Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jun 4, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,336 of 2,280
With SS2590s at Input Buffer/ V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain and 994s at Volume Control,
There are faster transients, great resolution in mids (you can hear nuances more now), the upper mids are tamed and the bass is stronger but tighter and not bleeding into mids. With the V6 Vivids at the Voltage Gain, the lower mids/mids are given more air and space retaining a big chunk of the soundstage from stock configuration. Dynamics are improved from stock configuration.

Flip this the other way with the 994s at Input Buffer and SS2590s at Volume Control and you get slightly stronger dynamics, a sort of "3d effect" where the upper mids are pushed a bit more forward and the lower mids/mids are sort of echoing in the back, very noticeable and are present along with the upper mids that are closer to your face. Bass impact is a bit stronger than the Sparkos at Input Buffer. Not as fast sounding as the Sparkos at Input Buffer.

Now there is a third configuration which @greyforest informed me about the op amps when I did my first chain rolling,

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain
V6 Vivids at Volume Control

This is the most dynamic and visceral sounding format. Upper mids are more forward than the other formats, the soundstage is not as wide or deep and everything is in your face. I liked it but on many tracks I found it to be a bit too shouty and intense.

I would prefer the V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain to restore more space and soundstage. So I'm currently using the first format in this post.

Thank you so much. I'm creating a Soloist GT op-amp comparison chart for myself as a reference.

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,337 of 2,280
Dropped in a pair of SIL 994 into my GT’s input buffer, replacing stock vivid v6s. Will give them the weekend to burn in, and report initial impressions.

I continue to be very happy with the classics at the volume buffer. No way would I go back to stock on that swap (primary benefit being improved bass).

I listen mainly to 70s/80s rock.

Attachments

• 317392FF-73B3-417F-9324-5E9244D17A31.jpeg
    317392FF-73B3-417F-9324-5E9244D17A31.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,338 of 2,280
Is it just me, or is the Soloist GT "too loud"? 01 in low gain is almost too loud using low impedance headphones like Grados, and I find that 01 in high gain is a pretty reasonable listening level on Susvara - I can't go any louder than 10 in high gain with the Susvara on certain tracks. I usually find myself dropping the headroom on my DAC by -10dB in Roon just to have any usable volume range with the GT.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,339 of 2,280
Is it just me, or is the Soloist GT "too loud"? 01 in low gain is almost too loud using low impedance headphones like Grados, and I find that 01 in high gain is a pretty reasonable listening level on Susvara - I can't go any louder than 10 in high gain with the Susvara on certain tracks. I usually find myself dropping the headroom on my DAC by -10dB in Roon just to have any usable volume range with the GT.
Sounds like my kind of problem - I have a Gustard P26 preamp with Burson vivid opamps - The higher the preamp the warmer the sound. I like it best at 50/99. This has the run on effect of reducing potential volume by ~25dB. I also attenuate volume digitally in foobar.
Preamp and foobar combined, my THX 789 is cranked almost to the max on medium gain to get a normal volume level. High gain is a little bit less resolving.
A high power amp like the GT or Soloist sounds like a dream.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,340 of 2,280
With SS2590s at Input Buffer/ V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain and 994s at Volume Control,
There are faster transients, great resolution in mids (you can hear nuances more now), the upper mids are tamed and the bass is stronger but tighter and not bleeding into mids. With the V6 Vivids at the Voltage Gain, the lower mids/mids are given more air and space retaining a big chunk of the soundstage from stock configuration. Dynamics are improved from stock configuration.

Flip this the other way with the 994s at Input Buffer and SS2590s at Volume Control and you get slightly stronger dynamics, a sort of "3d effect" where the upper mids are pushed a bit more forward and the lower mids/mids are sort of echoing in the back, very noticeable and are present along with the upper mids that are closer to your face. Bass impact is a bit stronger than the Sparkos at Input Buffer. Not as fast sounding as the Sparkos at Input Buffer.

Now there is a third configuration which @greyforest informed me about the op amps when I did my first chain rolling,

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain

This is the most dynamic and visceral sounding format. Upper mids are more forward than the other formats, the soundstage is not as wide or deep and everything is in your face. I liked it but on many tracks I found it to be a bit too shouty and intense.

I would prefer the V6 Vivids at Voltage Gain to restore more space and soundstage. So I'm currently using the first format in this post.
Last night I just swapped the input with 2590 (used to use the 994). I didn’t use any flex extensions on the voltage stage. When I install the 2590 on the input stage, it push a bit the v6 on voltage stage. I think it should be fine……

For the sound different you were mention, it actually felt a bit different to my ear.

Input: 994
Volum: 2590
Voltage: v6 vivid

The bass is impact to my face feel, a little blend in to the low mid. Dynamic but depend on the music you are listening to, performance are various.

Input: 2590
Volum: 994
Voltage: v6 vivid

This is what I did last night. Actually sound stage become wider, base is not as impact as using 994 on the input buffer. The mid are layback a bit. Everything feel bounce faster which is good to balance the headphone I use (both my modhouse and nan6, didn’t try with my hd800 yet). But this setup feels more balance to most headphone and music imo.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #1,341 of 2,280
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,342 of 2,280
This is what I did last night. Actually sound stage become wider, base is not as impact as using 994 on the input buffer. The mid are layback a bit. Everything feel bounce faster which is good to balance the headphone I use (both my modhouse and nan6, didn’t try with my hd800 yet). But this setup feels more balance to most headphone and music imo.

Yeah I definitely agree, the mids might feel laid back but has more air and space, this is a quality that is still retained from the stock GT format which was a big difference in soundstage from the

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain

that I was initially using.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #1,343 of 2,280
Yeah I definitely agree, the mids might feel laid back but has more air and space, this is a quality that is still retained from the stock GT format which was a big difference in soundstage from the

994s at Input Buffer
SS22590s at Voltage Gain

that I was initially using.

Did you use any extension for the v6 in voltage gain? I know if you put 994 at buffer won’t have any issue, but if 2590 on buffer stage either you feel confident that even they squeeze together but won’t cause any problem or you take a flex extension for the v6 on voltage gain.

What is your solution I’m quite interested

Thanks

Original or using 994 on buffer feels too bass head from my liking. So I really wanna stick with 2590 on input buffer stage

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #1,345 of 2,280
it is thin sounding and lack bit of focus

Hmmm definitely didn't have this experience with my GT. It has a lot of impact and is super thick imo. It doesn't cut like the OOR does, and the mids are more relaxed, but I think the preamp has been fantastic. Those qualities are similar to some of how the GT compares to the OOR as a headphone amp as well

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #1,346 of 2,280
Did you use any extension for the v6 in voltage gain? I know if you put 994 at buffer won’t have any issue, but if 2590 on buffer stage either you feel confident that even they squeeze together but won’t cause any problem or you take a flex extension for the v6 on voltage gain.

What is your solution I’m quite interested

Thanks

Original or using 994 on buffer feels too bass head from my liking. So I really wanna stick with 2590 on input buffer stage
Yeah, I used the extenders the Sparkos and the Burson are touching a bit too tightly for comfort.

Alright glad we have landed on a format that will satisfy our preferences for now. :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #1,347 of 2,280
Yeah, I used the extenders the Sparkos and the Burson are touching a bit too tightly for comfort.

Alright glad we have landed on a format that will satisfy our preferences for now. :)
few minute ago i found a best solution

Attachments

• 20220605_135044.jpg
    20220605_135044.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220605_135044.jpg
    20220605_135044.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220605_135048.jpg
    20220605_135048.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #1,348 of 2,280

extension bugs me a lot, since sometime I need to take the gt out for sharing the experience with others. so flex extension will be wiggling inside which drag me nuts. lol now all sit tight inside and no influensing each others.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #1,349 of 2,280
extension bugs me a lot, since sometime I need to take the gt out for sharing the experience with others. so flex extension will be wiggling inside which drag me nuts. lol now all sit tight inside and no influensing each others.
What what did you do? Take the shell off the V6?

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #1,350 of 2,280
What what did you do? Take the shell off the V6?
yup,actually not so hard if you do it right, I did broke one of my v6 pin out accidentally. but that was a trail and I did find a best way to remove the clear plastic from the bottom. just need to use a cutting piles to pill the plastic bottom cover off. then you can remove the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back