Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #346 of 2,280
I am so addicted to this amp right now and it has made me so surprised by the amount of negativity there is on the GT so far. This makes no sense based on my experience with it. The fan is $20, literally $20. If there is a faulty fan, it is so cheap and easy to replace. How in the world can one say that a $20 part is the sole reason an amp is unacceptable and needs be returned and forgotten? How is the fan noise such a "mystery" when it is the same fan that massive amounts of people who build their pc's have installed for years and years. Just google the Noctua quiet fans, they are the best in the market for air cooling and noise levels. Where is this "mystery" coming from?

The volume knob isn't top tier, but is absolutely not a deal breaker. The only issue I have is with menu option selections, but I have much better experiences now after not removing my grip on the wheel when pressing down. I find the smooth wheel superior for changing volume levels as you can circle your index finder around and spin the wheel rather quickly, and the slower increments in volume is also superior to get more exact levels.

It's an awesome amp.
Dude I'm happy that your unit is perfect, but you have to understand QA and unit variation, maybe then you will be less surprised.

I didn't have a single issue with my 3xp but I never said that I'm surprised that other people are experiencing and documenting legit issues and are a bit peeved off at times. If I were you I would enjoy my unit and hope Burson can solve other peoples issues so they can enjoy theirs as well.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #347 of 2,280
I am so addicted to this amp right now and it has made me so surprised by the amount of negativity there is on the GT so far. This makes no sense based on my experience with it. The fan is $20, literally $20. If there is a faulty fan, it is so cheap and easy to replace. How in the world can one say that a $20 part is the sole reason an amp is unacceptable and needs be returned and forgotten? How is the fan noise such a "mystery" when it is the same fan that massive amounts of people who build their pc's have installed for years and years. Just google the Noctua quiet fans, they are the best in the market for air cooling and noise levels. Where is this "mystery" coming from?

The volume knob isn't top tier, but is absolutely not a deal breaker. The only issue I have is with menu option selections, but I have much better experiences now after not removing my grip on the wheel when pressing down. I find the smooth wheel superior for changing volume levels as you can circle your index finder around and spin the wheel rather quickly, and the slower increments in volume is also superior to get more exact levels.

It's an awesome amp.
Also imagine this, the amp is advertised at 25db, it seems to be objectively reviewed as being "whisper quiet" which is around 25db. You get a unit that measures at 35-40db and is objectively not "whisper quiet" by any stretch, but you keep it. One year later you decide to sell ... how the hell are you going to sell it then? The guy who buys it off you has a high chance of saying "dude, it's clearly broken!" and push you for a refund on PayPal, and he would be right. You would have to sell it as "factory defect with higher than usual noise level" ... but you bought it at full price right. That highlights the problem here, and this forum is for poeple in those situations to get a consensus and work together to try to overcome those problems I think. At least that's why I'm here, to help others and seek help when needed.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #348 of 2,280
Zima500 the issue is that the fan noise is advertised at under 25dBA when it's actually running closer to 40dBA. It has nothing to do with whether they put a $20 fan or a $100 fan. You would rather people stay quiet with their purchases? Because it's not a big deal for you?
If you are refering to me the phone is :
1. Not resting on the amp
2. Measuring next to the fan with the same app is the only semi objective way to compare possible unit variation
3. Burson claims the noise level of the unit is 25db ... which for me means maximum you could ever measure
4. I did my laptop the same way and indeed got 25db during normal operation

Lastly people seem to report 2 completely different noise levels. Some people say it is indeed whisper quier, like Lachlan in his review, and I have no reason to doubt him as he is really professional and open, and some other people myself included report that it's on a level of a regular PC ... which doesn't seem right for a TOTL audiophile piece of gear in my mind. That's it.

Frankly, I find these manufacturer claims of power ratings and in this case, fan noise claims nebulous at best. Like I said before it’s always relative.

“Amp is capable of providing 10 watts per channel.”
But at what impedance (8, 32, 300)?”

“Amp fan emits noise at 25 db maximum.”
But at what distance relative to listening position (1 in, 1 ft, 1 m)?

Claims like these are absolutely a responsibility the manufacturers (and Burson, in the case of the latter) need to clarify.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #349 of 2,280
In what tier would you place the Ferrum Oor+hypsos? Does it edge out the GT?
got to say it does edge out gt in terms of detail retrieve. overall it is same tier as gt
but it depends on what features is valued higher, for some people it is smoothness for others it is the resolution.

for the time i spent with gt, i am happy for what it does. but 3gt is missing some of those resolution compared to other good amps.
it gives you the facade of great resolution, but somehow i feel infomation is missing or darkened in some tracks

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #350 of 2,280
For all those issues with gt, fan noise is really the insignificant one. it is possible that there are qc problems with the fan. but for most of the time. if you have an earphone on. it is not something needs to be concerned. all those fan will get louder while dust is accumulated on it. it is a compromise made by burson. thats why 3gt is cheap(relatively)

3gt is made and probably designed in china. if you look up burson audio‘s abn(Australian Business Register) you will see the address of registration is a repair shop
Key contact details for Burson Audio?
Phone: 03 9350 6710
Address:2 Sussex St, Coburg VIC, 3058

look it up yourself in google map
and you will find all those issue neglectble

so all i am saying is 3xp and 3gt is price competetive chifi product. i am happy with it.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #351 of 2,280
Zima500 the issue is that the fan noise is advertised at under 25dBA when it's actually running closer to 40dBA. It has nothing to do with whether they put a $20 fan or a $100 fan. You would rather people stay quiet with their purchases? Because it's not a big deal for you?
My issue is that you are stating it is 40db in general, as per Burson's design. This is not true. You guys are sticking a cell phone right on top of the amp and measuring db incorrectly. You are also using a mobile app which is not an accurate method. I have built so many PC's since I was in middle school playing Diablo, and have purchased so many fans with varying db levels. There is no way one can claim the noctua fan in the GT is loud. Read the reviews, this is the fan:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A1...ywords=noctua+nf-a12x15&qid=1638087447&sr=8-4

Googled how db levels are measured for fans and this dude describes noctua's process (1 meter away from fan)

This is coming from a pc gamer who hates fan noise and water cools everything as I find the fan noise to kill immersion when gaming.
I stated this earlier, my fan noise from the GT is exactly like Lachlan describes his unit. If you are stating your unit is much louder, than that is not the norm.
A better idea would be taking a video/sound recording and comparing something with similar db levels with varying distances, not right on top of the amp. I have zero confidence in these cell phone apps.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #352 of 2,280
My issue is that you are stating it is 40db in general, as per Burson's design. This is not true. You guys are sticking a cell phone right on top of the amp and measuring db incorrectly. You are also using a mobile app which is not an accurate method. I have built so many PC's since I was in middle school playing Diablo, and have purchased so many fans with varying db levels. There is no way one can claim the noctua fan in the GT is loud. Read the reviews, this is the fan:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A1...ywords=noctua+nf-a12x15&qid=1638087447&sr=8-4

Googled how db levels are measured for fans and this dude describes noctua's process (1 meter away from fan)

This is coming from a pc gamer who hates fan noise and water cools everything as I find the fan noise to kill immersion when gaming.
I stated this earlier, my fan noise from the GT is exactly like Lachlan describes his unit. If you are stating your unit is much louder, than that is not the norm.
A better idea would be taking a video/sound recording and comparing something with similar db levels with varying distances, not right on top of the amp. I have zero confidence in these cell phone apps.

Ill post a vid in a sec.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #353 of 2,280
You are clearly supperior than the rest of us, how about you post some measurements we can relate to then? So far you point fingers at everyone but not offered any support or solutions?
I just offered my support. I stated if you feel your unit is making such a loud noise than it is not the norm. It should sound the same as Lachlan's, that's how mine sounds. Contact Burson if that is how you feel and try to make a video/audio recording with a similar db product.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #354 of 2,280
I just offered my support. I stated if you feel your unit is making such a loud noise than it is not the norm. It should sound the same as Lachlan's, that's how mine sounds. Contact Burson if that is how you feel and try to make a video/audio recording with a similar db product.
Ok, to be even more objective I took the same measurement of the fan on the desk, and here's the vid I've sent to Burson. Again, I hope they will come back with some help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wb0WSJLHkgmzpb75gmQ5-Nw-0UtuPsoI/view

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #355 of 2,280
All of the headphones you listed are harder to drive than my utopias. I have the gsx mini right next to me to do a a/b comparison. What don’t you understand? All I was saying was that if you don’t plan on getting hard to drive headphones, the mini would be more than enough. If someone plans on getting a harder to drive planar headphone the GT should be on the table.

I don’t see anything unreasonable with what I said.
No, the th900 pearl whites are easier to drive. They have an impedance of 25 ohms and sensitivity of 100dB/ 1mW. The Utopia is at 80 ohms/104db.

The point I am making is that there is an abundance of negativity for the GT. There is little talk of the awesome sound quality and sharing of experiences with different headphones and dacs. I am not stating you cannot speak of issues, but it's clearly towards negativity.

Look at your comment here and tell me you are not being negative. You are suggesting that the "mini would be more than enough" and that the GT is mainly suitable for hard to drive headphones like the Susvara. Well, the 3XP would be better bang for your buck and could also be "more than enough". You could also say that same about the Singxer SA-1. The GS-X mini is a good amp, especially at the current 2nd hand market rates now, but could you say it is worth the money over a 3XP or SA-1?
Brand new, it is $1800 - $2000. According to the reviews, the mini is an amp that is between the 3XP and GT in performance. It is clearly not on the same level as the GT. So it is the same rule in audio equipment, diminishing returns as price increases.

My experience, along with others here and from the review, is that the GT improves sound quality regardless of how difficult a headphone is to drive. I have found more improvement from my TH900 than the He6se I have.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #356 of 2,280

The information here is underrated. Thanks for clarifying.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #358 of 2,280
My unit is on the road!

Hell ya! Found out I got super lucky as well. Ordered from moon audio but they still had the preorder deal up even though their units are in this week and shipping this week. So I nabbed 10% off, free cooling stand and free supercharger :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #359 of 2,280
No, the th900 pearl whites are easier to drive. They have an impedance of 25 ohms and sensitivity of 100dB/ 1mW. The Utopia is at 80 ohms/104db.

The point I am making is that there is an abundance of negativity for the GT. There is little talk of the awesome sound quality and sharing of experiences with different headphones and dacs. I am not stating you cannot speak of issues, but it's clearly towards negativity.

Look at your comment here and tell me you are not being negative. You are suggesting that the "mini would be more than enough" and that the GT is mainly suitable for hard to drive headphones like the Susvara. Well, the 3XP would be better bang for your buck and could also be "more than enough". You could also say that same about the Singxer SA-1. The GS-X mini is a good amp, especially at the current 2nd hand market rates now, but could you say it is worth the money over a 3XP or SA-1?
Brand new, it is $1800 - $2000. According to the reviews, the mini is an amp that is between the 3XP and GT in performance. It is clearly not on the same level as the GT. So it is the same rule in audio equipment, diminishing returns as price increases.

My experience, along with others here and from the review, is that the GT improves sound quality regardless of how difficult a headphone is to drive. I have found more improvement from my TH900 than the He6se I have.
I do talk about the good things in my impressions post. I talk about the gs-x mini because it's the amp I used (and still use) immediately before the GT. Someone also posted that they were on the fence between three amps, one being the gs-x mini and another being the GT. Again, are you saying it's better that we don't talk about the volume control, fan noise, or anything else that doesn't relate to the sound? I agree it sounds fine, but the things that aren't implemented well should be discussed, not swept under the rug by the things it does well.

I disagree that the GT improves easier to drive headphones over the gs-x mini. That is not an attack on your belief or on Burson. That is my subjective opinion. Have you owned the mini? If you haven't owned the mini how can you say that it won't do a better job for easier to drive headphones like the Utopia's and the th900 pearl whites? I have both amps and IN MY OPINION the gs-x has the lower noise floor. "It is clearly not on the same level as the GT" how did you come to this conclusion?

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #360 of 2,280
Too much arguing up in here. Everyone is right. No matter how good a product is, people should feel free to post issues they're having with the unit. These issues could be legitimate, actual issues/bugs/defects that the company needs to be aware of and fix. They could also just be subjective issues with a design decision (fan in an amp) that could be problems for that specific user and not a problem for 100 other people. Either way, surfacing issues as a whole let's someone make an objective decision on what works for them or what may be a deal breaker.

At the same time, it's great that people are in here sharing how truly incredible this amp is. Through the issues some folks may be having, it's clear that Burson has created something pretty special here that can be an endgame amp for many, many people. I ultimately made the decision here based off both the pros and cons I read in this thread and I'm glad I knew about both before purchasing so I didn't run into any hidden "surprises" that would have upset me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back