Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 25, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #286 of 2,259
I honestly have not missed a selection yet with the knob (and I don't have the most stable hand), but I do find the volume numbers going up and down a bit weird - although apparently this is common with all Burson Amps. I still find using the knob glorious and silky smooth and I guess I tune in to my desired volume more by ear than by the numbers on the dial. I continue to be wowed by the details within the sound, the missing harshness from every single track and headphone I've tried this on, and the super expansive soundstage that can get even bigger by using 'medium' crossfeed. So far a pretty happy customer and the Susvara on this amp feels just right (although I haven't heard it on super expensive amps like the AHB2 or the Bakoon).

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #287 of 2,259
@Profoundsoup, I have not listened to the HPA4 but according to reviews it does not appear it has audio quality to the level you describe. SoundNews describes the Volot as clearly being superior to the HPA4, and that is $500 cheaper.

Comparison:
"Dynamics weren’t going up and down with HPA4, bass and midrange weren’t vivid and more like…emotionless to me. Soundstage felt closed-in, to the point of being claustrophobic, as everything sounded cozier and much smaller in size."

"Volot made my music bigger, wider, airier and way deeper sounding, it really improved every single headphone from my stable, some were only marginally better, while others spread their wings and kick-started my imagination."

What is very interesting is that this sounds exactly what I hear from the GT. Reading this review makes me super interested in a Volot and GT comparison. I believe Soundnews should have the comparison in his upcomong GT review. That is the real competition that I see at <$3k.

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #288 of 2,259
I’ve heard the HPA4, and although I like that it’s uncoloured, it reminds me most of the drop thx 789 - with all the advantages and disadvantages that that amp brings to the fore.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #289 of 2,259
That's my ambient noise level and fan on, probably 10 cm from the fan itself.

Would be interested to see how others perform.
That app is very inaccurate. The db levels were all over the place. (high db when I have my pc and all electronics off. Quiet room)

The fan inside the GT is a Noctua NF-A12x15, which has a max noise at 23.9 dB.
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A12x15-PWM-Premium-Quiet/dp/B071W6HJP6

Also, according to the review Burson is running the fan at "half the speed" with a db ~20. I have purchased many Noctua fans over the years and this sounds like a low db fan should sound, quiet and inaudible when any audio is present.

Best description for noise levels are in the review. This is exactly how my GT sounds. Start at 23:06

If your fan does not sound like this, then the fan may be faulty. It for sure is quiet. I would always take an active cooled amp with this small form factor over a passive cooled one that is gigantic like the Volot. I run short custom cables and need my amp close to me.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #290 of 2,259
That app is very inaccurate. The db levels were all over the place.

The fan inside the GT is a Noctua NF-A12x15, which has a max noise at 23.9 dB.
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A12x15-PWM-Premium-Quiet/dp/B071W6HJP6

Also, according to the review Burson is running the fan at "half the speed" with a db ~20. I have purchased many Noctua fans over the years and this sounds like a low db fan should sound, quiet and inaudible when any audio is present.

Best description for noise levels are in the review. This is exactly how my GT sounds. Start at 23:06

If your fan does not sound like this, then the fan may be faulty. It for sure is quiet. I would always take an active cooled amp with this small form factor over a passive cooled one that is gigantic like the Volot. I run short custom cables and need my amp close to me.

I've spent about half an hour with the app and I can't say it's inacurate or all over the place but thanks for your help anyway.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #291 of 2,259
If anyonce else would like to measure the level of their ambient env and the db level next to the fan with ANY app or a professional db meter I would be greatful. I would really like to know what is going on.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #292 of 2,259
Using Decibel X I got 29dB at 50cm horizontally measured from the top of the amp. Next to the fan it’s 30.4dB. Still a non-issue.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #293 of 2,259
Using Decibel X I got 29dB at 50cm horizontally measured from the top of the amp. Still a non-issue.
Thanks, I'm getting 35db from at the same distance. I'm writing to Burson to see if they can help.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #294 of 2,259
Right on top of the fan, microphone perpendicular to the airflow, I get 35dB.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #295 of 2,259
Right on top of the fan, microphone perpendicular to the airflow, I get 35dB.
Ok, that puts things in perspective, top of the fan I get 40db with Decibel X ... this is quite a difference then. Thank you, I'll try to get it sorted. This may be a good piece of info for new users if anyone else has that kind of issues. Again, thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #296 of 2,259
Yeah ok if it’s 50dB that’s quite a drastic difference. Assuming you’re on top of a solid wood desk or something you shouldn’t be getting that sort of fan noise. I wonder if the fan isn’t on properly or something?

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #297 of 2,259
Yeah ok if it’s 50dB that’s quite a drastic difference. Assuming you’re on top of a solid wood desk or something you shouldn’t be getting that sort of fan noise. I wonder if the fan isn’t on properly or something?
Just updated my post, re-measured with Decibel X so we're definitely doing apples to apples and getting 40db with DbX with the identical conditions. 5db is still a lot. I'll try to get to the bottom of this and report back.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #298 of 2,259
Found in the internet:

Can smartphone apps, costing anywhere from $1 to $20, provide accurate occupational noise measurements? A new study provides the answer.
The answer is, “Yes,” but only four apps that were tested measure up.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) evaluated the apps at its acoustic testing lab. The tests also compared results for i-Phones and Android phones.
OSHA requires noise measurement instruments to have an accuracy of +/- 2 decibels (dB).
For unweighted sound level measurements, NoiSee, SoundMeter and SPLnFFT had mean differences within the +/- 2dB of the reference measurement.

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #299 of 2,259
Thanks, I'm getting 35db from at the same distance. I'm writing to Burson to see if they can help.
In your photo you are holding your phone parallel/vertical with the airflow. This may explain your higher db. akqrate is holding is phone perpendicular to the airflow.

I have a 4-6 db increase going from Perpendicular to vertical.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #300 of 2,259
I didn’t want the noise from the airflow entering my phone’s microphone to mess with the actual dB of the noise generated. Hope I’m making sense?

Like the air from a pedestal fan is louder when it’s directly hitting your face rather than if you’re around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back