Also, is you Voyager Standard or fully upgraded Deluxe version? Thanks!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #142 of 186
Oh,.you're already selling, then you've hardly had time to do a real burn-in.
I had my Voyager on a constant playlist for 165 hours before I felt it was enough.

Then I tried with 6 different XLR interconnects,.and some RCA interconnects. to optimize it against
my DAC.
And,.also tried some 4-pin XLR headphone-cables to optimize for my headphones.
• Do you really feel like you've
experienced what Voyager is
capable of delivering musically
after just one week.?
Hi Peder 29! I see you also tried running Soloist Voyager with RCA unbalanced source. Have you also tried running it with unbalanced RCA source BUT with balanced headphones connected to 4 pin XLR headphone output of Voyager? If yes, how the sound compares to all the way balanced (with XLR balanced source and balanced 4 pin XLR headphone connection)? Thanks!

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #143 of 186
Well I have been lurking around this thread for a fair bit waiting for my Soloist Voyager which is taking ages to come, but UPS just sent me a tomorrow delivery message. I can hardly sleep and it's 3 AM here and I have to make sure that I don't miss the UPS guys. Aye. Aye. Well after the burn in I will let you guys know how it sounds to my ears. Currently I am using a Chord Mojo 2 Dac sometimes swapped for a Topping DX-9 and I am anticipating the Headphone amplifier section head to head, though given the price of the Burson, I expect it to be a slam-dunk win for the Burson. I also have the Burson GT Timekeeper mono blocks and one of the main reasons for the Voyager is to switch my preamp to the Burson from the currently used Vincent Audio Preamp which isn't bad but I also expect a bump up on performance with my KEF LS-50s and JBL 4312 SE. So hopefully fun times ahead. Fingers crossed.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #144 of 186
Well I have been lurking around this thread for a fair bit waiting for my Soloist Voyager which is taking ages to come, but UPS just sent me a tomorrow delivery message. I can hardly sleep and it's 3 AM here and I have to make sure that I don't miss the UPS guys. Aye. Aye. [...]

Great news then, looking fwd for your thoughts.

What version did you bought: the one with V6 opamps or the one with V7?

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #145 of 186
When I posted my initial impressions the amp was still cold when the first song started playing & had 0 min of burn in.

Now, with 40+ hrs, this thing is starting to sound special. Really impressed with the three-dimensionality and amount of detail. Went down a rabbit hole searching the recommendations on Qobuz & listened to the first 3 songs on Harry Styles record ''Fine Line'' with the Abyss AB 1266. Incredible. Some of the best audio I've ever heard on anything.
I also found that there were sound improvements after a few weeks of running the voyager (actual play time around 30-40 hours). Everything I have thrown at it sounds great

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #146 of 186
I actually thought about getting the Soloist Voyager as it looks the cheaper option when I consider Denafrips' Artemis Headphone amp, the Pontus DAC, and perhaps a preamp. The issue... I can't get past needing a fan in the unit. I don't care how quiet the fan is (said to be), somewhere down the line you are going to hear it; even if subconsciously, you don't think you do.

Still, I like the amp, but I can't get past the fan, and why I ultimately looked past the 3XGT. And yes, I'm familiar with Noctua fans since I've used them in my PC builds.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #147 of 186
I actually thought about getting the Soloist Voyager as it looks the cheaper option when I consider Denafrips' Artemis Headphone amp, the Pontus DAC, and perhaps a preamp. The issue... I can't get past needing a fan in the unit. I don't care how quiet the fan is (said to be), somewhere down the line you are going to hear it; even if subconsciously, you don't think you do.

Still, I like the amp, but I can't get past the fan, and why I ultimately looked past the 3XGT. And yes, I'm familiar with Noctua fans since I've used them in my PC builds.
I definitely do not hear any fan noise in the Voyager even with my ear next to it.

The 3XGT yes I could hear the fan but in listening room where I was 3 to 4 metres away I couldn’t hear it above general background noise. Note I am not using a silent dedicated listening room or using a near field listening position.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #148 of 186
Note I am not using a silent dedicated listening room or using a near field listening position.
While I'm certainly not in a dedicated listening room, I am most definitely in a near field listening position...

My-PC-audiophile-system-setup.jpg

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #149 of 186
[...] The issue... I can't get past needing a fan in the unit. I don't care how quiet the fan is (said to be), somewhere down the line you are going to hear it; even if subconsciously, you don't think you do. [...]

AFAIK Voyager is completely noiseless, but let's please invite the owners to use their cellphones (SPL Meter or Decibel X) to measure the room loudness with vs. without the Voyager powered On.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back