Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Apr 18, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #931 of 3,128
Driving a headphone well is not just reaching a certain volume level. There is much more to it, like bass presence and definition, instrument separation, imaging, refinement, 3D space...

These caracteristics are totally fullfilled by the D8000pro IMO ! This is, maybe, why these cans are not very "amp sensitive" ?
My ath-ad2000x are very sensitive headphones and easy to drive but even I heard difference in using the soloist 3x compared to the built in amplifier of my neo idsd.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #932 of 3,128
My ath-ad2000x are very sensitive headphones and easy to drive but even I heard difference in using the soloist 3x compared to the built in amplifier of my neo idsd.
I'm glad for you...
Maybe my old ears can't achieve this :ksc75smile:
I'm now, listening the Lejonklou for theh 2 next days and then will switch to the Soloist. I'll report if I can ear any difference...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #934 of 3,128
The first thing I noticed on the Soloist when I first compared them to other solid state is its air and its ability to make the sound more analog. Most solid state amplifiers have "edgy" sound. Maybe non treble sensitive people will not be bothered by this.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #935 of 3,128
I just thought I need to emphasise that I mostly evaluated the Soloist 3XP in 'headphone power amp mode'. Completely bypassing the amp's volume circuit to my ears leads to a much more dynamic and clear sound with better impact, separation and sense of space.

In normal mode it is still a great amp but IMHO the true magic hides in bypassing the whole volume circuit which is not possible on too many amps. Normal mode is somehow less refined/detailed with a lesser sense of soundstage depth and definition. Normal mode has a sweeter analogue tone but I much prefer the increased clarity/resolution and impact of the headphone power amp mode.

I am not an expert, so I am not sure what exactly is going on, just following my ears as always and sharing my findings.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #936 of 3,128
I just thought I need to emphasise that I mostly evaluated the Soloist 3XP in 'headphone power amp mode'. Completely bypassing the amp's volume circuit to my ears leads to a much more dynamic and clear sound with better impact, separation and sense of space.

In normal mode it is still a great amp but IMHO the true magic hides in bypassing the whole volume circuit which is not possible on too many amps. Normal mode is somehow less refined/detailed with a lesser sense of soundstage depth and definition. Normal mode has a sweeter analogue tone but I much prefer the increased clarity/resolution and impact of the headphone power amp mode.

I am not an expert, so I am not sure what exactly is going on, just following my ears as always and sharing my findings.
I have the Soloist 3XP since first pre-order batch and did not really realize the existance of the power amp mode :rolling_eyes:.
...trying it for the first time now with the Composer 3XP and Meze Empyrean. What DAC/pre-amp you use with the Soloist 3XP?

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #937 of 3,128
I need to try this mode too. Do you know if Composer stays in DAC out mode?

sfs.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #938 of 3,128
I have the Soloist 3XP since first pre-order batch and did not really realize the existance of the power amp mode :rolling_eyes:.
...trying it for the first time now with the Composer 3XP and Meze Empyrean. What DAC/pre-amp you use with the Soloist 3XP?
Oh man, you have been missing out. :)
I use the RME ADI2 FS.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #939 of 3,128
Here I am...headphone power amp mode
So yes, it bypasses the internal volume control but engages the DAC volume control.
Please make sure your DAC is in pre-amp mode at a very low volume otherwise your ears will bleed)

IMG_3006 (002).png

BTW, with DAC volume control you don't have that volume jump at 52.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #940 of 3,128
So yes, it bypasses the internal volume control but engages the DAC volume control.
Please make sure you DAC is in pre-amp mode otherwise your ears will bleed)

Exactly. One must be very careful. It is easy to blow one or two drivers if careful measures have not been taken regarding volume levels.
From eardrum burst to brain fry everything is on the cards. Be smart folks.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #941 of 3,128
Please make sure you DAC is in pre-amp mode otherwise you can your eyes will bleed)
Yes, I figured that out before trying :sunglasses: ...since DAC out on Composer 3XP is full XLR out, at least you can still select gain mode in power amp mode!

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #942 of 3,128
Exactly. One must be very careful. It is easy to blow one or two drivers if careful measures have not been taken regarding volume levels.
From eardrum burst to brain fry everything is on the cards. Be smart folks.
Mine survived)) Fortunately, they were on the table and not on my head ) Actually I knew that it may happen and took it of.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #943 of 3,128
Mine survived)) Fortunately, they were on the table and not on my head )
To be fair I did the same a couple of times with my Arya and they survived. (Kudos to Arya transducer quality.)
Since then I am extra careful with my Empyrean and I unplug the headphones more often than I used to be.

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #944 of 3,128
Oh man, you have been missing out. :)
I use the RME ADI2 FS.
I also have the RME w/ my Burson. Just to clarify for me, if you do this headphone power amp mode, are you still using the Burson circuitry? All you're doing is controlling volume via the RME?

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #945 of 3,128
I also have the RME w/ my Burson. Just to clarify for me, if you do this headphone power amp mode, are you still using the Burson circuitry? All you're doing is controlling volume via the RME?
Absolutely, the RME acts like volume control only since the headphones are plugged in the Soloist :) Unfortunately this mode does not work on the analog outputs of the Soloist, only on the headphone outputs. To switch to XLR/RCA you need to exit the headphone amp mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back