Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #2,386 of 3,128
I feel like the LCD-3 noise floor is normal and acceptable, its 'barely just noticeably there' on high gain. And yes, i don't need to use high gain with the lcd-3!
It's really the fidelio thats the problem. The noise floor seems the same on low or medium gain (both on 0 volume, seemingly only on the right channel). And its not like they are these super sensitive cans, at low gain on 50 volume the music is still too quiet for me to listen to.
I would probably try the little op-amps that were included with the 3XP for potential troubleshooting.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #2,388 of 3,128
Could someone please help me with the Classic op amp terminology. If I wanted to replace all my vivid op amps in my Burson 3x would I need a pair of - V6 dual discrete OPA or do I need two pairs? There is also the option of a pair of V6 single discrete OPA - in which case how many would I need. Very confusing for me and I suspect the answer is straightforward so apologies in advance.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,389 of 3,128
Could someone please help me with the Classic op amp terminology. If I wanted to replace all my vivid op amps in my Burson 3x would I need a pair of - V6 dual discrete OPA or do I need two pairs? There is also the option of a pair of V6 single discrete OPA - in which case how many would I need. Very confusing for me and I suspect the answer is straightforward so apologies in advance.
It's generally accepted to keep the volume input op-amps as the Vivids, they are not there to flavour the sound but to keep the volume as technically precise as possible. You can also try the sparkos opamps there as they perform a similar role.

The opamps that benefit most from being swapped are the output opamps - you would need one pair and I believe they are the dual opamp variety.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,390 of 3,128
It's generally accepted to keep the volume input op-amps as the Vivids, they are not there to flavour the sound but to keep the volume as technically precise as possible. You can also try the sparkos opamps there as they perform a similar role.

The opamps that benefit most from being swapped are the output opamps - you would need one pair and I believe they are the dual opamp variety.
Thank you sir.

I'm also looking to get the Super Charger. Is there much of a difference between the 3a vs 5a? I'm generally looking for smoother upper mid and treble. At the moment it's a bit fatiguing and i've read the Super Charger helps a lot but wondering if the 5a is worth the extra money over the 3a.

Feb 25, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #2,391 of 3,128
Thank you sir.

I'm also looking to get the Super Charger. Is there much of a difference between the 3a vs 5a? I'm generally looking for smoother upper mid and treble. At the moment it's a bit fatiguing and i've read the Super Charger helps a lot but wondering if the 5a is worth the extra money over the 3a.
The Classic can help with that. No experience with the Supercharger personally.

Feb 25, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #2,392 of 3,128
Thank you sir.

You'll likely need to email Burson for an opinion on this and probably good to re-confirm it's OK to use 5a with the Soloist 3XP ?

--> Most folks with Super Chargers have 3a version... as the 5a is still relatively new. Also, not sure if anyone with 3a will get rid of it and reinvest in 5a, as the benefit might be questionable (if at all).

IMHO, the 3a Super Charger is absolutely worth the investment.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #2,393 of 3,128
I have a Soloist 3xp, and just got the Sparkos SS3602 op amps that I want to put in the input stage. I know that there is cause for concern about the Sparkos op amps raising the DC offset. I measured the 4 pins of the xlr out a few days ago with the stock V6 vivids, and I think I remember getting between 5-20mv DC offset on medium gain. I remember reading from someone say that you should shoot for 1-5mv though. Is that true?

Also, when I switch out the v6 vivids with the sparkos SS3602, I know I'm supposed to adjust the blue variable resistors in the Soloist to lower DC offset. But should I only be adjusting as many blue pots as needed? Or should I try to adjust each one equally? How long should I wait after turning on the soloist before taking measurements? Should I measure at medium gain since I am usually one medium gain when listening? Or should I measure on low gain?

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #2,394 of 3,128
You'll likely need to email Burson for an opinion on this and probably good to re-confirm it's OK to use 5a with the Soloist 3XP ?

--> Most folks with Super Chargers have 3a version... as the 5a is still relatively new. Also, not sure if anyone with 3a will get rid of it and reinvest in 5a, as the benefit might be questionable (if at all).
5A is for Soloist 3X GT, not sure if it can be used with a regular Soloist.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #2,395 of 3,128
5A is for Soloist 3X GT, not sure if it can be used with a regular Soloist.
I reached out to Burson and they told me the 5a is compatible with the Soloist. They said I could expect the 3a to bring a 15% performance increase and the 5a to bring a 20% increase. The Soloist is really end game for me so I went for the 5a Super Charger and the Classic op amps. The Soloist drives my LCD4 with ease and my Empire Ears Legend Evo sound amazing out of it. As a pre-amp pairs great with my Adam S3H too. Don't think I can ask for more out of an amp. The GT just seems overkill. Happy to post impressions when I get the 5a for what it's worth.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,396 of 3,128
I reached out to Burson and they told me the 5a is compatible with the Soloist. They said I could expect the 3a to bring a 15% performance increase and the 5a to bring a 20% increase. The Soloist is really end game for me so I went for the 5a Super Charger and the Classic op amps. The Soloist drives my LCD4 with ease and my Empire Ears Legend Evo sound amazing out of it. As a pre-amp pairs great with my Adam S3H too. Don't think I can ask for more out of an amp. The GT just seems overkill. Happy to post impressions when I get the 5a for what it's worth.

Yup - here is the table from their website.

Just a reminder, there are two Soloist models now...assume you are referencing the 3XP based on your post/question above ... since the GT is not compatible with the 3a.

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 9.39.01 AM.png

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #2,400 of 3,128
Ordered the Supercharger 3a, hopefully I don't regret it - this thing is not cheap lol
I was skeptical ordering the Supercharger but was pleasantly surprised and do not regret the purchase one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back