Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,606 of 3,128
Nice feedback. Did you run all 4 opamps each time or 2 and 2?

You motivated me to test the Classics. Very nice bottom end and overall (nicely) warmer than the other opamps. I'm running 2 Classics at the volume stage and kept 2 Sparkoslabs at input (for now). I like to listen for changes over time (and many albums) rather than quick AB's. For now, it's sounding really great. I don't think I would have bothered with the Classics if I didn't read your feedback.
Nice one Im glad :), I kept Vivids on volume and rolled input so far. Might try some other combinations later on 👍

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,607 of 3,128
Nice one Im glad :), I kept Vivids on volume and rolled input so far. Might try some other combinations later on 👍
Ok good to know, thanks. I'll roll Vivids on input when I feel the urge again. My music taste is varied but does include a fair dose of the genres you mentioned.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,608 of 3,128
Could you describe how the low end is improved? My library is mostly electronic and acoustic with/or without vocals.

Just got the supercharger today, and I can confirm the bass is tighter on my HE6. Also noticed feel like volume is increased?! Might be that I don’t feel like turning the volume up as much as before because of micro dynamics is increased?? It’s not easy to do A/B testing so I’m not sure…

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,610 of 3,128
Never had a Class A amp before - is it true that for longevity, these should be kept powered on all the time (rather than only powered on when in use)?

Given how hot they run the thought of house fires scares me.
I never keep mine on 24/7. Pretty sure it didn't say to in the manual either. As far as the heat goes, mine doesnt get all that hot with the cooling stand, warm to the touch but never hot enough that I cant keep my hand on it. I would say the cooling stand(also acts as an extra heatsink as the amp further spreads heat to the stand) is worth it just for the fact it saves a little space to keep the amp standing.

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,611 of 3,128
So thanks to @Ninja Theory s help and tips I just rolled Vivids, Classics and Sparkos, all great, all different. On my setup which is May L2 -> Soloist -> 1266 TC it goes like this :
(Kept Vivids in volume stage and rolled Input stage)
- Vivids are hyper realistic with full 20-20 which can be too much and a bit tiring. Imaging it like with an over-sharpen filter almost, really holographic but almost too good.
- Classics are a bit more clockwise (less treble, more body / low end), it adds a bit more slam and makes imaging a bit less hyper and more ... realistic (as oposed to hyper realistic).
- Sparkos - have softer top and and softer bottom end and are more mid forward. For certain types of music this is ideal. It again takes the edge off the treble and makes imaging more natural.

At the moment I like the Classics for my music choices the best I think. I listen to a lot of heavy electronica, metal etc. and on my stack the extra slam and less hyper imaging is nicer in the long run. Vivids have the most wow factor when you listen for the first time it's like "wow this is another level" but it quickly gets too much. Sparkos are definitely prefered for any mid range focussed music like acoustic / classical etc.

Obv this will behave differently on different stacks : ) I just thought I'll share my initial impressions.

Upgrading the PSU was a bigger jump in quality for me, rolling opamps is more changing the flavour in my case. Hope this is helpful : )

I got similar impressions but rolled all 4 and sparkos ended up being the best pairing for me with the Phi TC as it was mids forward. I also felt the resolution, details, and transients were just all improved. I put the vivids back in when I want a bit more slam and sparkle up top. I sold the classics as I didn't like them.

I was considering buying the super charger then I saw the 3GT notice, Oor + hypsos combo, and a few goodies coming our way so decided to just continue saving.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,612 of 3,128
It's a class A amp. It's designed to run hot. I wouldn't worry. I leave it on when I get home from work and turn it off when I hit bed in the evenings. On weekends it's on most the day and into the late evenings.

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,614 of 3,128
I got similar impressions but rolled all 4 and sparkos ended up being the best pairing for me with the Phi TC as it was mids forward. I also felt the resolution, details, and transients were just all improved. I put the vivids back in when I want a bit more slam and sparkle up top. I sold the classics as I didn't like them.

I was considering buying the super charger then I saw the 3GT notice, Oor + hypsos combo, and a few goodies coming our way so decided to just continue saving.
Apologies in advance if I'm asking a dumb question --> how did you fit 4x Sparkos 3602 into the Burson slots?

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,615 of 3,128
Apologies in advance if I'm asking a dumb question --> how did you fit 4x Sparkos 3602 into the Burson slots?
You need to cut the cable ties. Shocking that Burson does not mention this. Or if they do, I didn't see it. Then make sure you fit them the correct way: look for the gold L on the Sparkos opamps and make sure it's on the bottom left, then align it with the indent on the left hand side of the opamp inserts on the PCB.

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,616 of 3,128
6271094B-4400-4684-8243-B78DFE8FB7D0.jpeg

i didn’t take it with sparkos but there is an a on the bottom corner. That a will be bottom left for each side the icon is on the vivids.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,618 of 3,128
So after a second round of rolling, this time all 4, I ended up with this :

1B48E2E3-EE18-4056-BE3A-03AEF5C8D3DE.jpeg

So Classics on the input and Sparkos on the volume. This fits my taste and setup the best atm. More body and bass, less sharp treble, a small but nice bump in midrange details and clarity without loosing the slam. But something has to give right … the casualty is the hyper imaging and sound stage Vivids have, but 1266 has great staging on its own so it’s not a huge downgrade.

Thank you for the help and inspiration guys 🙏🍻

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,619 of 3,128
Got the super charger today as well, and it reignited my joy for the Soloist 3XP once again. Running it on power amp mode, with an D90 being the volume control. Listened on my Anandas, as well as Emu Teaks, HD 660s, and even my old M1060s - hard to describe in exact detail but everything feels sharper, tighter, snappier without losing that soft Burson house sound. Happy to see that others have similar opinions about it!

EDIT: Really wanted to relisten to Nero's Satisfy Mix, hence the picture, but also listened to some FLACs, as well as Apple Music Hi-Res
BURSON.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,620 of 3,128
So after a second round of rolling, this time all 4, I ended up with this :

1B48E2E3-EE18-4056-BE3A-03AEF5C8D3DE.jpeg

So Classics on the input and Sparkos on the volume. This fits my taste and setup the best atm. More body and bass, less sharp treble, a small but nice bump in midrange details and clarity without loosing the slam. But something has to give right … the casualty is the hyper imaging and sound stage Vivids have, but 1266 has great staging on its own so it’s not a huge downgrade.

Thank you for the help and inspiration guys 🙏🍻
I just ordered 2 V6 Classics - would I need to order 2 more to complete the set, or can I just change out the 2 Vivids on the input buffer stage? How about the volume control stage? Thanks in andvance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back