Burson Soloist SL MK2 Appreciation/Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #151 of 165
Yes, I also get a low level hum on the left channel only in high gain mode as well. But, it seems to diminish as I turn up the volume. I don’t hear it once the music starts, even during some silent passages.
Yes, the lower the pot, the higher the noise ! Get it on both channels but as you say, not an issue when listening. Was a surprise when i first plugged in though, especially as it was pre-owned !

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #153 of 165
Yes, I also get a low level hum on the left channel only in high gain mode as well. But, it seems to diminish as I turn up the volume. I don’t hear it once the music starts, even during some silent passages.
I sold my Soloist SL MKII a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have it anymore. But I can tell you I experienced some low hum when it was connected to some DACs with usb-c connectors.
It seemed to me that the Soloist was very susceptible to usb noise, so I added a ifi defender and the hum disappeared.
It was a nuisance, because once you know it's there, you can't take your mind off it, even when it's not audible.
Anyway, that was my experience.
And, by the way, I only sold my Soloist because I preordered the new Soloist 3XP. That's how happy I was with the SL MKII.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #154 of 165
I sold my Soloist SL MKII a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have it anymore. But I can tell you I experienced some low hum when it was connected to some DACs with usb-c connectors.
It seemed to me that the Soloist was very susceptible to usb noise, so I added a ifi defender and the hum disappeared.
It was a nuisance, because once you know it's there, you can't take your mind off it, even when it's not audible.
Anyway, that was my experience.
And, by the way, I only sold my Soloist because I preordered the new Soloist 3XP. That's how happy I was with the SL MKII.
Yeah, I understand what you’re saying about the hum. It bothers me too, but it seems I can deal with it since it’s very low. I don’t want to sell my MKII since they won’t be making anything like it in the future, all discrete parts which is very rare now. I was looking at the new Soloist 3XP also. But, unfortunately it’s just too expensive for me at the moment. But, hopefully I’ll get one in the near future.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #155 of 165
I had some scratchy noise when the volume pot is at 9~12 o'clock position. I opened it up and sprayed deoxit F5 to the alps pot, then no noise at all, its been 2 years and still no problems.
Glad the Deoxit worked. The Deoxit is great stuff, I use it on all my electronic connections. It does make a difference.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #157 of 165
Yeah, I understand what you’re saying about the hum. It bothers me too, but it seems I can deal with it since it’s very low. I don’t want to sell my MKII since they won’t be making anything like it in the future, all discrete parts which is very rare now. I was looking at the new Soloist 3XP also. But, unfortunately it’s just too expensive for me at the moment. But, hopefully I’ll get one in the near future.
Hi,
How the soloist mk2 compared to the newer soloist 3x? thank you!

Apr 3, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #158 of 165
Is there anyone still using their Burson Soloist MKII? This amp is definitely a dying breed using all discrete electronic parts; no surface mount parts. Burson is now making very different or modern amps now, using mostly surface mount parts and the option of op amp rolling. I’m a bit surprised at Burson because they were always against using IC op amps, only discrete. I still love my SL MKII, sounds awesome. I have nothing against surface mount parts, just curious what some of you have to say.
Two pandemic years later, yes I'm still using mine and it sounds great. Some of the commenters mention warm full bass which this certainly has and I like. I wonder if the 5 ohm output impedance is a factor here? Overall the warm and smooth sound makes headphone listening a joy.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #160 of 165
Two pandemic years later, yes I'm still using mine and it sounds great. Some of the commenters mention warm full bass which this certainly has and I like. I wonder if the 5 ohm output impedance is a factor here? Overall the warm and smooth sound makes headphone listening a joy.
I’m also a fan of the OG Bursons. I’ve got an HA160-DS (essentially a conductor SL) on my desktop with a pair of DCA Aeon Open X, a Soloist SL on my night table with a pair of modified HD600s and a Soloist SL Mk. II in my main rig with a pair of 2021 rev. LCD-X. I also owned the big Soloist, which truly is built like a safe, but I never found it to be as musical as the SL versions. I recently gave it to my brother. Sometimes less is more - like the Nelson Pass ‘First Watt’ concept. I feel no compulsion to ‘upgrade’ further - musical is musical, and the newer Bursons do not appeal to me for whatever reason (a less than satisfactory experience with the dac section of a Conductor V2+ and their so-called customer service’s near total ignorance and tendency to just badmouth their own older gear rather than answering your questions about it in order to get you to buy the new stuff was a HUGE turn off for me).

Although, occasionally that old tube urge rises to the surface….

Enjoy!

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #161 of 165
I’m also a fan of the OG Bursons. I’ve got an HA160-DS (essentially a conductor SL) on my desktop with a pair of DCA Aeon Open X, a Soloist SL on my night table with a pair of modified HD600s and a Soloist SL Mk. II in my main rig with a pair of 2021 rev. LCD-X. I also owned the big Soloist, which truly is built like a safe, but I never found it to be as musical as the SL versions. I recently gave it to my brother. Sometimes less is more - like the Nelson Pass ‘First Watt’ concept. I feel no compulsion to ‘upgrade’ further - musical is musical, and the newer Bursons do not appeal to me for whatever reason (a less than satisfactory experience with the dac section of a Conductor V2+ and their so-called customer service’s near total ignorance and tendency to just badmouth their own older gear rather than answering your questions about it in order to get you to buy the new stuff was a HUGE turn off for me).

Although, occasionally that old tube urge rises to the surface….

Enjoy!
Yeah i also love old designs of the soloist much more

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #162 of 165
i have a soloist SL MK1 and I love it even though i've subsequently gotten a soloist 3xp. There's still something really nice and musical about the old discrete burson amps

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #163 of 165
i have a soloist SL MK1 and I love it even though i've subsequently gotten a soloist 3xp. There's still something really nice and musical about the old discrete burson amps
Both versions (I and II) still going strong:

AE90273A-219E-4848-BCC9-F5BE14959DAF.jpeg
E3181965-F4B7-443C-B039-438F1DBDBDDA.jpeg

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #164 of 165
I know this isn’t a well-populated thread, but I have to say that I am finding a great synergy between my Soloust SL mk. II and my 2021 rev. LCD-X. This has become my reference set up in the main system and I really couldn’t ask for much more. My only ‘problem’ is justifying in my head that this cheap little amp is ‘good enough’. It bested the regular OG Soloist, and quite clearly (in sound quality, obviously not in build), so why isn’t that enough for me? Stupid restless brain. 🧠

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #165 of 165
I know this isn’t a well-populated thread, but I have to say that I am finding a great synergy between my Soloust SL mk. II and my 2021 rev. LCD-X. This has become my reference set up in the main system and I really couldn’t ask for much more. My only ‘problem’ is justifying in my head that this cheap little amp is ‘good enough’. It bested the regular OG Soloist, and quite clearly (in sound quality, obviously not in build), so why isn’t that enough for me? Stupid restless brain. 🧠

I've been using my MK1 a LOT lately, prob much more than my soloist 3xp. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I also recently got a Vali 2+ and have it stacked on top of the burson so it was just easy to preamp the vali into the burson mk1. Hell, I even have my cheapest dac feeding both the Vali and the Mk1 and am loving it. Doing all this while underneath the shelf are much much much more expensive gear just sitting there *SHRUG* it's the hobby. While sound may not be subjective, sound enjoyment definitely is.

But as with all things, I will get bored or tired or used to the setup and will want a switch up which is why it's necessary to have X number headphones times X number of dacs times X number of amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back