Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 27, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #316 of 2,259
Didn't manage to fix the louder than expected fan / air noise, talking to Burson about it, let's see what happens.

But I've got an update for people with sensitive IEMs. I had an issue with Odins and noisy background, decided to try iFi Ear Buddy, on low gain I had to go from 20 to around 40 to get roughly the same volume, but there is no quality degradation I could hear and the background is pitch black, which is perfect, really happy with the performance of this chain so far.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #317 of 2,259
In this price range I’m considering the new iCan pro signature, this, or a GSX mini (slightly less $$ than the other two). If it weren’t for the reported issues here the soloist GT seems like the best option but don’t wanna deal with potential fan noise and a fussy volume nob spending $2300. Torn :-/

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #318 of 2,259
In this price range I’m considering the new iCan pro signature, this, or a GSX mini (slightly less $$ than the other two). If it weren’t for the reported issues here the soloist GT seems like the best option but don’t wanna deal with potential fan noise and a fussy volume nob spending $2300. Torn :-/
Yeah I'm in the same boat having the amp in house for a few days ... the only issue I've got is the fan noise ... but then again the performance is through the roof for me, dual mono, loads of inputs, outputs, crossfeed, op amp rolling (huge for me) ... I don't have any issues with the knob thankfully, or anything else ...

I'm yet to hear from Burson re noise, but I'm starting to think I'll probably try to experiment with fans myself and try to get it a few db down if I have to.

I would love it to have the claimed 25db noise ... and I absolutely hate when a product doesn't do what the company claims ... but it sounds so good and it offers so much for the money (you absolutely need the supercharger for it mind) ... choices choices

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #319 of 2,259
Yeah I'm in the same boat having the amp in house for a few days ... the only issue I've got is the fan noise ... but then again the performance is through the roof for me, dual mono, loads of inputs, outputs, crossfeed, op amp rolling (huge for me) ... I don't have any issues with the knob thankfully, or anything else ...

I'm yet to hear from Burson re noise, but I'm starting to think I'll probably try to experiment with fans myself and try to get it a few db down if I have to.

I would love it to have the claimed 25db noise ... and I absolutely hate when a product doesn't do what the company claims ... but it sounds so good and it offers so much for the money (you absolutely need the supercharger for it mind) ... choices choices

If fan noise is the only issue then its 0 issue for me. I sit 8 feet away from hp amps so wouldn’t hear a thing. As long as no noise is introduced into the chain I’ll be set.

still waiting Sandus review of 3gt vs Volot vs Oor +hypsos.

hard pass on the gsx mini and Mk2 for me don’t like their sound signature. formula s + powerman and niimbus us4 used also start to creep into range pending prices.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #320 of 2,259
The fan noise I also don’t care as much if we’re just talking about it in the room. I already sit next to a computer that runs with insane fan noise and it’s never bugged me even with open backs. If it’s getting into the chain is what I worry about. Also, I’ll be mostly using the amp right now with verite closed headphones so that’ll reduce even more outside noise

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #321 of 2,259
In my opinion, to get the most out of the amp, you're going to need a pair of hard to drive headphones. If you already have a pair of such headphones, I think you can't go wrong with the GT. The fan noise is there, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. The volume knob does bother me, so I use the remote to change the volume. If you have easy to drive headphones, I can suggest the GS-X mini.

Edit: GT sounds better than the mini to me even with easy to drive headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #322 of 2,259
In my opinion, to get the most out of the amp, you're going to need a pair of hard to drive headphones. If you already have a pair of such headphones, I think you can't go wrong with the GT. The fan noise is there, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. The volume knob does bother me, so I use the remote to change the volume. If you have easy to drive headphones, I can suggest the GS-X mini.
Totally get this sentiment but I guess what keeps me on the fence is I am interested in amp I can keep for the long haul and can work with a variety of headphones regardless of how I change. It’s so close in price to the GSX Mini, id hate to buy the mini, love it for a couple years, then need to buy this or something more powerful cuz I ended up getting a power hungry headphone. Going for the “buy once, cry once” method if I can lol

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #323 of 2,259
Totally get this sentiment but I guess what keeps me on the fence is I am interested in amp I can keep for the long haul and can work with a variety of headphones regardless of how I change. It’s so close in price to the GSX Mini, id hate to buy the mini, love it for a couple years, then need to buy this or something more powerful cuz I ended up getting a power hungry headphone. Going for the “buy once, cry once” method if I can lol
If you don't care about room noise get the GT and enjoy :) no noise in the chain apart from sensitive IEMs for which things like iFi Ear Buddy solve the noise floor issue. Full sized headphones have black background when ran on appropriate gain from my testing. Also you can roll op amps as needed when you change headphones. That's the biggest thing about Burson for me.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #324 of 2,259
Since I can go back and forth with the GS-X mini and the GT, I can say neither may be the perfect match for you, if what you seek is a "amp to rule them all". You might need to compromise slightly. If you ever plan on getting a Susvara, get the GT. I agree with what Krude has said, you can use the low gain setting for easier to drive headphones, the background is not as black as I would like it, but the noise floor is not audible. The GT gives you an upgrade path if you ever choose to get something like the Susvaras. I do plan on getting the Susvara's so the GT is most likely going to stay. But I do enjoy the Utopia's with the mini more.

Edit: With more time spent, I can say I enjoy the GT's more than the mini.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #326 of 2,259
get a mini and stay away from anything ifi.
get 3gt if you need function such as channel balence or crossfeed

otherwise you can get a very reasonable price for gsx mini second handed and its a very solid tier II amp probably the best for the price range
3gt is mid tier I but have its flaws and it cant do it all.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #327 of 2,259
get a mini and stay away from anything ifi.
get 3gt if you need function such as channel balence or crossfeed

otherwise you can get a very reasonable price for gsx mini second handed and its a very solid tier II amp probably the best for the price range
3gt is mid tier I but have its flaws and it cant do it all.

In what tier would you place the Ferrum Oor+hypsos? Does it edge out the GT?

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #328 of 2,259
I think we need to critically consider the methodology at which these measurements are taken by the various users.

Firstly, the decibel reading is going to vary depending on your listening position. I don’t believe anyone is realistically going to be listening to their headphones with their head resting on the amp.

Which brings me to the second point. It appears that some folks are measuring the noise by resting their measuring device on the amp. If this is the case, the measuring device is going to pick up any vibrations from the amp or air the fan is displacing thus rendering the measurements skewed.

Lastly, I understand if amp placement is limiting for some people and can only place the amp within close proximity (or within earshot). In that case, I can understand that the fan noise has a greater potential to affect listening enjoyment, but the impact a few db of noise has may be highly subjective.

But to round back, I think we need to start by obtaining fan noise measurements relative to listening position.

Even with measurements being taken properly, the results may be a moot point when you consider how much noise is attenuated when you actually have headphones over your ears.

With all the factors taken in consideration and assuming that the fan doesn’t add noise to the circuitry, I think the fan noise will be negligible. However, with all conditions being ideal and the fan is putting out 45db, then it becomes a problem Burson should look into.

Of course, this is all in theory. I’m excited to get my GT in anytime now and you can bet I’m gonna obtain my own measurements.

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #329 of 2,259
I think we need to critically consider the methodology at which these measurements are taken by the various users.

Firstly, the decibel reading is going to vary depending on your listening position. I don’t believe anyone is realistically going to be listening to their headphones with their head resting on the amp.

Which brings me to the second point. It appears that some folks are measuring the noise by resting their measuring device on the amp. If this is the case, the measuring device is going to pick up any vibrations from the amp or air the fan is displacing thus rendering the measurements skewed.

Lastly, I understand if amp placement is limiting for some people and can only place the amp within close proximity (or within earshot). In that case, I can understand that the fan noise has a greater potential to affect listening enjoyment, but the impact a few db of noise has may be highly subjective.

But to round back, I think we need to start by obtaining fan noise measurements relative to listening position.

Even with measurements being taken properly, the results may be a moot point when you consider how much noise is attenuated when you actually have headphones over your ears.

With all the factors taken in consideration and assuming that the fan doesn’t add noise to the circuitry, I think the fan noise will be negligible. However, with all conditions being ideal and the fan is putting out 45db, then it becomes a problem Burson should look into.

Of course, this is all in theory. I’m excited to get my GT in anytime now and you can bet I’m gonna obtain my own measurements.
To investigate some of the concerns that others were reporting I did some of the above measuring tests - they’re in no way foolproof or free of external conditions influencing the noise etc… and to your point the moment my headphones go on my ears and music starts playing (even at a low listening volume), I literally hear no fan noise at all.

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #330 of 2,259
^^ your review from earlier is what put me over the edge to buy. I also have a Bifrost 2 :). I’m confident fan noise won’t bother me since it’s just room noise which doesn’t bother me with my 5 noctua fans blowing at 100% in my desktop right now. If the volume button sucks, well, lame but there’s a remote at least and possible firmware updates to help the sensitivity even out. Other than that this seems like a home run so I’m stoked for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back