Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,141 of 3,128
Following @Timbuk2's post earlier I have also contacted Burson regarding the new volume chip with updated programming. It is actually the exact same chip, only the programming makes the volume curve smoother. This means there are no jumps anymore, the 51-52 volume jump is gone. It is all smooth and balanced across the range.

Burson immediately answered my request and sent me two chips (just as in @Timbuk2's post). When I inserted the first chip the amp went totally silent. Luckily when I tried the second chip everything was back to normal and the 51-52 jump disappeared. (Apparently there are two versions of the same chip and it is impossible to tell which one will be compatible with your amp.)

It took Burson a week to allocate a sound chip for me from their factory and another week for the post to arrive from Hong-Kong to the UK.

I am pleased with the service and the result. If the slight 51-52 volume jump bugs you, I recommend to contact Burson as there is an easy fix.

IMG_20210624_210545.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,142 of 3,128
On another note, since the annoying volume jump issue was resolved, I was once again experimenting between the headphone power amp mode and normal mode with my ADI-2 and Empyrean.

I quite enjoy normal mode as well, it has a sweeter, smoother more coloured sound with all four op amps. A fun, sweet, smooth sound.
That said, I still prefer the headphone power amp mode, bypassing the volume stage and two op amps.

Compared to normal mode it is less coloured and more neutral but also punchier, cleaner and better refined. Especially in bass there is more definition and clarity.
I am happy to have my volume issue sorted in normal mode with the new chip, but my preference is still the headphone power amp mode. Those two Vivid op amps still provide enough warmth and smoothness for me, while the sound is much more energetic and more dynamic in this volume control bypass mode.

In a way it reminds me to the LCD-X: Audeze marketed the LCD-X as a neutral studio monitor. Still, the LCD-X is an Audeze headphone with the expected sound signature. They are only neutral in Audeze terms.
The Soloist 3XP in headphone power amp mode is still a Burson amp, but more neutral and cleaner than any other Burson amps, even the 3XP itself in normal mode.

To me the Soloist 3XP in this mode is exceptional. In normal mode it is just good. Some other great SS amps (Taurus MKII for example) can sound clean but quite thick. The 3XP sounds lighter, airier, while it still retains a taste of that thick sweetness and naturalness. If the Taurus is a thick cocoa drink, the 3XP is a delicious and clean cocoa foam. In headphone power amp mode this cocoa foam becomes the hardest hitting smooth drink you have ever had. :)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,143 of 3,128
Following @Timbuk2's post earlier I have also contacted Burson regarding the new volume chip with updated programming. It is actually the exact same chip, only the programming makes the volume curve smoother. This means there are no jumps anymore, the 51-52 volume jump is gone. It is all smooth and balanced across the range.

Burson immediately answered my request and sent me two chips (just as in @Timbuk2's post). When I inserted the first chip the amp went totally silent. Luckily when I tried the second chip everything was back to normal and the 51-52 jump disappeared. (Apparently there are two versions of the same chip and it is impossible to tell which one will be compatible with your amp.)

It took Burson a week to allocate a sound chip for me from their factory and another week for the post to arrive from Hong-Kong to the UK.

I am pleased with the service and the result. If the slight 51-52 volume jump bugs you, I recommend to contact Burson as there is an easy fix.

IMG_20210624_210545.jpg
Excellent, and looks like your experience was the same as the OP. Good to know that Burson is standing behind their products! Now, if we could only get them to produce more of the Soloist or come out with a Soloist 3X Reference, ha! Sadly I tried ordering from Bloom, only to have my order cancelled and money refunded. Thanks for sharing this...

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,144 of 3,128
Excellent, and looks like your experience was the same as the OP. Good to know that Burson is standing behind their products! Now, if we could only get them to produce more of the Soloist or come out with a Soloist 3X Reference, ha! Sadly I tried ordering from Bloom, only to have my order cancelled and money refunded. Thanks for sharing this...

I asked this very question early on... The Conductor 3 has and XP and XR model for Performance and Reference. While the Soloist and Composer only have XP models. However I was told that as standalone units the Soloist and Composer XP models are at the same level or perform better than their respective counterparts in the Conductor 3XR line. Thus a Soloist 3XP will have a better amplification stage/performance than that in the Conductor 3XR. At least that is how I was told to think about it...

Hence what you're asking for is a amplifier in the Soloist 3XR that would be theoretically better than anything available today or in the Conductor line.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #1,145 of 3,128

IMG_20210624_210545.jpg
Is it easy to remove the volume controller chip? I also requested from burson and worried that I might bend some pins! hehe :)

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,147 of 3,128
Is it easy to remove the volume controller chip? I also requested from burson and worried that I might bend some pins! hehe :)
You have to be patient and careful when removing the chip. I recommend to slowly pull one side and the other alternately until it becomes loose. Those pins indeed bend easily.
That said, you don't have to worry too much about damaging the old chip as you won't use it anymore. Once the new chip is in place you just leave it there. :wink:

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,148 of 3,128
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,149 of 3,128
On another note, since the annoying volume jump issue was resolved, I was once again experimenting between the headphone power amp mode and normal mode with my ADI-2 and Empyrean.

I quite enjoy normal mode as well, it has a sweeter, smoother more coloured sound with all four op amps. A fun, sweet, smooth sound.
That said, I still prefer the headphone power amp mode, bypassing the volume stage and two op amps.

Compared to normal mode it is less coloured and more neutral but also punchier, cleaner and better refined. Especially in bass there is more definition and clarity.
I am happy to have my volume issue sorted in normal mode with the new chip, but my preference is still the headphone power amp mode. Those two Vivid op amps still provide enough warmth and smoothness for me, while the sound is much more energetic and more dynamic in this volume control bypass mode.

In a way it reminds me to the LCD-X: Audeze marketed the LCD-X as a neutral studio monitor. Still, the LCD-X is an Audeze headphone with the expected sound signature. They are only neutral in Audeze terms.
The Soloist 3XP in headphone power amp mode is still a Burson amp, but more neutral and cleaner than any other Burson amps, even the 3XP itself in normal mode.

To me the Soloist 3XP in this mode is exceptional. In normal mode it is just good. Some other great SS amps (Taurus MKII for example) can sound clean but quite thick. The 3XP sounds lighter, airier, while it still retains a taste of that thick sweetness and naturalness. If the Taurus is a thick cocoa drink, the 3XP is a delicious and clean cocoa foam. In headphone power amp mode this cocoa foam becomes the hardest hitting smooth drink you have ever had. :)
Since I discovered power amp mode, like REALLY discovered it (it was the HD800S that did it for me), I've tried it in other headphones whose timbre I didn't quite enjoy with the Burson, anything whose midrange sounded a bit lean to me. For example, the DT880 600 ohms sound transformed in power amp mode, with a much fuller sound.
The AKG K701 were another obvious candidate and, again, power amp mode made the midrange sound meatier.
There is a loss in soundstage depth, as if crossfeed was applied, but what you gain in return makes it worth it.
I had listed the Composer and the Soloist in classifieds, because I'm about to move for some time out to work and I can't take such heavy gear with me, but... I think I'd regret selling them. The pairing of Composer and Soloist is just extraordinary.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #1,150 of 3,128
Since I discovered power amp mode, like REALLY discovered it (it was the HD800S that did it for me), I've tried it in other headphones whose timbre I didn't quite enjoy with the Burson, anything whose midrange sounded a bit lean to me. For example, the DT880 600 ohms sound transformed in power amp mode, with a much fuller sound.
The AKG K701 were another obvious candidate and, again, power amp mode made the midrange sound meatier.
There is a loss in soundstage depth, as if crossfeed was applied, but what you gain in return makes it worth it.
I had listed the Composer and the Soloist in classifieds, because I'm about to move for some time out to work and I can't take such heavy gear with me, but... I think I'd regret selling them. The pairing of Composer and Soloist is just extraordinary.
It is all about pairings. I imagine the Soloist in power amp mode really benefits the somewhat warmer/softer/more laid-back headphones as it brings some energy and enhances dynamics. (Audeze, Meze...) With some already energetic headphones it is probably not the best pairing. (Focal) Or at least not in power amp mode.

It is always sad to let go some great gear due to changing circumstances, but I am sure at some point you will get some nice new toys again. :beerchug:

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,151 of 3,128
It is all about pairings. I imagine the Soloist in power amp mode really benefits the somewhat warmer/softer/more laid-back headphones as it brings some energy and enhances dynamics. (Audeze, Meze...) With some already energetic headphones it is probably not the best pairing. (Focal) Or at least not in power amp mode.

It is always sad to let go some great gear due to changing circumstances, but I am sure at some point you will get some nice new toys again. :beerchug:
I actually thought power amp mode helped brighter headphones more than others. I don't really know what the reason is, but the punchier sound makes the lower midrange feel meatier and this makes the whole timbre sound less bright.
You're right about at some point I'll get nice new gear.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,152 of 3,128

I have the same experience. Headphone power amp mode is good for LCD 2 but when I use it for my he1000v1, it is too bright and fatiguing. Normal mode sounds good in just about every headphone I have tried. Still neutral but has musicality.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #1,153 of 3,128
Hi guys,
Just a quick question, I just unboxed my Soloist 3x and set it up with my topping D10 / HD58X, and I'm getting a buzzing/distortion sound coming from the right channel of the amp. I've changed to another pair of headphones/ IEM and even tried both the 1/4" jack and 3.5mm, the right buzzing persists. I can't quiet hear it when there's nothing playing. But the moment music starts, it starts buzzing. I know it's not my RCA either cause i swapped them round and still the buzzing in the right side of my headphone's still there. As well, the noise floor seems to be really high even when I have it set to LOW gain and have my Heir Audio 8.A IEMs plugged in. Anyone experienced any of the above symptoms ?

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #1,154 of 3,128
Hi guys,
Just a quick question, I just unboxed my Soloist 3x and set it up with my topping D10 / HD58X, and I'm getting a buzzing/distortion sound coming from the right channel of the amp. I've changed to another pair of headphones/ IEM and even tried both the 1/4" jack and 3.5mm, the right buzzing persists. I can't quiet hear it when there's nothing playing. But the moment music starts, it starts buzzing. I know it's not my RCA either cause i swapped them round and still the buzzing in the right side of my headphone's still there. As well, the noise floor seems to be really high even when I have it set to LOW gain and have my Heir Audio 8.A IEMs plugged in. Anyone experienced any of the above symptoms ?
Have your tried using a different source?

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #1,155 of 3,128
Have your tried using a different source?
I tried lowering the volume from my source cause Alex (Burson) suggested that the line voltage from the D10 might be too high, but the distortion was still there. I switched back to my old JDS atom to my DAC and there was no distortion.

Alex is troubleshooting it with me at the moment. Hopefully my issue gets resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back