Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,321 of 2,326
Has anyone tried speakers with the preamp of the GT and if so how is the sound and what speakers are you using.
The preamp is fantastic. I use my GT with Neumann KH 120A's and it can drive them extremely well. Precise, weighty bass, open and dynamic sound. I just bought the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos and gonna compare with the GT but if the preamp of the OOR cant keep up then I'll likely keep the GT :)

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,322 of 2,326
The preamp is fantastic. I use my GT with Neumann KH 120A's and it can drive them extremely well. Precise, weighty bass, open and dynamic sound. I just bought the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos and gonna compare with the GT but if the preamp of the OOR cant keep up then I'll likely keep the GT :)
I was looking @ speakers and the Neumann KH 120A was one of the speakers that interest me, the other was the Acoustic Energy A1. The KH 120A seems to be what I would be looking for. Thank you for your input.

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #1,323 of 2,326
IMG_20220428_203148.jpg
I'm very happy with the pegasus pairing with my 3GT, so I don't need to look for a new DAC anymore, the last step is to test which op amp is right for my system.

This is interesting. How does this configuration sound compare to the stock format?

Jun 2, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #1,324 of 2,326
Anyone selling any spare op-amp pairs like the SIL 994s or SS2590s?

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,326 of 2,326
I'm not home to do a comparison or don't really remember much from the first comparisons but I believe the 994s at Input Buffer had a bit more bass rumble and punch while the Sparkos at Input Buffer is a bit tighter with less punch.

I'm still using the 994s at the Input Buffer and bass level has increased since from the start of the installation. I've been comparing it with my FA-12 and SA-1 and it's at the same levels now. It's much more so in high gain, as I am listening mostly in medium gain.

I don't think it's fully burned in yet as I have been using it on an off; about 25 hours or so in total. I will leave it on for the weekend to get more burn-in time; we will see what that will yield, hopefully good results.

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #1,327 of 2,326
Anyone tried running a sub on the Burson Soloist GT with Susvara or any other bright sounding headphones. If you could tell me what you thought I would be very appreciative. Thinking about buying a svs 3000 micro sub for them since you can control the volume with app from phone so I can adjust volume as I turn up headphone volume. I wanted you guys input first and I don't know who else to turn to. Thanks for the help
what op amp step up are you end up with bro?

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,328 of 2,326
what op amp step up are you end up with bro?
SS2590 input buffer, SIL 994s at volume control, and V6 Vivids at Voltage.. Thanks to @DAPpower for the combination. I am super happy I can now run on high gain with crazy black background. Thinking of trying to swap the SS2590s and SiL 994's to see which i like better but for now could not be happier. Still very curious what a micro sub added to my headphones would sound like Might make it worse or better so was trying to find someone who tried it before i pull the trigger

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,331 of 2,326
SS2590 input buffer, SIL 994s at volume control, and V6 Vivids at Voltage.. Thanks to @DAPpower for the combination. I am super happy I can now run on high gain with crazy black background. Thinking of trying to swap the SS2590s and SiL 994's to see which i like better but for now could not be happier. Still very curious what a micro sub added to my headphones would sound like Might make it worse or better so was trying to find someone who tried it before i pull the trigger
Can you give me sound impressions of the configurations? Thanks.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,333 of 2,326
Can you give me sound impressions of the configurations? Thanks.
With SS2590s at Input Buffer/ V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain and 994s at Volume Control,
There are faster transients, great resolution in mids (you can hear nuances more now), the upper mids are tamed and the bass is stronger but tighter and not bleeding into mids. With the V6 Vivids at the Voltage Gain, the lower mids/mids are given more air and space retaining a big chunk of the soundstage from stock configuration. Dynamics are improved from stock configuration.

Flip this the other way with the 994s at Input Buffer and SS2590s at Volume Control and you get slightly stronger dynamics, a sort of "3d effect" where the upper mids are pushed a bit more forward and the lower mids/mids are sort of echoing in the back, very noticeable and are present along with the upper mids that are closer to your face. Bass impact is a bit stronger than the Sparkos at Input Buffer. Not as fast sounding as the Sparkos at Input Buffer.

Now there is a third configuration which @greyforest informed me about the op amps when I did my first chain rolling,

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain
V6 Vivids at Volume Control

This is the most dynamic and visceral sounding format. Upper mids are more forward than the other formats, the soundstage is not as wide or deep and everything is in your face. I liked it but on many tracks I found it to be a bit too shouty and intense.

I would prefer the V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain to restore more space and soundstage. So I'm currently using the first format in this post.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,334 of 2,326
With SS2590s at Input Buffer/ V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain and 994s at Volume Control,
There are faster transients, great resolution in mids (you can hear nuances more now), the upper mids are tamed and the bass is stronger but tighter and not bleeding into mids. With the V6 Vivids at the Voltage Gain, the lower mids/mids are given more air and space retaining a big chunk of the soundstage from stock configuration. Dynamics are improved from stock configuration.

Flip this the other way with the 994s at Input Buffer and SS2590s at Volume Control and you get slightly stronger dynamics, a sort of "3d effect" where the upper mids are pushed a bit more forward and the lower mids/mids are sort of echoing in the back, very noticeable and are present along with the upper mids that are closer to your face. Bass impact is a bit stronger than the Sparkos at Input Buffer. Not as fast sounding as the Sparkos at Input Buffer.

Now there is a third configuration which @greyforest informed me about the op amps when I did my first chain rolling,

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain

This is the most dynamic and visceral sounding format. Upper mids are more forward than the other formats, the soundstage is not as wide or deep and everything is in your face. I liked it but on many tracks I found it to be a bit too shouty and intense.

I would prefer the V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain to restore more space and soundstage. So I'm currently using the first format in this post.
agree. I feel the same way.
But the best sound was the end when grey's op amp setting and a stage-characteristic pre-amplifier were added between gt and dac.

Jun 4, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,335 of 2,326

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain

Gonna bookmark this post for later. It's the best summation of the various combinations, and it seems a lot of users are hearing what you hear, so good job and good ear. Thanks for putting it all together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back