Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Feb 16, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #2,371 of 3,139
So, the Soloist and Bifrost 2 stack gets pretty toasty when they're right on top of each other - too much so for my liking, even with some spacers between them. So I ended up getting a small set of shelves for them. Now I'm comfortable that the Soloist is not gonna cook the Bifrost! I'm sure it would've been fine either way, but this gives me more peace of mind.

The sound of this pairing continues to be fantastic. I was listening to Hiromi's Move and the low end piano notes had such nice weight to them. The soundstage became larger and more realistically shaped as well, which makes live albums that much more immersive.

PXL_20220212_053020252_2.jpgPXL_20220216_070511096.jpg
Where did you get those feet in the first pic?

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #2,372 of 3,139
You might want to consider keeping the feet you have (previous photo) under the Soloist...just to provide a little more space to cool between bottom of AMP and the wood shelf/surface.

Good call! Plus they look pretty nice too.

Where did you get those feet in the first pic?

They're the Bluecell aluminum speaker feet on Amazon. I actually found them through Xerosnake plugging them on Reddit.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,373 of 3,139
I agree with you. I like high gain the most on the soloist. I have tried to like medium gain but if I turn it to high gain I just like it more even with non Hard to drive headphones at a very low volume setting. Also no matter how much I want to like it in normal mode using it’s volume control it just sounds better to me in headphone amp mode.

Just sharing a friendly thought --> For those using low(er) impedance headphones, the Soloist is wonderful in Low or Medium output. The noise floor is nearly silent / black backdrop.

There is no doubt, for harder to drive planars, High-Gain and/or Head Phone Mode provides huge value and great enjoyment.

Point being, while the Soloist easily creates a dynamic (high gain) experience, there is equal fun to be had with low(er) impedance headphones. By way of example, I used my Grado Hemps (38 ohms) last night with the Soloist on medium output, Muse / volume around 50, and it was fantastic! :musical_score:

Again, just a thought for those considering the 3XP, but curious about easier to drive headphones.

IMG_1919.jpeg

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,374 of 3,139
Are you a Burson Audio Product user and ready to get the best you can out of it?

Today I made a full written review about the Super Charger 3A, the best way to improve your Burson Experience. While power conditioners and power converters are usually not the hottest thing to upgrade in a system, Burson's unique approach to how it is implemented actually means that this one works well for their own products.

I hope that my review is helpful to you and I'm always around to help if you need my advice!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...a-improving-burson-sound-by-power-supply.html

Burson-Super-Charger-Supercharger-Power-Adapter-Linear-Power-Supply-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-05.jpg

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #2,375 of 3,139
Another shout-out to the excellent Burson customer service. When I contacted them about the remote which was draining the battery quickly, they offered to send me a new PCB for free. They ended up sending me a whole, completely new remote. (Some older models drain the battery.)

For the sake of documentation I share a picture of the old and the new remote's PCB. The old, faulty version is on the top.

IMG_20220222_174536.jpg

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #2,376 of 3,139
Another shout-out to the excellent Burson customer service. When I contacted them about the remote which was draining the battery quickly, they offered to send me a new PCB for free. They ended up sending me a whole, completely new remote. (Some older models drain the battery.)

For the sake of documentation I share a picture of the old and the new remote's PCB. The old, faulty version is on the top.

Thanks for sharing this! I've been seeing rapid battery drain, and my remote matches the old one. Appreciate the tip; I'll reach out to Burson.

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #2,377 of 3,139
Just got my soloist 3xp and lcd3! Sounds great!

But I've noticed one thing that might be a problem..?

With my Fidelio X2 (30 ohm, 100 dB @ 1mW, single ended), i am getting slight noise floor(even on low gain, but goes up on medium/high), any volume, but it seems to only be coming through the right side?

And with the LCD-3(110 ohm, 101 dB @ 1mW, balanced), I get the same slight audible noise floor(again only on right side) on high gain any volume.

I isolated by only using power->soloist->headphone, on multiple power sockets around the house, using both stock+supercharger. No difference.

I'm wondering if perhaps I have a faulty op-amp?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,378 of 3,139
Other then that, from my first impressions there are two things that really, really stood out to me with the Soloist.

#1 - How much it changes the sound character of my Adam F7 nearfield monitors, compared to connected straight to the bifrost 2 via XLR. Its a very pronounced difference. The most striking difference and its impossible to not hear immediately, is the soundstage/imaging and from that, the tonality. The speakers disappear much more. and you just get more of a 3d soundstage with better precise imaging.

#2 - How much of a striking difference power-amp mode brings to my Audeze LCD-3 planars (particularly on electronic music). I'm running power-amp mode on medium gain, through balanced xlr to my LCD-3, the difference this brings is really mind-blowing.. It just adds SO much authority/impact, and expands the soundstage massively. It seems to really increase seperation and make reverb much more noticable. It's a real shame though, because it means not using that lovely muse volume dial. Just using DSP volume through roon at the moment, i wonder if i should just keep doing that rather then worrying about adding a dedicated pre-amp. Power-amp mode just makes the soloist into what i bought it for. It feels like a 30% improvement. I wasnt expecting that.

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #2,379 of 3,139

With my Fidelio X2 (30 ohm, 100 dB @ 1mW, single ended), i am getting slight noise floor(even on low gain, but goes up on medium/high), any volume, but it seems to only be coming through the right side?

And with the LCD-3(110 ohm, 101 dB @ 1mW, balanced), I get the same slight audible noise floor(again only on right side) on high gain any volume.

I isolated by only using power->soloist->headphone, on multiple power sockets around the house, using both stock+supercharger. No difference.

Try the op-amps included as xtras with the amp

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,382 of 3,139

Do you get that issue when you ran the LCD-3 on poweramp mode?

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,383 of 3,139
Do you get that issue when you ran the LCD-3 on poweramp mode?
I get more noise floor with lcd-3 on poweramp mode on high gain than normal mode on high gain, but it seems from both channels in poweramp mode.
With the Fidelio x2, the noise floor is still there on low gain on power amp mode at 0 volume, and still sounds like it is just the right channel, and is the same loudness as normal mode low gain 0 volume.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,385 of 3,139
High gain is very powerful on the 3XP. Medium should be more than enough with the LCD3.
I feel like the LCD-3 noise floor is normal and acceptable, its 'barely just noticeably there' on high gain. And yes, i don't need to use high gain with the lcd-3!
It's really the fidelio thats the problem. The noise floor seems the same on low or medium gain (both on 0 volume, seemingly only on the right channel). And its not like they are these super sensitive cans, at low gain on 50 volume the music is still too quiet for me to listen to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back