Burson V7 Classic Pro and V7 Vivid Pro - Hi-Fi audiophile solid-state op-amps
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 195
I'm curious too about these, but Burson is still quiet about them.
Would like to try them in my Play.
It was about time for a new iteration. Still it seems they don't have in plan a V6i or something smaller.

Just wonder what version to buy when they will be available. Vivid or Classic.
Now I use a combination of V6. Vivid in I/V and Classic in the Buffer. At first it was the opposite, but they changed the sound a lot in time so I switched them.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #18 of 195
From the photos I saw, yes they are smaller, just not smaller enough for some devices - this is why I wonder why no "i" version since the V5i.
But it will be nice to know the size of the new ones. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #20 of 195

IMG_5299.jpg

20mm vs. 29mm

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 195
I do not understand this opamp swapping obsession. Opamps are analog components mainly characterized by their Gain-Bandwidth product and their noise performance. They are almost always used in closed loop systems. Arbitary changing Opamps in an electronic design changes its characteristics. Additionally integrated Opamps almost always have lower noise characteristics and and are closely matched, unlike the descrete ones. If you want a class A descrete component amplifier there is no need to use Opamps.

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #22 of 195
Burson op-amps are solid-state. I've already place in my first post this link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...ssion-and-reviews.854912/page-7#post-13711554, so everyone here can understand what's inside a V6 generation. The newer and smaller V7 Pro SS op-amps are biased in Class A, same as the power output stage.

Here on Head-Fi folks started to talk about the Burson Solid State op-amps since generation 4...or perhaps even before of that. I started testing these op-amps since gen. 5, so feel free to search within Head-Fi database some more interesting readings about them.

As you can see from my earlier measurements, harmonics profile is a bit different from one op-amp to another, so some golden-ears persons might hear different nuances of the music, most of these being usually very subtle. I'll see if I'll find in my shelves a few OPA1602 to try them out inside the Soloist GT, as these are the best measuring BJT-input op-amps I've ever seen.

I myself use at home -120 dB THD+N DAC and -150 dB ADC+APU (used for audio measurements) because I like to own high performance audio equipment, but that doesn't stops me to try other sort of audio equipment that in A/B tests might show different nuances of the voices, cymbals etc. I am an objectivist that looks for proofs when audio differences appears, so this is why I perform such audio measurements most of the times.

I remember a few years back how I managed to lower the background noise of my Objective2 headamp by swapping the default NJM2068 op-amp with a Burson V5, although on the paper the default NJM2608 or the later OPA1602 are more performant than the V5, so sometimes the final output sound might not match datasheets perfectly, so listening tests and probably different ways of measurement techniques might be required.

L.E.: AFAIK, Burson op-amps are made for audio use only and are optimised for Burson audio equipment, also several head-fiers are reporting audible improvements when using them inside non-Burson devices too.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 195
So, I have the Soloist 3XGT 2023 and I’m looking to get the V7 opamps. I only use the balanced headphone out, no preamp. Do I need to purchase 2, 4, or 6 V7’s? Also, if I want a mixture of the V7 vivid and V7 classic, what’s the best place to place each respectively? Thanks for the advice as it looks like these go on sale soon.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 195
There seems to be a big misunderstanding. Solid state does not mean integrated. The photos of the V6 that you linked present an electronic design consisting of DESCRETE components (transistors, resistors, capacitors). Single chip integrated Opamps have all these in a single piece of silicon.

If you alter the building blocks of a design by using components with different characteristics that the ones that was initially designed with, you will surely measure different results for the same input.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #25 of 195
So, I have the Soloist 3XGT 2023 and I’m looking to get the V7 opamps. I only use the balanced headphone out, no preamp. Do I need to purchase 2, 4, or 6 V7’s? Also, if I want a mixture of the V7 vivid and V7 classic, what’s the best place to place each respectively? Thanks for the advice as it looks like these go on sale soon.
Biggest changes will be when you change the I/V op-amps.
You can try with 4 - 2 Vivids and 2 classics - and see what combination you like. Put 2 Vivids in I/V and 2 classics in Buffer/Pre, then switch between them.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #26 of 195
Biggest changes will be when you change the I/V op-amps.
You can try with 4 - 2 Vivids and 2 classics - and see what combination you like. Put 2 Vivids in I/V and 2 classics in Buffer/Pre, then switch between them.
Great, thanks for the great advice. So I do you think if I replace 6 instead of the 4 you recommend it would make any difference? Do the other two make any difference? Thanks

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #27 of 195
There seems to be a big misunderstanding. Solid state does not mean integrated. The photos of the V6 that you linked present an electronic design consisting of DESCRETE components (transistors, resistors, capacitors). Single chip integrated Opamps have all these in a single piece of silicon.

If you alter the building blocks of a design by using components with different characteristics that the ones that was initially designed with, you will surely measure different results for the same input.
Then I'm not sure I fully understand your first question. Perhaps you might be better off if starting a new thread about swapping op-amps (unless there are already a few dozens) here on Head-Fi? Or you might simply swap a few op-amps in your audio gear, do some A/B listening tests (if possible) and if you get some timber changes then do some measurements as well and see if there's anything getting changed in the sound-waves...just my 2 cents.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #28 of 195
I'll soon mix the Classic and Vivid and get back to you, thanks!

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #30 of 195
Then I'm not sure I fully understand your first question. Perhaps you might be better off if starting a new thread about swapping op-amps (unless there are already a few dozens) here on Head-Fi? Or you might simply swap a few op-amps in your audio gear, do some A/B listening tests (if possible) and if you get some timber changes then do some measurements as well and see if there's anything getting changed in the sound-waves...just my 2 cents.
I am sorry if my remarks were offensive to you. This was not my intent. But since you are into measurements you should first measure the frequency response of the amplifier and see if it was altered. A change of a few dBs of a harmonic signal 120dB below the wanted signal (inaudible) is almost of no importance. Anyway sorry for interrupting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back