Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 22, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #196 of 2,256
Here is another owner's opinion posted over on hifiguides

Hey guys, here are some of my initial impressions when comparing the Soloist 3X GT vs the Soloist 3XP. I may provide more of my thoughts later as I am still continuing to test some of the features and other headphones I own.

Soloist 3X GT vs Soloist 3XP (Using both with their super chargers)

Listened on:
NEW Meze Liric headphone
Low gain on Soloist 3X GT at 20
Medium gain on Soloist 3XP at 25

Thieaudio Oracle IEMs
Low gain on Soloist 3X GT at 20 (slight hiss sound from amp)
Medium gain on Soloist 3XP at 75

Equipment:
Topping 90se DAC into ONE Little Bear to switched back and fourth between amps

Songs Used:
Feeling Good by Michael Buble (Vocal testing)
Six Cold Feet by Hugh Laurie (Vocal testing)
We’ve Just Begun by Sinne Eeg & The Danish Radio Big Band (Vocals and treble)
Bubbles (Soundstage and low end)

Soundstage:
Sounds pretty much the same to me otherwise
(Crossfeed set to medium) It is more spacious with the Soloist 3X GT. Its a bit more rounded than the Soloist 3XP.

Vocals:
Sound the same to me on both. If there is a difference it is very slight in that the Soloist 3XP could be ever so slightly harsh (very subtle here though)… but this is nit picking if anything.

Low end:
There is a touch more in bass on the Soloist GT. But both are really solid.

Treble:
It is a bit smoother on the Soloist GT

Soloist GT - Other Improvements:

• There is no popping noise when I connect the XLR connection to my headphones on the GT (This will stop on the regular soloist but it needs time to warm up. Around 5 minutes or so.)
  • The RCA left, right and sub out have made my desktop come alive. It sounds really smooth and enjoyable
  • Lots of headroom for driving any headphone you own. (I kept pretty much everything on low gain except the HE6se v2 and the DT800 at high gain. It was around 20)
  • Crossfeed is pretty good. But only on low or medium. I didn’t really care for it on high gain as it was a bit too much. It does open up the stage a bit. (Can also depend on the song as well)
Issues:
One gripe I have on the Soloist GT is the knob. While it is nice that it is larger, it also has a problem where it is a bit too sensitive. It can be frustrating when you are trying to change the gain or crossfeed and it selects a different option. It becomes a game that no one really enjoys playing lol.

Other thoughts:
The Soloist GT has a bit too much probably for most IEMs seeing as there was a hissing sound and was around 20 on the volume with the Oracles. (Crossfeed feature on the Soloist GT once again made this enjoyable when using it on an IEM. It gives more of that outside of your head open stage which usually IEMs don’t really provide.)

Final Thoughts
So I know Passion for Sound said that the unit is “cleaner, smoother, spacious and tonality accurate amp”… I think take this with a grain of salt as from what I am hearing they are really rather similar in their performance IMO. If any thing these differences are ever so slight. I would say that both amps do a great job and I don’t see myself parting with either one. I think if you are someone that wants top of the line amp, that you can hook up to some active speakers and subwoofer… and you don’t want to worry about “do I have enough power for said headphone”, then the Soloist GT is a solid purchase. I would think you would be pretty happy with it. But still if you are looking to save some money… the Soloist 3X is still a solid purchase and you can’t go wrong there. (Plus you can save the additional money and get a TOTL headphone instead).

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/burson-soloist-3x/27137/172

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #197 of 2,256
Mine arrived today, just started to sit down and listen. Running May KTE and Meze Elite. So far 0 harshness in anything so far. Going to let the amp continue to break in. So far runs slightly cooler than the 3xp. Didnt hear a faint pop in my headphones when powering on the amp like I would in the 3xp, but its possible its just quieter also. Running in low gain where as I ran medium on the 3xp. Part of me wishes I never returned my DCA Stealth because I think this amp would have did it justice where the Topping A90 I used to have was probably the reason I didn't like it.

I do wish they put a mesh filter over the fan to reduce dust in take. I wonder if they ever tested the GT with one.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #198 of 2,256
Mine arrived today, just started to sit down and listen. Running May KTE and Meze Elite. So far 0 harshness in anything so far. Going to let the amp continue to break in. So far runs slightly cooler than the 3xp. Didnt hear a faint pop in my headphones when powering on the amp like I would in the 3xp, but its possible its just quieter also. Running in low gain where as I ran medium on the 3xp. Part of me wishes I never returned my DCA Stealth because I think this amp would have did it justice where the Topping A90 I used to have was probably the reason I didn't like it.

I do wish they put a mesh filter over the fan to reduce dust in take. I wonder if they ever tested the GT with one.
Maybe users can use one of this, but have to check about the restriction applied by the filter.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #200 of 2,256
Finally powered it on, have not listened to it yet. Just got back home.

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #201 of 2,256
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #202 of 2,256
So early impressions are a mixed bag. My audio chain is Audirvana -> Holo May KTE -> Grand Tourer (using the super charger) -> Focal Utopia.
So off the bat, I think the GT is specifically designed for harder to drive headphones. I say that because the noise floor, even on the low gain setting, is not as low as my previous amp the GS-X mini (which I still own). There is no audible noise from the noise floor on the the low gain setting from the GT but you do not get that ultra black background that the gs-x mini gives you on its low gain setting. Vocals from the gs-x mini seemed to emerge from total darkness (at least while paired with the Holo May). I could see how the gs-x mini could be viewed as more detailed, with its slightly sparkly highs and pitch black background.
The GT while falling behind in noise floor, at least with easy to drive headphones, does a few things better. The mid range, while not emerging from a tangibly pitch black background, has no hint of graininess. It is a smoother listen out of the GT. The mini isn't normally harsh, but when paired with a dac with a high voltage output, I've noticed in certain circumstances that it can become harsh. The bass and slam is better on the GT. Everything sounds slightly more substantial from the GT. The sound stage changes with what cross feed option you choose. I preferred cross feed off or on low. I noticed that cross feed on high dissipated a large amount of treble energy. You start losing more than you gain the higher you go with the cross feed function, at least in my opinion. The sound moves from the front of your head to the sides of your head the higher you go with the cross feed.
Again, this is a very early impression. The GT's noise floor may drop further with burn in. Harder to drive headphones could have better synergy with the GT. A lot of variables to consider. I am going to purchase a Susvara in the near future to pair with the GT. Overall, if you have easy to drive headphones, like the Utopia's, this might be overkill.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #203 of 2,256
So early impressions are a mixed bag. My audio chain is Audirvana -> Holo May KTE -> Grand Tourer (using the super charger) -> Focal Utopia.
So off the bat, I think the GT is specifically designed for harder to drive headphones. I say that because the noise floor, even on the low gain setting, is not as low as my previous amp the GS-X mini (which I still own). There is no audible noise from the noise floor on the the low gain setting from the GT but you do not get that ultra black background that the gs-x mini gives you on its low gain setting. Vocals from the gs-x mini seemed to emerge from total darkness (at least while paired with the Holo May). I could see how the gs-x mini could be viewed as more detailed, with its slightly sparkly highs and pitch black background.
The GT while falling behind in noise floor, at least with easy to drive headphones, does a few things better. The mid range, while not emerging from a tangibly pitch black background, has no hint of graininess. It is a smoother listen out of the GT. The mini isn't normally harsh, but when paired with a dac with a high voltage output, I've noticed in certain circumstances that it can become harsh. The bass and slam is better on the GT. Everything sounds slightly more substantial from the GT. The sound stage changes with what cross feed option you choose. I preferred cross feed off or on low. I noticed that cross feed on high dissipated a large amount of treble energy. You start losing more than you gain the higher you go with the cross feed function, at least in my opinion. The sound moves from the front of your head to the sides of your head the higher you go with the cross feed.
Again, this is a very early impression. The GT's noise floor may drop further with burn in. Harder to drive headphones could have better synergy with the GT. A lot of variables to consider. I am going to purchase a Susvara in the near future to pair with the GT. Overall, if you have easy to drive headphones, like the Utopia's, this might be overkill.

Yep I think that appears to be the case... Sus, Phi TC, and HE6 owners looking like the go to move possibly to get the 3GT. Please report back once you have the Sus on how that pairs with 3GT.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #204 of 2,256
I may be able to live with that. On the 3XP, I never noticed any background hiss on any gain setting with the HE6SE (obvi), however I heard hiss on the Vérité in the high setting. It was gone with medium though. I wonder if 3XP’s medium is equivalent to GT’s low.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #205 of 2,256
I may be able to live with that. On the 3XP, I never noticed any background hiss on any gain setting with the HE6SE (obvi), however I heard hiss on the Vérité in the high setting. It was gone with medium though. I wonder if 3XP’s medium is equivalent to GT’s low.
I had my Verite and Aeolus with the GT on both low and medium gain, neither setting produced any hiss.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #206 of 2,256
i have hiss on high and mid gain with adx5000
but the hiss is not evenly spread out across the volume
it starts on 30 and ends on40 and starts again on 50 ends on 60

i have this problem with 3xp as well

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #207 of 2,256
The low gain setting does not produce any audible noise, even with easy to drive headphones like the Utopia, it's just that the noise floor is not as low as the gs-x mini. I did try medium gain and the hiss is extremely prevalent. When you switch gain settings the hiss kicks in the moment you turn the volume knob.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #209 of 2,256
3GT on GT speciffic Supercharger vs 3XP on Supercharger impressions time :

- GT has about 10% more perceived power. 60 on GT = roughly 66 on 3XP
- GT is a lot wider, and this is the main difference
- Tonality is very similar, GT has the 3XP sound characteristics with all the good and bad
- GT on vivids can still produce harsh treble with sets like 1266 TC, but that's why we do op amp rolling which I will do in the next few days after it burns in a bit more

So in short, 3GT is a wider version of 3XP.

For 1266 TC - still has hot top end on vivids but you can op amp roll to change the tuning.
For Empire Ears Odin - it still has audible noise floor, actually signifficantly more audible than 3xp (no black background), but other than that it's spectacular. Odins are so wide on it it's unbelievable, the whole range is super smooth, precise, holographic, full bodied, it's a god tier pairing (minus the silightly noisiy background). The background noise can be a killer though.

Fan noise on mine is audible, had to stuff it on one of the lower shelves next to my desk, but it's still audible. I'm actually disappointed with the fan noise ... I wasn't expecting it to be this loud. It's easily on the level of my 2019 i9 macbook pro, and that's a pretty loud laptop ... not sure, maybe mine has a louder fan than most ... hmm ...

Crossfeed is implemented well, it's subtle and organic on 1266. It's a nice feature if you want to play with the width of the soundstage and the FR. At the moment I have it off because I'm enjoing the width of the stage comparing to 3XP.

So ... 2 deal breakers for people can be background noise on sensitive sets and IEMs and the fan noise ... maybe it's just my one, but ... maybe it will be a problem.

Actually I'm not sure I will be keeping it, the fan noise is a bit much for me and the background noise on IEMs is also quite a lot ... the performance, especially the sound stage is really spectacular though ... so ... yeah ... give and take ... I thought I will keep it for sure, but the fan noise and high noise floor is already starting to grind a bit.

I will follow up with some op amp rolling impressions.

Update :
I have been feeding it with Holo May L2 which is also a full dual mono design, so the GT allows for harnessing the full performance of a dual mono DAC. Your mileage may vary with lesser source, for me the differnce in staging against the 3xp on my DAC is really pronounced.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #210 of 2,256
Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be headphone dependent.
Oh yea, I am not surprised you are getting hiss on the Utopia. I sold mine because I didn't have any gear that wouldn't make it hiss. Would like to buy another but could not find one comparable to the price and condition I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back