Burson Soloist vs Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear vs Beyerdynamic A1
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

horatiu

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am trying to find the best amplifier to go between my M2 Tech Young DAC and my Sennheiser HD650. I am also planning to replace the HD650 with LCD-3 sometime next year.

I have narrowed down the choices to Burson Soloist, Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear and Beyerdynamic A1, the A1 beying the most expensive in this list.

I have read many great reviews about all of them, especially the Soloist (and it's precursor HA-160) and BCL, however I did not find many comparisons between the two that can help my decision. From what I have read, BCL has a clearer sound than the HA-160 while the Burson has more attack on low frequencies. The Soloist seems to be a good improvement over the HA-160 but I don't know how it stands against the BCL or the A1.

Unfortunately I cannot order all of them, wait until they all burn-in and then compare, therefore I hope you can help with this decision.
Obviously I am open for any other recommendations as long as they are at a decent price :D.

Oh, in terms of musical preferences, I would point out metal, slow rock, sometimes pop, jazz-pop, jazz-rock, atmospheric, symphonic (especially cellos and violins). The list is not exhaustive by any means, but I would exclude rap, hip-hop and electronic. I prefer a sound that is as clear as possible without losing its musicality. I do not like a heavy coloured sound but, while certainly not a bass-head, I do like a powerful, tight and precise bass.

Thank you,
Horatiu

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 2
         If you want an amp that is honest to the source I suggest you add the bryston balanced amp bha-1 to your list.I have lcd2 v2s and I have heard them with the bryston and I have to say that it easily bests any amp that I have heard  with my lcd 2s.I heard a bcl and the bryston smoked it it was not even close the bryston was way better.The bryston is the only amp that I have heard that really awakens the lcd2.The sound balance of the lcd2 is somewhat warmish with most any amp that I have heard them with.But with the bryston the sound balance becomes way more neutral.The bass is just spectacular with the lcd2 on the bryston.The bryston amp is more expensive but not a lot more expensive than the soolist but considering it is a balanced design it has huge advantages over single ended designs and is easily worth the extra expendature over the other amps you mentioned.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back