Burson Soloist SL MK2 Appreciation/Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #107 of 165
Can anyone recommend headphones for the mk2 for around £500. main issue is comfort and the ability of the amp to handle bass heavy reggae, electronic dance at higher volume levels with total clarity and no distortion. is the mk2 described as powerful ok for this. senn'y cans are no good as i don't find them comfortable due to hard earpad material. i now use an earmax pro with dt880 600's great for acoustics vocals classical etc but not excelling in genres described above. also would my modimultibit dac be good with the mk 2.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #108 of 165
  Can anyone recommend headphones for the mk2 for around £500. main issue is comfort and the ability of the amp to handle bass heavy reggae, electronic dance at higher volume levels with total clarity and no distortion. is the mk2 described as powerful ok for this. senn'y cans are no good as i don't find them comfortable due to hard earpad material. i now use an earmax pro with dt880 600's great for acoustics vocals classical etc but not excelling in genres described above. also would my modimultibit dac be good with the mk 2.

hd700 might be good for the reasons above, AKG too 

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #109 of 165

I listen to a lot of bass heavy electronic music and love it with my Beyer T90's. I find it extremely satisfying with tons of clarity although some may want more bass response.

For when I want to be a basshead I have the JVC HA-SZ2000's. I find those two headphones to be a nice one two punch. The T90's rarely leave my head though.

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #110 of 165
Anyone owning or planning to get the combo STX II + SL MKII in order to hook an HD650 to it,  possible disappointment awaits you.  The reasons:

1)  STX II is an extremely distant audio source, even with the Burson V5 op amps running on it.  On some occasions, it feels like the image stretches near my grandma's house, 100 meters away from here.  No impact, density, very boring to listen to.  I repeat, on SOME occassions, not always.  It rarely satisfies my ears the way I would wanted though due to its more or less, distant signal.

2) Burson MKII is also a touch laid back sounding amp, pushing the signal just a bit backwards.   It should make a perfect match with an "in your face" source or something close to that I suppose.  The main issue here is the source not the amp.

3) The HD650 are commonly recognized as laid back headphones, and I agree.  

You get the picture...

PS.  The HD600 with their slightly more forward stance are quite more enjoyable and acceptable (far from being ideal though)  with this setup.  The HD650 got their place back into the box they came with until I change my source as they are totally useless for the time being.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #111 of 165
  Anyone owning or planning to get the combo STX II + SL MKII in order to hook an HD650 to it,  possible disappointment awaits you.  The reasons:

1)  STX II is an extremely distant audio source, even with the Burson V5 op amps running on it.  On some occasions, it feels like the image stretches near my grandma's house, 100 meters away from here.  No impact, density, very boring to listen to.  I repeat, on SOME occassions, not always.  It rarely satisfies my ears the way I would wanted though due to its more or less, distant signal.

2) Burson MKII is also a touch laid back sounding amp, pushing the signal just a bit backwards.   It should make a perfect match with an "in your face" source or something close to that I suppose.  The main issue here is the source not the amp.

You get the picture...

PS.  The HD600 with their slightly more forward stance are quite more enjoyable and acceptable (far from being ideal though)  with this setup.  The HD650 got their place back into the box they came with until I change my source as they are totally useless for the time being.

The MK2 (when I had it), STX II and HD650 I find to be clear and dynamic, not the way you describe them. At least not to a point where I'd say they are lacking impact or are boring. Maybe your in need of a new motherboard and possibly PSU. I upgraded from my old five/six year old Asus motherboard to a new modern Asus one and it definitely changed the sound, the dynamics, clarity and impact improved noticeably. All this being said though, I'm more into relaxed and natural sounding audio so maybe your thoughts on the MK2, STX II and HD650 are just personal preference, if your PC is in fact reasonably up to date with no issues.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #112 of 165
  The MK2 (when I had it), STX II and HD650 I find to be clear and dynamic, not the way you describe them. At least not to a point where I'd say they are lacking impact or are boring. Maybe your in need of a new motherboard and possibly PSU. I upgraded from my old five/six year old Asus motherboard to a new modern Asus one and it definitely changed the sound, the dynamics, clarity and impact improved noticeably. All this being said though, I'm more into relaxed and natural sounding audio so maybe your thoughts on the MK2, STX II and HD650 are just personal preference, if your PC is in fact reasonably up to date with no issues.

Thanks a lot for your reply.   I had literally no idea that an old motherboard may actually affect the sound card's performance in such a way that you describe it.   All I know is that the STX II requires a PCI-e 2.0 socket and a clean power molex connection.

The computer that I'm using for audio was built in 2009, it runs on a Gigabyte chipset and Corsair HX1000 PSU.  I know it's very old but also very stable and healthy even today despite continuous 15/24 operation.  All this time it's been used for web browsing and music only.

I'm gonna build a low-budget mid tower next week (I was thinking to pass the old one to a friend anyways) and see if anything changes.

Btw, may I ask what amp you've got instead of MKII?   Are you still using STX II for the source?  My music preferences are similar to yours.  It just happens this otherwise terrific audio card to sound just a tad more distant than it should,  sucking the juice out of many tracks.  Hopefully the new mobo will fix this, if not I'll get a new source, possibly external.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #113 of 165
  Thanks a lot for your reply.   I had literally no idea that an old motherboard may actually affect the sound card's performance in such a way that you describe it.   All I know is that the STX II requires a PCI-e 2.0 socket and a clean power molex connection.

The computer that I'm using for audio was built in 2009, it runs on a Gigabyte chipset and Corsair HX1000 PSU.  I know it's very old but also very stable and healthy even today despite continuous 15/24 operation.  All this time it's been used for web browsing and music only.

I'm gonna build a low-budget mid tower next week (I was thinking to pass the old one to a friend anyways) and see if anything changes.

Btw, may I ask what amp you've got instead of MKII?   Are you still using STX II for the source?  My music preferences are similar to yours.  It just happens this otherwise terrific audio card to sound just a tad more distant than it should,  sucking the juice out of many tracks.  Hopefully the new mobo will fix this, if not I'll get a new source, possibly external.

No worries, hope it improves things for you. I'm using an AX Corsair PSU, but I read all over that Seasonic gold PSU's are very good for an audio PC. As for what I'm currently using, its just an STX II for the time being, not sure what I'll be using in the future. Audio can definitely be a minefield when it comes to finding what you like, but I'm sure I'll step back in there at some point lol. Thinking I'll try some things in-store, when my next purchase happens.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #114 of 165
  As for what I'm currently using, its just an STX II for the time being, not sure what I'll be using in the future. Audio can definitely be a minefield when it comes to finding what you like, but I'm sure I'll step back in there at some point lol. Thinking I'll try some things in-store, when my next purchase happens.

What was that you did not like with the MK2?

I wish I had the chance to test (properly) various brands and models before purchasing but that is too much to ask here.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #115 of 165

You get the picture...

STX II + SL MKII + HD800 works really well for me tho.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #116 of 165
I was hoping someone could comment on the tonality of this amp. I am using the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (which is an awesome headphone) but it is a tad hot in the treble and honestly could benefit from an amp with a slight treble roll off. Any comments on the treble of the Soloist MK2? 

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #118 of 165
Anyone have a pov of how the Burson Soloist SL mk2 compares to the amp section on the Audeze Deckard?? I don't need a DAC as I'd be running from my Mojo... thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back