Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Aug 3, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,291 of 3,122
So I would like to ask anyone's experience with V280 to Burson Soloist 3x. Hope that my writing makes sense and thank you for your time.
I owned V181 in the past. I believe it is slightly different from the V280 tonality wise but should have the same Violectric DNA anyway.
V181 was just perfect with HD800S. Actually that was a complete Violectric combo with a V800 DAC. But it was not that perfect with planar-magnetic headphones and it did not have enough power to drive my NM-1 efficiently. So in general Composer + Soloist combo vs V800 + V181 combo is more transparent, more neutral, more powerful.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,292 of 3,122
Hello all, I apologize in advance if it has been discussed previously and jumping into discussion.
I am in search of next SS amp and seriously considering Burson Soloist 3X. I currently have V280. I read that Soloist 3x drives T50rp well and T1.2 and I have T50 Argon and Amrion Home and Auteur coming hopefully within next two months. DAC is Yggy and still cannot make up my mind on getting Pontus II ( read here that burson works well with Ares II and I thank you all for great information).
When I use Argon and Amiron Home with V280, I feel like it is a bit too soft. Very nice listening for enjoyment but I feel like I want a bit more clarity and sharpness?. I tried A90 but although it gives me what I am looking for....just boring to listen to.
So I would like to ask anyone's experience with V280 to Burson Soloist 3x. Hope that my writing makes sense and thank you for your time.
I would agree with you impression about softness regarding the V280, this is strength and weakness at same time of that amplifier line (my V281 is identical in that regard) - or just a matter of preference. I did not try any other DAC with the Soloist 3XP yet besides the Composer 3XP, but I also connected him at the same time to the V281 and I would give you my impression of having both amps side-by-side that you will perceive more clarity and sharpness over the whole frequency range with the Soloist 3XP. I only had the A90 briefly and cannot give you a valid impression on that, but the Soloist 3XP is really the opposite of boring to listen to:).

Aug 3, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #1,293 of 3,122
I owned V181 in the past. I believe it is slightly different from the V280 tonality wise but should have the same Violectric DNA anyway.
V181 was just perfect with HD800S. Actually that was a complete Violectric combo with a V800 DAC. But it was not that perfect with planar-magnetic headphones and it did not have enough power to drive my NM-1 efficiently. So in general Composer + Soloist combo vs V800 + V181 combo is more transparent, more neutral, more powerful.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Aug 3, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #1,294 of 3,122
I would agree with you impression about softness regarding the V280, this is strength and weakness at same time of that amplifier line (my V281 is identical in that regard) - or just a matter of preference. I did not try any other DAC with the Soloist 3XP yet besides the Composer 3XP, but I also connected him at the same time to the V281 and I would give you my impression of having both amps side-by-side that you will perceive more clarity and sharpness over the whole frequency range with the Soloist 3XP. I only had the A90 briefly and cannot give you a valid impression on that, but the Soloist 3XP is really the opposite of boring to listen to:).
Great. Thank you. After Magnius and A90, I was literally lost in SS amps. Other great amps like V550 and Aries are way over my budget and although I like Schiit's DACs not really into their amps (at least to my ears). I owned Lycan briefly a while ago and guess I am leaning toward Burson for another try.

Looks like all US stores are out of stock and need to order directly from Burson. Oh well..

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #1,295 of 3,122
Other great amps like V550
I have not heard the V550 but the DHA V590. I prefer Burson combo over the V590 DAC/amp.
V590 is too warm for me.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #1,296 of 3,122
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone purchased their soloist through burson audio's website? I placed my order a week before and decided to cancel my order two days later due to some issues reported here ( volume control, pop sounds, and etc.) It has almost a week I have gotten back from them. I tried to e-mail them through their website to cancel my order twice without responding. I also sent to their paypal e-mail address and still got nothing. Could someone suggest me what to do next? Should I contact paypal or should I contact my credit card company to stop the payment?

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,297 of 3,122
Maybe they have already shipped it and soon you are the proud owner of the Soloist. The volume issue they have sent me the firmware replacement so your should have no issue with that. And the pop, well I never experience any pop sound from a burson. It will sound great. It is better than a whole lot of amps actually. Caution on HIGH GAIN and maxing out the volume thought. Since it KIA my HE6V2.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,298 of 3,122
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone purchased their soloist through burson audio's website? I placed my order a week before and decided to cancel my order two days later due to some issues reported here ( volume control, pop sounds, and etc.) It has almost a week I have gotten back from them. I tried to e-mail them through their website to cancel my order twice without responding. I also sent to their paypal e-mail address and still got nothing. Could someone suggest me what to do next? Should I contact paypal or should I contact my credit card company to stop the payment?
I wouldn’t worry about the ”issues,” I just got a new Soloist a few weeks ago and it’s fantastic. It’s the best amp I’ve ever used. I’m not sure what “pop’ sounds people were hearing, but I’m not hearing any of it. My volume is silky-smooth and linear for the whole range (no jump around level 50). If these were earlier issues, my assumption is that potentially they were remedied in the newer manufactured units.

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,299 of 3,122
Forget what was written on the volume (it's a very small problem). Never heard pop. I have bought the Soloist for about six months now and I am very satisfied.
Don't give up on the Soloist, it's a great amp. You will be very happy.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,301 of 3,122
I wouldn’t worry about the ”issues,” I just got a new Soloist a few weeks ago and it’s fantastic. It’s the best amp I’ve ever used. I’m not sure what “pop’ sounds people were hearing, but I’m not hearing any of it. My volume is silky-smooth and linear for the whole range (no jump around level 50). If these were earlier issues, my assumption is that potentially they were remedied in the newer manufactured units.
Forget what was written on the volume (it's a very small problem). Never heard pop. I have bought the Soloist for about six months now and I am very satisfied.
Don't give up on the Soloist, it's a great amp. You will be very happy.
As soon as it becomes available within some of US stores I am getting one. It sounds like a real winner.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,302 of 3,122
Aug 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,304 of 3,122
Hello all, I apologize in advance if it has been discussed previously and jumping into discussion.
I am in search of next SS amp and seriously considering Burson Soloist 3X. I currently have V280. I read that Soloist 3x drives T50rp well and T1.2 and I have T50 Argon and Amrion Home and Auteur coming hopefully within next two months. DAC is Yggy and still cannot make up my mind on getting Pontus II ( read here that burson works well with Ares II and I thank you all for great information).
When I use Argon and Amiron Home with V280, I feel like it is a bit too soft. Very nice listening for enjoyment but I feel like I want a bit more clarity and sharpness?. I tried A90 but although it gives me what I am looking for....just boring to listen to.
I don't have v280 but about wanting clarity and sharpness, I wouldn't say the Soloist is particularly that (well probably depends on your DAC too). I find it to be neutral-warm overall. You get some smooth highs that aren't rolled-off and the Soloist takes off some of the sharp edges just a bit. It still has good dynamics but at the sacrifice of some control. Mids have tonal emphasis to them so they'll be a bit lush and colorful. Bass is on the fun and engaging side. But here's the thing, that's with the stock Vivids.

If you op-amp roll you can get an entirely different presentation. I'm currently trying out some Staccato op-amps and if you want clarity and sharpness these have more of that over the Vivids. These are somewhere in between the Vivids and the Sparkos op-amps. I don't have Sparkos yet but it seems to be the most sharp based on experiences here.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,305 of 3,122
I don't have v280 but about wanting clarity and sharpness, I wouldn't say the Soloist is particularly that (well probably depends on your DAC too). I find it to be neutral-warm overall. You get some smooth highs that aren't rolled-off and the Soloist takes off some of the sharp edges just a bit. It still has good dynamics but at the sacrifice of some control. Mids have tonal emphasis to them so they'll be a bit lush and colorful. Bass is on the fun and engaging side. But here's the thing, that's with the stock Vivids.

If you op-amp roll you can get an entirely different presentation. I'm currently trying out some Staccato op-amps and if you want clarity and sharpness these have more of that over the Vivids. These are somewhere in between the Vivids and the Sparkos op-amps. I don't have Sparkos yet but it seems to be the most sharp based on experiences here.
Thank you. Op amp rolling would be the benefit of Burson. I just put a complete stop on myself for tube rolling rabbit hole but one or two sets of op amps wouldn't hurt my wallet as much as tube rolling. I will look into staccato op amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back