Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #256 of 2,261
Hi Guys, thank you for your ongoing support and your valuable contributions to both Burson and Head-fi. We take all your feedback seriously, and it's the only way for us to keep improving.

Regarding the active cooling system in the Burson Soloist 3X GT:

* Its active cooling system makes the GT much less dependent on its operating environment, and its fan speed is constant.

* The fan speed is optimized for stability, and any manipulation of its speed using any external controller will make the amplifier unstable and void the warranty.

* The enclosure is a critical part of its cooling design. i.e. Air comes in from its belly and out from the top. Thus, cooling the power transistors mounted directly on its bottom plate. As such, the enclosure needs to stay closed for its cooling to work correctly.

* It has a sensor that stops the GT when the top cover is lifted, so please don't try to fool that sensor and elevate its top cover. Doing so will immediately short circuit the airflow and place the 90W Class-A power supplies in danger of over-heating within minutes and void the warranty.

For further information, please email us or refer to its user manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7m9jbNXGVAJS88YzTlnBAE_0xdj6Olf/view

Happy listening!

Team Burson
What about the inconsistent volume control and volume bouncing back and forth when scrolling?

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #257 of 2,261
Hi Guys, thank you for your ongoing support and your valuable contributions to both Burson and Head-fi. We take all your feedback seriously, and it's the only way for us to keep improving.

Regarding the active cooling system in the Burson Soloist 3X GT:

* Its active cooling system makes the GT much less dependent on its operating environment, and its fan speed is constant.

* The fan speed is optimized for stability, and any manipulation of its speed using any external controller will make the amplifier unstable and void the warranty.

* The enclosure is a critical part of its cooling design. i.e. Air comes in from its belly and out from the top. Thus, cooling the power transistors mounted directly on its bottom plate. As such, the enclosure needs to stay closed for its cooling to work correctly.

* It has a sensor that stops the GT when the top cover is lifted, so please don't try to fool that sensor and elevate its top cover. Doing so will immediately short circuit the airflow and place the 90W Class-A power supplies in danger of over-heating within minutes and void the warranty.

For further information, please email us or refer to its user manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7m9jbNXGVAJS88YzTlnBAE_0xdj6Olf/view

Happy listening!

Team Burson
Ok ... so I'm starting to think Ill have to send mine back :frowning2: real shame cause the sound quality is excellent but the amount of noise / resnonance coming from fully closed chasis is way too much for me. My gf came in yesterday asking if the amp got a bit quieter, I asked her if she can hear it, she asked me if I have my window open ... I said no, she literally thought the hum is coming from the outside.

Anyway, it is what it is, hope most people will find it quiet in their environment.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #259 of 2,261
Just played with a Decibel X app on the phone. Not sure if I can trust to numbers but my normal "quiet" environment in 50-60 cm from 2 x Intel NUC (1 x Windows 11, 1 x ROCK) is 29-35 dB depending on the load on NUCs. So potential 25 dB from GT (as stated) should not play a significant role here I think:relaxed:

IMG_4718.PNG

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #260 of 2,261
25 – 30 decibels
In a studio environment, this allows for a dry, clinical sound, and a clean recording. For prayer rooms and public libraries, this is an optimum environment for contemplation and study.

Source:
https://www.lighthouseacoustics.co.uk/acceptable-sound-levels-explained/

and then GT is at 25db

But then again I do not have my unit yet and who knows what’s up in unit variation, etc. I will report when I receive mine in a few days :) will be driving 1266 TC and Susvara

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #261 of 2,261
Wow, after this listening to the GT last night I am pretty surprised by the negativity from some users. This amp is absolutely amazing. The fan is very quiet. I have a water-cooled pc mainly for decreasing any fan noise from the gpu/cpu, and from a arm's length I hear absolutely nothing from the GT.

The most apparent upgrade is the increased sound stage. It's incredible with the Susvara. There is more slam and just better audio overall compared to the 3xp.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #262 of 2,261
Just played with a Decibel X app on the phone. Not sure if I can trust to numbers but my normal "quiet" environment in 50-60 cm from 2 x Intel NUC (1 x Windows 11, 1 x ROCK) is 29-35 dB depending on the load on NUCs. So potential 25 dB from GT (as stated) should not play a significant role here I think:relaxed:

IMG_4718.PNG
Just did a similar test next to my GT it averages around 35db with similar proximity and my environment is at around 20db avg ... so yeah, it's about the same level as a PC it seems.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #263 of 2,261
Wow, after this listening to the GT last night I am pretty surprised by the negativity from some users. This amp is absolutely amazing. The fan is very quiet. I have a water-cooled pc mainly for decreasing any fan noise from the gpu/cpu, and from a arm's length I hear absolutely nothing from the GT.

The most apparent upgrade is the increased sound stage. It's incredible with the Susvara. There is more slam and just better audio overall compared to the 3xp.
Yeah I don't know man, it is a lot louder than my laptop ... the amp is amazing, I really don't know what to do because I hate how loud the fan is on mine (maybe I'm just sensitive ... don't know) but I love everything else about it ...

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #264 of 2,261

Actually, would you be able to do a db reading with your mobile using a free app, at about 50 cm from the fan plus a db avg of your environment? I would be interested to see if some are louder than others for any reason.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #265 of 2,261
Ok. I should be able to by tonight or tomorrow. High db fans really annoy me and ruin gaming experiences for me, so watercooling my gpu and cpu is a must. My pc fans are always low rpm. With the pc off, it is audible but still pretty quiet. My impressions on fan noise are similar to the guy from Passion for sound.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #266 of 2,261
Ok. I should be able to by tonight or tomorrow. High db fans really annoy me and ruin gaming experiences for me, so watercooling my gpu and cpu is a must. My pc fans are always low rpm. With the pc off, it is audible but still pretty quiet. My impressions on fan noise are similar to the guy from Passion for sound.
Cool, would appreciate it, mine sits at about 35db around 50cm up away form the fan, this equates to my macbook pro with fans running at around 4800 which is medium load, but I try to keep the fans at around 2000rpm and then it's at around 20db. If my GT was indeed at 25db close to the fan I wouldn't bat an eyelid and it would've been a nonissue, sadly that's not the case.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #267 of 2,261
Its laughable for anyone who is using it at a desk. You have to crank the nob for probably 5 seconds to actually get any change in volume at low gain but if you go to high gain then the gain is to the point where even at "1" volume you are still getting noise. It seems very hard to get the volume you want when you want it. Its REALLY bad. I feel like for most headphones on the market. This amp will not provide a great experience. If you your headphones can make use of the power AND the full volume control then great but I am using the HIFIMAN-Arya and its NOT a good match. Low gain = cranking the wheel up to 60 then if you want to lower it to low volume, spending 5 seconds going all the way down to 20. If you go medium gain then low volume becomes medium volume and its even worse on high gain. You cant ever make the headphones quiet. Compared to my HPA4 where you can use ALL of the volume range with any headphones on earth and it actually has amazing volume step control.

This is just my opinion so far.
I have to call bs on this. This post is so negative. The volume knob is not the greatest, but I find it an improvement over the 3xp knob. It is easier to grip and control. The Arya is absolutely a great match with the GT. There is no way you actually listened to this amp with the Arya, and could leave with the opinion that they are not a good match. That's hater talk.

Last night I was up late listening to the Susvara and Arya. I have an Arya and used it for less than an hour since January. I was not impressed with it and did not find the sound stage that much different than my He1000se at the time. I had no intentions of keeping the Arya, but after testing it last night I finally understood the rep it has. The sound stage on the Arya increased even more to a level that is very clear in difference to the Susvara. I now find it a compliment to having the Susvara, rather then something I had no plans of keeping.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #268 of 2,261
What about the inconsistent volume control and volume bouncing back and forth when scrolling?
I listened to the Arya on high gain and had zero issues with volume control. Will test later tonight on low and medium, but it sounded so good on high that I did not even bother.

The volume inconsistency you are referring to is purposely done at low gain. You should watch the Passion for Sound review as he details it. I find your opinions to be very negative with no appreciation of what the GT does well. What I would agree with is the volume knob is still mediocre, with a slight improvement over the 3xp.

*Another positive is there is no longer any "popping" sound when turning on the amp with headphones connected, or switching in between headphones. I actually found that annoying on the 3xp, it always creeped me out. No issue at all now.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #269 of 2,261

Keep in mind and I have posted this here previously... if you don't own the Sus/1266 Phi TC/ HE6 you may not see the same type of benefit from this amp. Even a Utopia or LCD4 aren't difficult to drive and may show the improvements from 3XP -> 3GT. Notice many of the ho hum initial impressions aren't coming from people that own these 3 headphones. Again just my hypothesis.

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #270 of 2,261
Keep in mind and I have posted this here previously... if you don't own the Sus/1266 Phi TC/ HE6 you may not see the same type of benefit from this amp. Even a Utopia or LCD4 aren't difficult to drive and may show the improvements from 3XP -> 3GT. Notice many of the ho hum initial impressions aren't coming from people that own these 3 headphones. Again just my hypothesis.
I expected this to be the case, but the Arya had a major improvement to me. I also tested the He6se and did not find much improvement, but I never liked the He6se so my opinion may be colored. If anything, the He6se on the GT made it more apparent to me how much better the Susvara is than it. I felt the sound stage was a clear improvement on the Susvara and Arya with the GT, but little to no improvement on the He6se. Will be curious what others think on the He6 models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back