Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #2,012 of 2,322
Thanks for that! Configuration #8 seems interesting to me!

Do we have a consensus on what the popular configurations are?
From reading the thread, I'd say Configs #1, #8 & #9.

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,013 of 2,322
23' Soloist GT in the house. Wasn't expecting to care too much for the red accents, but it looks better in person! SP-02 power modules should be arriving sometime next week. In the meantime, my SIL994's and SS2509's arrived. Time to see what the fuss is all about. Can't wait to let her burn in some and post impressions.

Attachments

• IMG_9725.jpg
    IMG_9725.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9732.jpg
    IMG_9732.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9735.jpg
    IMG_9735.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #2,014 of 2,322
For those wondering why I’m using extenders on the SS2590s…it’s because the pins don’t seat perfectly on the Burson input. I actually had a scare of my headphone drivers seemingly blowing out. I unplugged immediately and put in the extenders. No issues now.
I replaced the extensions with DIP8 sockets and it also works and is much cleaner looking.

uxcell 10pcs DIP IC Chip Socket Adaptor 2.54mm Pitch 7.6 Row Pitch 2 Row 8 Round Pins Soldering https://a.co/d/imO1dkt

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #2,015 of 2,322
Finally, I received the LPSU locally made which was modified to run the GT. The first version could not even start the amp.
The modified version has a bigger (10 times bigger) output capacitor and 7A protection current.

I’m satisfied with the result – better soundstage (wider, deeper), instrument positioning, better overall resolution.

DSC_0855.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #2,016 of 2,322
Finally, I received the LPSU locally made which was modified to run the GT. The first version could not even start the amp.
The modified version has a bigger (10 times bigger) output capacitor and 7A protection current.

I’m satisfied with the result – better soundstage (wider, deeper), instrument positioning, better overall resolution.

DSC_0855.jpg
Glad you enjoy... did you ever compare to the SuperCharger 5A?

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #2,017 of 2,322
did you ever compare to the SuperCharger 5A?
Supercharger 5A is the only power supply I have with the GT.
So all above is a comparision with the Supercharger...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #2,018 of 2,322
What's the best method of removing the zip ties around the V6 Vivids? I've tried scissors and a knife, but feel really sketchy about doing it with delicate electronics right there.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #2,019 of 2,322
What's the best method of removing the zip ties around the V6 Vivids? I've tried scissors and a knife, but feel really sketchy about doing it with delicate electronics right there.
Use a pair of wire cutters and cut at the top of the housing. They come off easily and safely.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #2,020 of 2,322
I actually used a really thin small screwdriver (flat head) and used them in the opening of the ties to release them. Was quite easy
IMG_4899.jpeg

Sep 9, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,021 of 2,322
Fingernail clippers work great!

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,022 of 2,322
File this under config 10.

Moved my hallowed SS2590 op amps to the hallowed Voltage stage. :wink:

Impressions to come.

Attachments

• config 10.jpg
    config 10.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,023 of 2,322
File this under config 10.

Moved my hallowed SS2590 op amps to the hallowed Voltage stage. :wink:

Impressions to come.
Let me know what you think. My impressions of this config are pretty good. In fact, at this point, with the exception of a one config that I described a few pages back, most configs with the SS2590s sound good.

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #2,024 of 2,322
A few days ago I started exploring a new config (10?), and posted #2022 above about doing so. As I began listening, I felt the description was largely consistent with the notes we have on config 3. But it did reinforce my existing opinion that the Sparkos SS2590 is a very special op-amp and one that imbues strong detail, speed, and stage all while delivering a very linear response. I now believe getting the Sparkos op-amps to the voltage stage (which I believe is the stage that makes the most audible impact) is a profound upgrade to the GT's solid state traits. Having moved that op-amp around, my preference is the SS2590 shines best in that slot. But, of course it requires extensions to avoid contacting the fan housing. So I took the plunge and did that. I strongly believe it's worth it and elevates the listening experience substantially vs. V6 Vivids or for that matter the SS2590 in any other position.

As I was toe tapping and enjoying, I keep seeing my V6 Classics out of the corner of my eye on my desk. While I have experimented with the Classics before, I struggled to find a combo that could deliver the Eureka! moment. Now, I play electric guitar as a hobby and am very familiar with different amp and pedal "tone" changes. I've long thought that the V6 Classic is like a baby "overdrive" pedal. I don't want to oversell this, but they give me the modest "texture" enhancement that Burson talks about much like an overdrive channel would do on a guitar amp---but just not as obvious. There is just a bit more warmth, more weight, and more drive. The low end through the mid range is ever so slightly boosted to my ear and the high end is slightly rolled off. I don't think they "sparkle" on the top end and they do bring the vocals bit closer. In the voltage stage I liked Classics, but did not love them and kept rolling. Still, I took note of how they are different and kept them around for the day when I could call them into service.

Once I shoe-horned in my SS2590s with extensions into voltage, I returned to thinking about the benefits of both the SILs and the Classics. I can't get the SILs in the input buffer due to dimensions that impacts the extensions on the SS2590s now. And, the Silent Power Modules on the 2023 GT also stand tall and interfere with laying over the extended SS2590 op-amps. So very carefully and with a hairdryer I warmed up the extensions and formed them into a shape that fit as you see in my picture. Then I determined I had room to put the V6 Classics on the input pad if I moved the SILs over to the volume pad. I really like the SILs on input where they seem to do their low end magic. But with the Classic offering something similar I thought let's try it.

Eureka!

This combination yielded a wonderful synergy of warmth, low-end impact and drive to the music. And the resolution/details were all still present. The low end now prioritizes the timbre and decay and punch that I want. Meanwhile, the resolution provided by the SS2590s is in firm control with great mids, but slightly toned down highs as the SILs and V6 Classics contribute their flavor. A frequent test for me is the opening sequence in "Time" by Pink Floyd. I want to hear those tom drum-heads vibrate and decay. And I want to be able to hear the difference in a 4 inch tom to a 6 inch tom because their is a difference. I also want a crack to snares and shimmer to cymbals. And I want the clocks to ring! Welp, it's all there in this config. Again, not on the bleeding edge of any one attribute, but all well placed among a richer "presence" to the overall music.

If I had to fingerprint 2 drawbacks it would be just a bit of roll off to those highs--which frankly I want because I have always thought the GT could be just a bit shouty. There is also maybe just a touch less speed, which the Classics just "affect" because they have a liquid smoothness to them that fills in a bit of space between instruments. Classics warms things up just to the point where max resolution is lost, and THAT I think impacts the sense of speed. So still nice and fast, but again not at the bleeding edge. This might matter most on classical music and to a degree rock. But on anything pop or electronica? The low/mid weight is just glorious. I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues and I think this config is still superior for those genres. Vocals and guitars shine. Bass and drums are visceral. It's a great listening experience even if a touch less attack and speed. For me, compromises are optimized on config 11.

I will add I decided to leave Crossfeed on LOW. It just synergizes with the Classics and supports that sense of "overdrive" though at a cost of a slightly narrowed stage---which I think sounds more "natural" anyway as our hearing is designed to get inputs to both ears from both channels.

Another observation is something about this config gives me a lot more options on MID and HIGH gain on the GT. I flip back and forth more than I used to. For some songs HIGH is still an improvement, but on others MID is much better. In fact, I hear less distortion on MID gain, which can enhance the sound stage presentation on a lot of music. Basically you just get more versatility out of the amp which I think opens up a variety of listening experiences at the touch of a few buttons.

To end this review, in a way I am glad I found a Burson op-amp combo that rose to the top for me. Not that it matters when you just want the best sound, but I do think the V6 Classic is also a special op-amp for the way I want to listen to music. My GT has never sounded better. There is a richness now that I love. My recommendation to any op amp roller is to at least try this config (and just go slow in terms of forming the extensions as you fit it all in the unit). I have tried them all and this one goes to the top of the list for me. If "presence" is physically being in the room with a natural atmosphere around the performer, using charisma and dynamics to draw me in... then this is presence indeed!

Attachments

• config 11.jpg
    config 11.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #2,025 of 2,322
A few days ago I started exploring a new config (10?), and posted #2022 above about doing so. As I began listening, I felt the description was largely consistent with the notes we have on config 3. But it did reinforce my existing opinion that the Sparkos SS2590 is a very special op-amp and one that imbues strong detail, speed, and stage all while delivering a very linear response. I now believe getting the Sparkos op-amps to the voltage stage (which I believe is the stage that makes the most audible impact) is a profound upgrade to the GT's solid state traits. Having moved that op-amp around, my preference is the SS2590 shines best in that slot. But, of course it requires extensions to avoid contacting the fan housing. So I took the plunge and did that. I strongly believe it's worth it and elevates the listening experience substantially vs. V6 Vivids or for that matter the SS2590 in any other position.

As I was toe tapping and enjoying, I keep seeing my V6 Classics out of the corner of my eye on my desk. While I have experimented with the Classics before, I struggled to find a combo that could deliver the Eureka! moment. Now, I play electric guitar as a hobby and am very familiar with different amp and pedal "tone" changes. I've long thought that the V6 Classic is like baby "overdrive" pedal. I don't want to oversell this, but they give me the modest "texture" enhancement that Burson talks about much like an overdrive channel would do on a guitar amp---but just not as obvious. There is just a bit more warmth, more weight, and more drive. The low end through the mid range is ever so slightly boosted to my ear and the high end is slightly rolled off. I don't think they "sparkle" on the top end and they do bring the vocals bit closer. In the voltage stage I liked Classics, but did not love them and kept rolling. Still, I took note of how they are different and kept them around for the day when I could call them into service.

Once I shoe-horned in my SS2590s with extensions into voltage, I returned to thinking about the benefits of both the SILs and the Classics. I can't get the SILs in the input buffer due to dimensions that impacts the extensions on the SS2590s now. And, the Silent Power Modules on the 2023 GT also stand tall and interfere with laying over the extended SS2590 op-amps. So very carefully and with a hairdryer I warmed up the extensions and formed them into a shape that fit as you see in my picture. Then I determined I had room to put the V6 Classics on the input pad if I moved the SILs over to the volume pad. I really like the SILs on input where they seem to do their low end magic. But with the Classic offering something similar I thought let's try it.

Eureka!

This combination yielded a wonderful synergy of warmth, low-end impact and drive to the music. And the resolution/details were all still present. The low end now prioritizes the timbre and decay and punch that I want. Meanwhile, the resolution provided by the SS2590s is in firm control with great mids, but slightly toned down highs as the SILs and V6 Classics contribute their flavor. A frequent test for me is the opening sequence in "Time" by Pink Floyd. I want to hear those tom drum-heads vibrate and decay. And I want to be able to hear the difference in a 4 inch tom to a 6 inch tom because their is a difference. I also want a crack to snares and shimmer to cymbals. And I want the clocks to ring! Welp, it's all there in this config. Again, not on the bleeding edge of any one attribute, but all well placed among a richer "presence" to the overall music.

If I had to fingerprint 2 drawbacks it would be just a bit of roll off to those highs--which frankly I want because I have always thought the GT could be just a bit shouty. There is also maybe just a touch less speed, which the Classics just "affect" because they have a liquid smoothness to them that fills in a bit of space between instruments. I think warms things up just to the point where max resolution is lost, and THAT I think impacts the sense of speed. So still nice and fast, but again not at the bleeding edge. This might matter most on classical music and to a degree rock. But on anything pop or electronica? The low/mid weight is just glorious. I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues and I think this config is still superior for those genres. Vocals and guitars shine. Bass and drums are visceral. It's a great listening experience even if a touch less attack and speed. For me, compromises are optimized on config 11.

I will add I decided to leave Crossfeed on LOW. It just synergizes with the Classics and supports that sense of "overdrive" though at a cost of a slightly narrowed stage---which I think sounds more "natural" anyway as our hearing is designed to get inputs to both ears from both channels.

Another observation is something about this config gives me a lot more options on MID and HIGH gain on the GT. I flip back and forth more than I used to. For some songs HIGH is still an improvement, but on others MID is much better. In fact, I hear less distortion on MID gain, which can enhance the sound stage presentation on a lot of music. Basically you just get more versatility out of the amp which I think opens up a variety of listening experiences at the touch of a few buttons.

To end this review, in a way I am glad I found a Burson op-amp combo that rose to the top for me. Not that it matters when you just want the best sound, but I do think the V6 Classic is also a special op-amp for the way I want to listen to music. My GT has never sounded better. There is a richness now that I love. My recommendation to any op amp roller is to at least try this config (and just go slow in terms of forming the extensions as you fit it all in the unit). I have tried them all as this one goes to the top of the list for me. This config gives me the best sense of physically being in the room with a natural atmosphere around the performer, using charisma to draw in me, the listener.
Nice write-up! I don't have Classics, but I have the Muzg, and now the SILs, so I want try this with the Muzg in place of the Classics. I've tried so many configs that I've kinda lost track, but feel like I need to give the SS2590s in the voltage gain more time. It was there for a short period and I liked it; this was before the SILs.

Right now, I find no faults with the following for my chain/headphones:
  • Input: SIL 994
  • Volume: SS2590
  • Voltage: SS3306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back