Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #167 of 2,273
Sorry, I meant do you have other headphone amps that you are able to compare the GT to?

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #170 of 2,273
Man, so far it seems a lot of people have found the GT underwhelming. Mine should be coming in soon... I have the Holo May KTE for the DAC so... we'll see I guess.
Notice that those people aren’t using a susvara, 1266 phi tc, or HE6 with these feedback. IMO to properly test this amp you need power hungry headphones that will show the dynamic prowess. we shall see in due time..

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #171 of 2,273
Notice that those people aren’t using a susvara, 1266 phi tc, or HE6 with these feedback. IMO to properly test this amp you need power hungry headphones that will show the dynamic prowess. we shall see in due time..
I have no problem with the dynamics but the thin (at present) sound. I dont think that will be be solved by a harder to drive headphone.

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #172 of 2,273
Man, so far it seems a lot of people have found the GT underwhelming. Mine should be coming in soon... I have the Holo May KTE for the DAC so... we'll see I guess.
I’m very interested in your take once you get to hear it. Spring 3/May is my endgame DAC. Even though it’s not looking good right now, I’m still hoping the GT will be my endgame solid-state.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #173 of 2,273
I have no problem with the dynamics but the thin (at present) sound. I dont think that will be be solved by a harder to drive headphone.

I would be shocked if the GT is indeed "thin" or at least that become the general consensus. I have the 3XP and use the Sparkos op amps with my 1266 Phi TC and the presentation is anything but thin. Even with the LCDX, LCD3F, OG Clears, and HP3s none sound thin with the 3XP. I prefer the sparkos to vivid for my tastes but the vivids were not thin in my setup. It's possible the GT is tuned differently that the XP but we shall see with more owner impressions.

Sandu mentioned the Volot was tuned a bit differently than the FA-10 it didn't quite have as much emphasis on the bass as the cheaper model but it certianly wasn't thin... so it's possible as you go up the ladder these companies go for technical performance and details at the expense of raw punch and dynamics. I think general feedback on the Niimbus and V590 is a much more neutral signature and sacrificed the punch over the V281.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #174 of 2,273
Reference tuning? Cool, this is what I like! My headphones are not that hard to drive like the 1266 but they do benefit from extra power. 3XP drives them well but I know they can perform even better. We will see.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #176 of 2,273
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #177 of 2,273
Cool, guess I'll have to keep an eye out. FedEx has a tendency to just leave things at the doorstep here. I'm hoping it wasnt left and stolen while I was at work. Wish Burson would have sent out notifications of shipments.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #178 of 2,273
Well the amp arrive today and I have had it plugged into my Denafrips Pontus 2 and LCD4s for the past 6 hours. It is obviously too early to asses but it is quite a reference tuning with very clear mids and treble but not much propulsion in the bass. Hopefully this will fill out in the next few days.
What gain setting do you have it on?

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #179 of 2,273
True, the Holo May puts out 5.8v from XLR, so that could make it sound less thin. I do not have a pair of Susvaras yet. I'll be using Utopias.

If Lachlan from passion for sound used the Chord TT2 as the DAC, it could explain why he didn't find it thin. the Chord TT2 puts out a line level voltage of 5v through the XLR's.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #180 of 2,273
Cool, guess I'll have to keep an eye out. FedEx has a tendency to just leave things at the doorstep here. I'm hoping it wasnt left and stolen while I was at work. Wish Burson would have sent out notifications of shipments.
This is what I’m precisely afraid of. Pre-ordered at the same time others did, & still haven’t received it. Will contact Burson if nothing arrives by Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back