Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,111 of 3,128
Thanks for the post! I'm definitely contacting Burson about this.
Sure thing. Nice when there's a relatively easy fix. I talked with Bloom Audio about this problem, and their customer service reported no jumpy issues with volume in the latest units they got in, so hopefully Burson has nipped it in the bud. It can happen, but with the volume issue and reports of opamps frying drivers, kinda makes you wonder about Quality Control right now... I'm encouraged by folks here talking about Burson making things right though!

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,112 of 3,128
It bypasses the volume control in the Soloist. You need a source with volume control, obviously.
In my experience with the 800S, it makes the sound meatier, more dynamic and punchy.
I guess the volume control in the Soloist is responsible for the huge channel separation, which helps many headphones, but it doesn't work as well with something like the 800S. A little less separation really improves the sound in power amp mode.
Try it. But be careful and select the low gain first and set a low volume in the source. The power in low gain is impressive.
At first I didn't really like the power amp mode. It felt like crossfeed was applied, and that was it. But I changed my mind about it with the 800S.

Just wondering if anybody had tried power amp mod with something like 1266 Phi TC, Susvara, HE6 SE ? wondering if there is extra power/current that helps deliver better bass extension/control with these three...

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,113 of 3,128
Sure thing. Nice when there's a relatively easy fix. I talked with Bloom Audio about this problem, and their customer service reported no jumpy issues with volume in the latest units they got in, so hopefully Burson has nipped it in the bud. It can happen, but with the volume issue and reports of opamps frying drivers, kinda makes you wonder about Quality Control right now... I'm encouraged by folks here talking about Burson making things right though!
I have contacted Burson about the same issue. They replied within hours saying they are happy to send me "an updated programming chip that will have a smoother volume curve". I look forward to receiving it. It should be an easy fix and so far Burson was very helpful and responsive.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #1,114 of 3,128
I have contacted Burson about the same issue. They replied within hours saying they are happy to send me "an updated programming chip that will have a smoother volume curve". I look forward to receiving it. It should be an easy fix and so far Burson was very helpful and responsive.
Excellent, glad to hear that!

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,116 of 3,128
Hi folks, wondering when you guys use Soloist, do you prefer a higher gain with lower volume or lower gain with higher volume? I previously always use medium gain with lower volume with my Focal Clear, but recently I tried the power amp mode in low gain (can't do medium gain otherwise too loud), and I found a significant improvement, that make me start thinking maybe I should use low gain with maximum volume when I'm not using power amp mode?

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #1,117 of 3,128
Hi folks, wondering when you guys use Soloist, do you prefer a higher gain with lower volume or lower gain with higher volume? I previously always use medium gain with lower volume with my Focal Clear, but recently I tried the power amp mode in low gain (can't do medium gain otherwise too loud), and I found a significant improvement, that make me start thinking maybe I should use low gain with maximum volume when I'm not using power amp mode?
Thats probably a good way to go with low gain at higher volume level with higher sensitivity headphones (I don't have the Clear anymore, but the Elegia and other headphones at a similar sensitivity: Clear [55Ω @ 104dB/mW], Elegia[35Ω @ 105dB/mW] or Denon AH-D9200 [24Ω @ 105dB/mW]), since they tend to pick up noise/hiss on the Soloist 3XP at medium and high gain. If the volume level/headroom is fine for you at that setting with the Clears, I would go with that, when not in poweramp mode.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,118 of 3,128
Limited 20% discount on certain Burson products. https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/
Just thought I share it with you guys.

"For the next 72 hours only, we are taking up to 20% off on selected items. (limited stocks)

Soloist 3X Performance: 5 units only
Conductor 3 Reference: 3 units only
Conductor 3X Reference: 4 units only
Playmate 2: 3 units only

From our store below, type coupon code (FY21) at the check-out."

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,120 of 3,128
Limited 20% discount on certain Burson products. https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/
Just thought I share it with you guys.

"For the next 72 hours only, we are taking up to 20% off on selected items. (limited stocks)

Soloist 3X Performance: 5 units only
Conductor 3 Reference: 3 units only
Conductor 3X Reference: 4 units only
Playmate 2: 3 units only

From our store below, type coupon code (FY21) at the check-out."
Thank You for the valuable information. I've just paid for the Soloist.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #1,122 of 3,128
Does anyone own this device?
1623822980131.png
1623822998686.png

Slight OOT, since Soloist 3XP doesn't have a single-ended Pre-amp out,
will turning balanced in (from Ares II) to Single-Ended out is okay?
or better buy that XLR to RCA cable?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,123 of 3,128

will turning balanced in (from Ares II) to Single-Ended out is okay?
This unit looks like a switch box. I think it only does some basic wiring inside which is equivalent to xlr to rca cable/adaptor. You need a transformer based convertor according to Burson, like Jensen pc-2xr. Otherwise, if you damage your unit, Burson will void your warranty.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,124 of 3,128
1623822980131.png1623822998686.png

will turning balanced in (from Ares II) to Single-Ended out is okay?x
I have one. What are you running the Pre-amp out to? I have the Ares II XLR out to the XLR in on the little Bear. Then XLR out to the Burson input. Then the Pre-Amp out to my XLR monitors. Are you running to single ended active speakers?

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,125 of 3,128
Question.

I have composer and soloist. They both have the same remote. How can I use remote to control only one of them instead of controlling both units at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back