Burson V7 Classic Pro and V7 Vivid Pro - Hi-Fi audiophile solid-state op-amps
Feb 13, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #31 of 193
Not feeling offended at all, sorry if I let you feel this way, it's just I'm not sure if I was fully understanding your initial message. Freq. response is perfectly flat across audible band, not even 0.1dB difference, 32-tone AP file gave me about 115dB difference, so the only thing I see as being modified when swapping op-amps are the harmonics profile...basically the 2nd and the 3rd one, because the higher harmonics are much lower and probably inaudible.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #32 of 193
So, I have the Soloist 3XGT 2023 and I’m looking to get the V7 opamps. I only use the balanced headphone out, no preamp. Do I need to purchase 2, 4, or 6 V7’s? Also, if I want a mixture of the V7 vivid and V7 classic, what’s the best place to place each respectively? Thanks for the advice as it looks like these go on sale soon.
Ideally would be to swap the old ones with the new ones, all six of them, but if you want to invest less you might try swapping the two op-amps from the Voltage Amplification Stage (the Gain Stage). Below is a V7 Pro Classic op-amp placed into the socket position that changes most of the character of the sound.

IMG_5312_.jpg

V7 Vivid in the Input and Output stages and V7 Classic in the Gain stage

Headphones_XLR_Out-GainLow_4.25V-V7VividClassic_.png

When mixing V7 Vivid with V7 Classic op-amps the 2nd and 3rd harmonics are a bit higher than using only V7 Vivid or only V7 Classic

I feel that sound gets even better in this combination of op-amps, perhaps detailed and organic at the same time, but it's hard to tell much right now because it's too late and I'm tired, but I'll try next days to do an A/B test against another audio device, write down the differences (if exists), then swap the op-amps and write any audible differences again.

For the moment, my favorite combination would be one from above.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #33 of 193
Ideally would be to swap the old ones with the new ones, all six of them, but if you want to invest less you might try swapping the two op-amps from the Voltage Amplification Stage (the Gain Stage). Below is a V7 Pro Classic op-amp placed into the socket position that changes most of the character of the sound.

IMG_5312_.jpg
V7 Vivid in the Input and Output stages and V7 Classic in the Gain stage

Headphones_XLR_Out-GainLow_4.25V-V7VividClassic_.png
When mixing V7 Vivid with V7 Classic op-amps the 2nd and 3rd harmonics are a bit higher than using only V7 Vivid or only V7 Classic

I feel that sound gets even better in this combination of op-amps, perhaps detailed and organic at the same time, but it's hard to tell much right now because it's too late and I'm tired, but I'll try next days to do an A/B test against another audio device, write down the differences (if exists), then swap the op-amps and write any audible differences again.

For the moment, my favorite combination would be one from above.
That’s very helpful! Hopefully they go on sale this week or soon. My plan is to get 2 Vivid Pro, 2 Classics, and either leave the V6s in the volume control buffer stage, or if the prices are fair enough, just get 4 vivids and 2 classics. I could hopefully transfer those to the Voyager when I order one down the road. Thanks again for the informed findings.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #36 of 193
V6Vividx3_vs_V7Vividx3-SpectrumDelta.png

V6 Vivid vs. V7 Pro Vivid sound measurements differences
I got the -6 dBFS white noise file from AudioCheck and I was using the DeltaWave comparator and it resulted the above audio spectrum differences. We can see that below 14.6 kHz the differences are extremely low, but above 14.6 kHz these are increasing (probably the microdetails some of us seem to hear?!?).

Some textual differences between V6 Vivid vs. V7 Vivid are below:
  • Gain= -0.0014dB (0.9998x) DC=0 Phase offset=58.232606ms (2795.165 samples)
  • Difference (rms) = -80.45dB [-91.99dBA]
  • Correlated Null Depth=92.33dB [99.08dBA]
  • Clock drift: -0.07 ppm
When two audio files are identical then the rms difference is -400dB, but in our case the difference is -80dB, so as per above the V6 and V7 sound files are different. If this tiny difference is audible or not is up to the golden ears to tell us or perhaps to a well conducted A/B test. Since then, my ears are inclined to like the sound of 2 x V7 Vivid + 1 x V7 Classic in my Soloist GT 2023 headphones amplifier.

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #37 of 193
V6Vividx3_vs_V7Vividx3-SpectrumDelta.png
V6 Vivid vs. V7 Pro Vivid sound measurements differences
I got the -6 dBFS white noise file from AudioCheck and I was using the DeltaWave comparator and it resulted the above audio spectrum differences. We can see that below 14.6 kHz the differences are extremely low, but above 14.6 kHz these are increasing (probably the microdetails some of us seem to hear?!?).

Some textual differences between V6 Vivid vs. V7 Vivid are below:
  • Gain= -0.0014dB (0.9998x) DC=0 Phase offset=58.232606ms (2795.165 samples)
  • Difference (rms) = -80.45dB [-91.99dBA]
  • Correlated Null Depth=92.33dB [99.08dBA]
  • Clock drift: -0.07 ppm
When two audio files are identical then the rms difference is -400dB, but in our case the difference is -80dB, so as per above the V6 and V7 sound files are different. If this tiny difference is audible or not is up to the golden ears to tell us or perhaps to a well conducted A/B test. Since then, my ears are inclined to like the sound of 2 x V7 Vivid + 1 x V7 Classic in my Soloist GT 2023 headphones amplifier.
What are your subjective impressions now

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #39 of 193
Currently wondering how long it'll take before someone pops a set of these into a little bear b4x 😅
I’d have to remove the window from my B4-X case in order to fit them in, but that would just be wrong, so it won’t be me that does it.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #40 of 193
What are your subjective impressions now
Too early to provide a definitive answer yet, mostly because I had not enough time to blind test it. However, as per initial impressions, I find that the 4 x V7 Pro Vivid + 2 x V7 Pro Classic combination is being the more musical one. I'm eager to read other's impressions about this combination, but I still need to wait for the market to open for this product.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 193
V6 Vivid I had in my Soloist GT 2023 and after swapping them with V7 Pro Vivid I got a bit more micro-details, although now I find the sound of V7 Pro Vivid / Classic combination more appealing to my taste. I previously liked the sound of mixed Vivid / Classic on the V6 gen., so it looks I like doing the same in the V7 gen. is what my ears like.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #43 of 193
V6 Vivid I had in my Soloist GT 2023 and after swapping them with V7 Pro Vivid I got a bit more micro-details, although now I find the sound of V7 Pro Vivid / Classic combination more appealing to my taste. I previously liked the sound of mixed Vivid / Classic on the V6 gen., so it looks I like doing the same in the V7 gen. is what my ears like.
Correct me if i am wrong the only difference is slight improvement in micro details? From v6 to v7?

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #45 of 193
I've been looking forward to the V7's for years. The V6's are great-- my 3rd favorite op amp in terms of sound reproduction, and my top pick when a smaller form factor is required. I think the big question is how the V7's compare to the Sparkos SS2590's? As much as I like the sound of the SS2590's they are difficult to install due to their size. The SS2590's almost always require extension leads (which does degrade the sound quality just a little), and there is always a concern that they will short circuit with another component or the case. I'm afraid to move my amps at all out of fear that the op amps will shift. If the V7's are able to alleviate those issues while being close in sound quality, then I'm all in.

From everything that has been said thus far it seems that the V7's are a step up from the V6's, but outside of that I haven't seen comparisons with any other op amps. Is anyone planning on comparing the V7's to the SS2590's?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back