Burson Soloist SL MK2 Appreciation/Impressions Thread
May 27, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #91 of 165
  I did see that in an earlier post, just that it seemed that your impressions were more of the op amps than the soloist, so that was why i was inquiring

No.  Impressions were based on both V5s and MK2.   I just wanted to clarify this in my previous update post.

The sound card sounds fantastic with 3 V5s on it, the Soloist refines it to a higher level.  Simple as that.
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #92 of 165
  No.  Impressions were based on both V5s and MK2.   I just wanted to clarify this in my previous update post.

The sound card sounds fantastic with 3 V5s on it, the Soloist refines it to a higher level.  Simple as that.
beerchug.gif

cool thats great. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #94 of 165
  I'm getting MK2 soon and I'm very excited! I also have STX II with 3x V5 op-amps and I'm gonna use it with HD800. 

Great!  I'm interested to know about your impressions because chances are I will get either HD800s or Ether C in the not so distant future.

Be patient with the MK2.  It needs its burning time too, just like V5s of course.  I think it has finally settled after 400 hours of use.  The latest and most noticeable change I could hear was the 100% accurate reproduction of strings!  Vibrations are perfectly natural now.  This cannot be processed by V5s themselves.  In general you'll appreciate what this amp does to the sound coming out of the supremed STX II.  It feels more lightweight, more coherent yet less "confusing", among other things.  Oh, and also its being moved about 5% backwards, wished it was the opposite...

Jun 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #96 of 165
the he 6 is not the best headphone around, The burson SL is a very very good amp, almost a tube but less sound stage and very good tonality.

it can drive almost everything with adequate volume 2 watts is more then enough 

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #97 of 165
  Great!  I'm interested to know about your impressions because chances are I will get either HD800s or Ether C in the not so distant future.

Be patient with the MK2.  It needs its burning time too, just like V5s of course.  I think it has finally settled after 400 hours of use.  The latest and most noticeable change I could hear was the 100% accurate reproduction of strings!  Vibrations are perfectly natural now.  This cannot be processed by V5s themselves.  In general you'll appreciate what this amp does to the sound coming out of the supremed STX II.  It feels more lightweight, more coherent yet less "confusing", among other things.  Oh, and also its being moved about 5% backwards, wished it was the opposite...

I have been very happy with my MK2. Previously I thought that my Supreme Sound Lycan amp was perfect and more than enough for me, until it broke. Thanks to great Burson customer support and warranty, I got great deal for MK2 and it raised my "perfect" to quite a bit higher.

I don't have much experience or gear to compare but at least it sounds a lot clearer and more realistic than the Lehmann Rhinelander I had at some point. Compared to the SS Lycan amp, difference isn't that big but it sure sounds more "quality sound" and somehow smoother in a good way. It's hard to describe what exactly is different but it sure sounds better. I'm happy to listen almost anything with this combo but listening classical music with these is so enjoyable that I often find myself getting lost in the music for hours.

I'm done with buying audio stuff for now. My next upgrade will probably happen when they release something wireless that sounds as good as these.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #98 of 165
Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring of this thread as a Burson Soloist MK2 owner and to auto-subscribe to it. Have had this along with the Schiit Bimby DAC since the beginning of the year and between the two of them they have changed the way I hear music :) Did a lot of research before buying either. The Soloist SL seemed to be a slightly warm and highly regarded amp 7 months ago before I made the purchase and I have to say nothing I've heard since has said otherwise. The Soloist MK II and Bimby pairing are a match made in heaven.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #99 of 165

I wish there were more impressions of the Original SL to be honest :) but I know how that goes. I am itching to hear a comparison between the two. but know that that would be very long in coming. I do like my SL so I am not complaining. I haven't written a review of the SL as I have nothing to compare it to. When I write reviews I like to have a point of reference, and I figured the Fiio E11K was just not that point of reference..... an unfair comparison. Maybe one day I will get another desktop amp or find a person with other equipment close enough for me to be able to do such a comparison. I hope so

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #100 of 165

I wish there were more impressions of the Original SL to be honest :) but I know how that goes. I am itching to hear a comparison between the two. but know that that would be very long in coming. I do like my SL so I am not complaining. I haven't written a review of the SL as I have nothing to compare it to. When I write reviews I like to have a point of reference, and I figured the Fiio E11K was just not that point of reference..... an unfair comparison. Maybe one day I will get another desktop amp or find a person with other equipment close enough for me to be able to do such a comparison. I hope so
  Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring of this thread as a Burson Soloist MK2 owner and to auto-subscribe to it. Have had this along with the Schiit Bimby DAC since the beginning of the year and between the two of them they have changed the way I hear music :) Did a lot of research before buying either. The Soloist SL seemed to be a slightly warm and highly regarded amp 7 months ago before I made the purchase and I have to say nothing I've heard since has said otherwise. The Soloist MK II and Bimby pairing are a match made in heaven.

What is your favorite headphone with this combo? or do they all sound great? I am thinking maybe later this year of adding a new can to my arsenal.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #101 of 165

What is your favorite headphone with this combo? or do they all sound great? I am thinking maybe later this year of adding a new can to my arsenal.

My favorite are the Beyer T90's with this combo although indeed everything sounds fantastic from full size cans to my IEM's like the DN-2000J's. Lot's of bass slam and clarity with those.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #102 of 165

So you are considering a shift from SL to SL Mk2?  I haven't heard the first but I highly doubt It worths the upgrade.  It is one of those cases where the improvement is guaranteed since the two models are identical in structure only difference 0.5 watt of power so it is logical to assume that the performance shift is there but minimal.    I'm saying this without any hands-on experience though so I could be wrong.

Going from SL models to the big Soloist I suspect that would be a whole knew experience, possibly grainier also
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #103 of 165

I had the plain SL before I had the MKII for about 3 weeks. I can't remember there being any differences besides the volume knob and the extra 1/2w. But I did not have them at the same time to A/B - I sent the SL to get the MKII.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #104 of 165
I am not looking to replace, I was just looking for a comparison. I am happy that I have it even though I think in my current setup it is not being fully utilized as the Oppo PM3 is quite efficient and is not in need of all of that power. I did hear differences in refinement compared to the E11K using the same source, but I didn't do extensive listening, and it did not seem that there were issues with power either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back