Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,591 of 3,127
Congrats. What are your thoughts ??
Well, I think that the difference between Composer + Soloist combo with supplied PSU and the same combo with two Super Chargers is very well described on the Super charger box).
I would tend to agree - one more step up in sound quality.

IMG_4202 (002).jpg

My headphones allow to hear the difference easily.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,593 of 3,127
Finally...two chargers. For both Composer and Soloist

Congrats! Keen on your thoughts once you've spent some time with them. Particularly with the Soloist. Edit; Just saw your feedback above, thanks.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,594 of 3,127
My Sparkoslabs SS3602 dual opamps arrived. I fitted them on the input stage, and left the 2x Vivid opamps at the volume. Sounds really really good. Resolution and soundstage are the stars of the show.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,595 of 3,127
My Sparkoslabs SS3602 dual opamps arrived. I fitted them on the input stage, and left the 2x Vivid opamps at the volume. Sounds really really good. Resolution and soundstage are the stars of the show.
Do you generally need at volume stage too or input stage is sufficient for sound quality upgrade ? Is it subtle difference in sound quality ?

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,596 of 3,127
Do you generally need at volume stage too or input stage is sufficient for sound quality upgrade ? Is it subtle difference in sound quality ?
Should be similar. They are at the same signal level. Just thought I'd mention that's where I fitted the Sparkoslabs opamps.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,597 of 3,127
I have just ordered a Super Charger from Burson. They say I can expect a 20% increase in overall sound quality. Since I find my 3XP an exceptional amp for the price (especially for the second-hand price I paid for it) I am happy to invest in this improved power supply.
Power supplies are actually a very crucial part of amp design. More so than most users realise.
Can't wait to hear it and confirm Burson's claims myself.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #1,598 of 3,127
20%? That seems impossible. I've seen a vid from Passion for Sound that claims only a very minor perceptible difference. Not sure who to believe at this point.

Interested in hearing your direct opinion once you have listened to it for a bit.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #1,599 of 3,127
20%? That seems impossible. I've seen a vid from Passion for Sound that claims only a very minor perceptible difference. Not sure who to believe at this point.

Interested in hearing your direct opinion once you have listened to it for a bit.
Maybe the variance in perceptible difference depends on power quality you currently have at your household, which varies from person to person? And if you already use a separate power conditioning strip or not?

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,600 of 3,127
Maybe the variance in perceptible difference depends on power quality you currently have at your household, which varies from person to person? And if you already use a separate power conditioning strip or not?
This will certainly be the case. The step up from SMPS to LPS should bring a nice little SQ benefit (lower noise floor). Burson are pushing the price a really high, it should be $199 max, but so be it.

I will most likely also buy it this year still, I'ma little concerned at the value I would derive from the high cost because my power is somewhat treated with double online conversion UPS's and passive power conditioning. Yet I know from my own experience that when it comes to power, every little bit helps.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,602 of 3,127
I had to use the translation function in my browser too. But yes, it seems that it does not have the best measurements in the noise department, it really needs warm-up because there`s a realtively big DC offset in the first 10-15 minutes after power-on and the upgraded power supply (supercharger?) actually measures much better outside the audible band.

I don`t care about the SINAND stuff but the DC offset bothers me a little bit. (seem to be the only one here... criticsim not welcome here?)
I was also concerned about the DC-offset, and thought any offset of 10mV would blow my HE6. I did some digging and was told by some technicians that the reason I blew my first pair of HE6 wasn’t because of the DC offset, but rather because the amp didn’t have enough power so it sent out a Square signal (clipping).

Since the Burson is a Class-A amp you won’t be having problems with square signals, it will just roll off.

If anyone would like to give a better explanation, please feel free to correct me.

I’ve been using HE6 (4-screw, 6-screw, V1 and V2) with the Soloist 3x for 2 months now and no issues with driver. And I plug my headphone in confidently every time.

Think DC-offset is just talked about because anyone can measure it with a multimeter, it’s not possible to measure square signal and wattage peaks without professional equipment..

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #1,603 of 3,127
So thanks to @Ninja Theory s help and tips I just rolled Vivids, Classics and Sparkos, all great, all different. On my setup which is May L2 -> Soloist -> 1266 TC it goes like this :
(Kept Vivids in volume stage and rolled Input stage)
- Vivids are hyper realistic with full 20-20 which can be too much and a bit tiring. Imaging it like with an over-sharpen filter almost, really holographic but almost too good.
- Classics are a bit more clockwise (less treble, more body / low end), it adds a bit more slam and makes imaging a bit less hyper and more ... realistic (as oposed to hyper realistic).
- Sparkos - have softer top and and softer bottom end and are more mid forward. For certain types of music this is ideal. It again takes the edge off the treble and makes imaging more natural.

At the moment I like the Classics for my music choices the best I think. I listen to a lot of heavy electronica, metal etc. and on my stack the extra slam and less hyper imaging is nicer in the long run. Vivids have the most wow factor when you listen for the first time it's like "wow this is another level" but it quickly gets too much. Sparkos are definitely prefered for any mid range focussed music like acoustic / classical etc.

Obv this will behave differently on different stacks : ) I just thought I'll share my initial impressions.

Upgrading the PSU was a bigger jump in quality for me, rolling opamps is more changing the flavour in my case. Hope this is helpful : )

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,604 of 3,127
I got my supercharger in a couple of days ago and improvements were instantly noticeable. Bass was tighter and background was darker. It's not a huge upgrade in performance but the improvements are there. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.
20210928_212205.jpg

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,605 of 3,127
So thanks to @Ninja Theory s help and tips I just rolled Vivids, Classics and Sparkos, all great, all different. On my setup which is May L2 -> Soloist -> 1266 TC it goes like this :
- Vivids are hyper realistic with full 20-20 which can be too much and a bit tiring. Imaging it like with an over-sharpen filter almost, really holographic but almost too good.
- Classics are a bit more clockwise (less treble, more body / low end), it adds a bit more slam and makes imaging a bit less hyper and more ... realistic (as oposed to hyper realistic).
- Sparkos - have softer top and and softer bottom end and are more mid forward. For certain types of music this is ideal. It again takes the edge off the treble and makes imaging more natural.

At the moment I like the Classics for my music choices the best I think. I listen to a lot of heavy electronica, metal etc. and on my stack the extra slam and less hyper imaging is nicer in the long run. Vivids have the most wow factor when you listen for the first time it's like "wow this is another level" but it quickly gets too much. Sparkos are definitely prefered for any mid range focussed music like acoustic / classical etc.

Obv this will behave differently on different stacks : ) I just thought I'll share my initial impressions.

Upgrading the PSU was a bigger jump in quality for me, rolling opamps is more changing the flavour in my case. Hope this is helpful : )
Nice feedback. Did you run all 4 opamps each time or 2 and 2?

You motivated me to test the Classics. Very nice bottom end and overall (nicely) warmer than the other opamps. I'm running 2 Classics at the volume stage and kept 2 Sparkoslabs at input (for now). I like to listen for changes over time (and many albums) rather than quick AB's. For now, it's sounding really great. I don't think I would have bothered with the Classics if I didn't read your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back