Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #1,353 of 2,326
Very nice mod. Im half tempted to give it a shot. Im using extensions atm.
I would put on the pin protectors that came with your 994s before you attempt it. And maybe heating it up with a hairdryer to soften the plastic.

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,355 of 2,326
yup,actually not so hard if you do it right, I did broke one of my v6 pin out accidentally. but that was a trail and I did find a best way to remove the clear plastic from the bottom. just need to use a cutting piles to pill the plastic bottom cover off. then you can remove the whole thing.
Good idea. I haven’t installed my sparkos because of this also. I will try your method 👍

How is the casing looks like after you peel off? Want to know which point to cut.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,356 of 2,326
Good idea. I haven’t installed my sparkos because of this also. I will try your method 👍

How is the casing looks like after you peel off? Want to know which point to cut.
the case is the red top plastic shell, the bottom part is the transparent plastic, peel off the clear plastic carefully from the side, try to avoid your piller to touch those pins (they are weak). after you peel one side open, you can just pell by hand easily. but after you done it, there are no way back to the case. My recommendation as well is get some dip 8 extension board which is just has male and female pin on the black board also have a groove to indicate your direction. after you take the v6 board out make sure you know which direction is which and place on the extension. because the whole vivid is connect on the top section (soldered) the bottom doesn't have any soldering so it's easy to break time from time.

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #1,357 of 2,326
Hmmm definitely didn't have this experience with my GT. It has a lot of impact and is super thick imo. It doesn't cut like the OOR does, and the mids are more relaxed, but I think the preamp has been fantastic. Those qualities are similar to some of how the GT compares to the OOR as a headphone amp as well
for me the preamp section of gt is not much different compare to 3xp, it works for sure. also there are smearing in details. i ended up prefer the sound come out of dac directly than adding gt in the line.

Jun 7, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #1,360 of 2,326
20220607_134338.jpg

Got Kinki THR1 on loan. Can it match 3GT? We'll see in a couple of days.

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #1,361 of 2,326
So I recently acquired my Soloist GT and have been enjoying it.

It has two features I thought would be fun to explore outside it's core functionality as an amp - they are crossfeed, and the subwoofer out. I did try the crossfeed and on low I did not hear anything that sounded better, and on high I noticed some of the roll off of high frequencies that others have mentioned, so not sure I will be using that regularly.

Yesterday I decided to experiment a bit with the subwoofer out. I have an inexpensive Klipsch subwoofer downstairs - it has wireless input capabilities so easy to experiment with. SO I brought it up to my office where my headphone setup is and had it configured in minutes... I have to say I did like having the sub adding a little extra thump. I tried it with both the ZMF VC's and the Dan Clark Ether 2's and thought it complemented each. I could see getting a better sub like one of the SVS 3000 micros to add in for occasional fun sessions. Of course others in the house hear the sub thumping away, so the idea of not disturbing others by using headphones is out the window with the sub.

I did like the way you can easily change output to have just headphones or headphones + sub. On the down side I noticed when I powered down the amp I did get a loud thump from the sub - both with the sub output engaged and with it switched off. I also got a smaller thump on powering the amp back up. All of my other installs with subs I do not get anything when powering up/down the equipment driving them.

So has anyone else used their sub out? do you get a thump on power off/on? Anyone using an SVS 3000 Micro? ( seems like a good, small choice )

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,362 of 2,326
So I recently acquired my Soloist GT and have been enjoying it.

It has two features I thought would be fun to explore outside it's core functionality as an amp - they are crossfeed, and the subwoofer out. I did try the crossfeed and on low I did not hear anything that sounded better, and on high I noticed some of the roll off of high frequencies that others have mentioned, so not sure I will be using that regularly.

Yesterday I decided to experiment a bit with the subwoofer out. I have an inexpensive Klipsch subwoofer downstairs - it has wireless input capabilities so easy to experiment with. SO I brought it up to my office where my headphone setup is and had it configured in minutes... I have to say I did like having the sub adding a little extra thump. I tried it with both the ZMF VC's and the Dan Clark Ether 2's and thought it complemented each. I could see getting a better sub like one of the SVS 3000 micros to add in for occasional fun sessions. Of course others in the house hear the sub thumping away, so the idea of not disturbing others by using headphones is out the window with the sub.

I did like the way you can easily change output to have just headphones or headphones + sub. On the down side I noticed when I powered down the amp I did get a loud thump from the sub - both with the sub output engaged and with it switched off. I also got a smaller thump on powering the amp back up. All of my other installs with subs I do not get anything when powering up/down the equipment driving them.

So has anyone else used their sub out? do you get a thump on power off/on? Anyone using an SVS 3000 Micro? ( seems like a good, small choice.)
I have been very curious about the sub out especially with the svs 3000 micro since you can control it all through an app on your phone. That would definitely make it easier to balance the volume with your headphone volume.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,363 of 2,326
I'm still using the 994s at the Input Buffer and bass level has increased since from the start of the installation. I've been comparing it with my FA-12 and SA-1 and it's at the same levels now. It's much more so in high gain, as I am listening mostly in medium gain.

I don't think it's fully burned in yet as I have been using it on an off; about 25 hours or so in total. I will leave it on for the weekend to get more burn-in time; we will see what that will yield, hopefully good results.
I have 100 hours or so of burn in on the op-amps. I'm hearing many improvements; sonic clarity, bass density and bass impact. It's finally at the same level of sound quality as my Gustard/Flux set up; almost, just not as warm.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,364 of 2,326
I have 100 hours or so of burn in on the op-amps. I'm hearing many improvements; sonic clarity, bass density and bass impact. It's finally at the same level of sound quality as my Gustard/Flux set up; almost, just not as warm.
Really? Only can be compete with Gustard/flux? After I swap my op amps, I went to a friend of mine and compare with his new Cayin 300B, Fomular S. GT still have its advantage on all factor. probably not as warm as others like the tube amp, but the clarity, dynamic, and depth is balance and well control comparing all those with different headphone as well. I mean some amp have different flavor cuz when they tune their amp they use those headphone, but gt don't pick any headphone, pair well with my susvara, hd800, 1266, as well as he6 which made me surprise.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #1,365 of 2,326
What is the sonic difference between 2x dual SS2590s vs 2x single SS590s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back