Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Aug 3, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,306 of 3,139
I just ordered it from Bloomaudio. Figured that free two day shipping will allow me to do some enjoyment over this weekend.

Ah!!!!!!!!!!!.this thing never ends. Haha.

Although HifiDJ makes me somewhat worry about sound signature being too close to V280, I will see when it is delivered. If it is warm sounding with details and clarity vs V280's my perception of being too warm, I would be happy with Burson purchase.

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,307 of 3,139
Maybe they have already shipped it and soon you are the proud owner of the Soloist. The volume issue they have sent me the firmware replacement so your should have no issue with that. And the pop, well I never experience any pop sound from a burson. It will sound great. It is better than a whole lot of amps actually. Caution on HIGH GAIN and maxing out the volume thought. Since it KIA my HE6V2.

I wouldn’t worry about the ”issues,” I just got a new Soloist a few weeks ago and it’s fantastic. It’s the best amp I’ve ever used. I’m not sure what “pop’ sounds people were hearing, but I’m not hearing any of it. My volume is silky-smooth and linear for the whole range (no jump around level 50). If these were earlier issues, my assumption is that potentially they were remedied in the newer manufactured units.

Thanks for the reply. It has been very difficult to choose between Soloist 3XP and GS-X mini. I think GS-X mini might be a safer choice for me because there is a distributor in my country. If the order has been shipped then I would probably be fine with 3XP.

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,308 of 3,139
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,309 of 3,139
I will look into staccato op amps.
Not much info out there tbh...that's why I'm trying it myself. From the experience I have so far with them, they lack bass quantity and stage depth. But they have very wide staging and great bass control. Vivids sound muddy in comparison.
Although HifiDJ makes me somewhat worry about sound signature being too close to V280, I will see when it is delivered. If it is warm sounding with details and clarity vs V280's my perception of being too warm, I would be happy with Burson purchase.
I think you'll be fine. The Yggy from what I hear is pretty neutral.
Soloist 3XP and GS-X mini
From what I've read and researched the GSX is more synergy-dependent and neutral-bright. The Soloist might be better when matching with a variety of headphones.

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,310 of 3,139
Not much info out there tbh...that's why I'm trying it myself. From the experience I have so far with them, they lack bass quantity and stage depth. But they have very wide staging and great bass control. Vivids sound muddy in comparison.

I think you'll be fine. The Yggy from what I hear is pretty neutral.
At least I can ask here for model number and stuff when I am ready for it.:beyersmile:

That's good to know for synergy with Yggy. With Yggy and V280 is a bit too soft for my taste. Will report back here after this weekend.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #1,311 of 3,139
The only time that I've heard pops is when I change the gain level. I also have some studio monitors connected to the xlr outputs of the burson and when I turn on/off the burson amp while the monitors are on they pop loudly.

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,312 of 3,139
I wouldn’t worry about the ”issues,” I just got a new Soloist a few weeks ago and it’s fantastic. It’s the best amp I’ve ever used. I’m not sure what “pop’ sounds people were hearing, but I’m not hearing any of it. My volume is silky-smooth and linear for the whole range (no jump around level 50). If these were earlier issues, my assumption is that potentially they were remedied in the newer manufactured units.
I have been using my Soloist 3X for about a month and haven't experienced any issues like this, either. Just pure, neutral power. Sort of the "anti-THX" amp. I was using a THX888 amp prior to the Soloist and it seemed cold and dry by comparison, but with regard to clarity I think they're similar. It's just that the Burson seems a bit more natural and more uniform across the entire frequency spectrum. I don't detect any coloration at all.

The ONLY weirdness I've seen with my Soloist is that the knob can act funky at times where the volume will change OPPOSITE of the direction I'm turning the knob. For example, I'll turn it two notches to the right, and the volume might go up 1, then down 1. Or I'll turn it 3 or 4 notches and when I'm done the volume will only be 2 higher. Sometimes. Sometimes it works just fine. Not sure what's going on, but I've learned to live with this minor annoyance.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #1,313 of 3,139
Has anyone tried this with the Hifiman Arya? Is it a good Synergy?

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,314 of 3,139
Have not heard either Arya or Soloist 3XP but you can roll the output stage opamps to something warmer if the default neutral presentation is too harsh or bright through the Arya.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #1,315 of 3,139
I'm running my system with the Soloist, Schiit Bifrost2, and Arya with good success. For my tastes, I bumped up 55Hz by 1 or 2 dB and knocked down 3.5 kHz by 2 dB for better balance, but again that's just my taste. No real performance issues. The Aryas are pretty neutral-bright and very clear, so I like to warm them up a bit on my setup, especially since the BF2 and Soloist are so transparent.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #1,316 of 3,139
I have been using Chord Qutest -> Soloist 3xp -> Arya, and it works really well for me!

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #1,317 of 3,139
Tried it on the headphone store and it has a really good synergy. I think it is the Arya version 2 though.

Aug 4, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #1,319 of 3,139
Anyone have any impressions of using the Soloist 3X with the Audeze LCD-X?
Tried this in the headphone store, really phenomenal combo with almost all audeze headphones I've tried :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,320 of 3,139
Does anyone have actual measurements of the Burson Soloist 3X?

On Burson's own site, the Soloist 3X's dimensions are improbable: 35 × 30 × 15 cm (Source: https://www.bursonaudio.com/product/soloist-3x-performance/). These dimensions appear to be the size of the box, and not of the actual device.

On a retailer's site I've seen the following dimensions (W x D x H): 200 x 250 x 60mm

I suspect that this is fairly accurate but could do with someone confirming that dimensions for W x D x H either in metric or imperial units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back