Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #3,046 of 3,128
Is this accessory to be placed on the Burson 3XP? If so, do you have a link with more information? What changes in the sound compared to the standard mode, I haven't opened my unit yet.
I am due to receive them at the end of this week. Contacted orange for orientation in the 3xp. For the input stage blues side facing the front of unit and for the volume stage red side facing the front of the unit. I purchased one pair and below is info from Jon at Orange.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.png
    IMG_6121.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6120.png
    IMG_6120.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6123.png
    IMG_6123.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6122.png
    IMG_6122.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #3,047 of 3,128
The Orange opamps I bought have the little half-moon notch like most other opamps.

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,048 of 3,128
The Orange opamps I bought have the little half-moon notch like most other opamps.
I gather this is the dual discreet Orange op amps? If so that’s great news, thx? What are your thoughts on them and did you use them in the input or volume stage?

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3,049 of 3,128
On power amp mode - the manual says " In this mode, the only setting you can adjust is the gain selection. Other functions are inaccessible for your safety."

Does this mean one of the "High / Medium / Low" gain mode option can be selected? or it is restricted to few?

I've had this amp for almost a year and just today I learned about the power amp mode. Guess I should've read the manual. This feels like a game changer, it sounds so much more alive now.

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #3,050 of 3,128
I've had this amp for almost a year and just today I learned about the power amp mode. Guess I should've read the manual. This feels like a game changer, it sounds so much more alive now.
I am looking to use this in power amp mode exclusively driving via my tube pre - were you able to select the gain modes?

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #3,051 of 3,128
I am looking to use this in power amp mode exclusively driving via my tube pre - were you able to select the gain modes?
Yeah, you can change the gain normally while in the power amp mode. You just can't change the output or the input while in this mode, it doesn't let you scroll up on the menu.

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #3,052 of 3,128
Yeah, you can change the gain normally while in the power amp mode. You just can't change the output or the input while in this mode, it doesn't let you scroll up on the menu.
Appreciate your reply, been chasing this question with Burson but not gotten an answer so far. This surely open possibilities

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #3,053 of 3,128
Q was not to me but if I might add, the YT channel convincemeaudio has a great interview with Z. Nice opportunity to get to know Z better in a 1 to 1 relaxed chat.
He explains he's not into refinement for the sake of it, at all. He wants deviation, a character to his liking. So his priorities are not neutral and is honest about it.
I do not understand. Are you saying his opinion about dacs having no audible difference ?

Oct 22, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #3,054 of 3,128
Minor negative that has nothing to do with the sound. The display is a small OLED, so the static image when you are in power amp mode will burn in over time. If you ever take the amp out of power amp mode you will still see the burned in image in the volume level.

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #3,058 of 3,128
Well, just so you know he loves the THX 789. And to mentioned something further, he loves the Soloist 3XP as well.
What I heard him say is that he isn’t willing to make a statement about whether he likes 1 thing vs another of he can’t hear a difference between them which is fair imo. He opined that that 3XGT came out a year too late and had been sonically superseded by the A90D which he loved (iirc) but I think he has not yet heard it with the new 2023 version w/ SP2 module. Soundnews and Lachlan at Passion for Sound have a both thought the new version was sonically better on almost every variable. BUT nobody has yet weighed in on the new Voyager (which lost the fan, but costs $1000 more than the 3X GT, no surprise I guess 🙄).

Nov 10, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #3,059 of 3,128
What I heard him say is that he isn’t willing to make a statement about whether he likes 1 thing vs another of he can’t hear a difference between them which is fair imo. He opined that that 3XGT came out a year too late and had been sonically superseded by the A90D which he loved (iirc) but I think he has not yet heard it with the new 2023 version w/ SP2 module. Soundnews and Lachlan at Passion for Sound have a both thought the new version was sonically better on almost every variable. BUT nobody has yet weighed in on the new Voyager (which lost the fan, but costs $1000 more than the 3X GT, no surprise I guess 🙄).
Lol how a 3XGT can be surpassed by A90D When A90D can't even beat a Singxer SA-1 which cannot beat a normal soloist 3xp

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #3,060 of 3,128
Lol how a 3XGT can be surpassed by A90D When A90D can't even beat a Singxer SA-1 which cannot beat a normal soloist 3xp
Josh, Z, DMS, SoundNews all heap praise on the Topping line. Personally, it's not for me, as I find what Topping, and SMSL do with nested feedback is far too analytical and boring.

Both companies seem to be in some d**k measuring contest with each other on low THD measurements that they forget that music is not test tones.

Not saying THX/Nested feedback tech is bad. It's all about implementation, and the only company that seems to implement it right is FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back