Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Oct 4, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #1,636 of 2,273
I use alfa rppar as402 for volume buffer
Orange duals for voltage stage
input stage i switch between Sparkos Pro 2590, Muzg duals and Orange Duals

70% of the time the sparkos..i prefer
I emailed alfa rppar to ask how to buy their opamps since there isn't a way to buy them on their website (which is very strange), they replied and said I have to send them a wire transfer!

Yeah I'm gonna drive to my bank, wait in line and pay a fee because they aren't living in this century :laughing:

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,638 of 2,273
Im wondering if the problems people ran into were because of them putting the opamps in the wrong direction, like the little curve on the sockets didnt match up.
It’s possible. I bet it is mostly due to user error, or could a faulty op-amp. But probably more due to the former.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,639 of 2,273
It’s possible. I bet it is mostly due to user error, or could a faulty op-amp. But probably more due to the former.
that makes sense. In my case, I followed the images in the thread which are in the correct orientation. My only thought is that the op-amps aren't making contact despite being inserted correctly. Even trying them with the BA extenders, they still don't work. My final attempt at seeing if they work is purchasing the dip8 sockets from burson website and seeing if they help with contact if that's the issue. If that doesn't work, I'll just concede that my unit will not accept 3rd party op-amps in that stage. I'll just stick to using them in the input buffer and perhaps try some v6 casuals to hear something different than v6 vivds in that volume stage.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,640 of 2,273
I am trialing this config. So far outstanding and the most “tube-like” of anything I have tried. Need more time evaluating, but I really like what V6 Classics bring to the table. It’s the first config where I stop thinking…and just get lost in the music. I can also now explore more of the high gain setting now on the GT without it feeling like overkill. Man, this thing is fun to own.
That's great! I need to find someone to trade my Vivids for Classics.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #1,641 of 2,273
my bet is that the pins weren't inserted correctly, which is easy to do as I did it myself and had to get a flashlight under there to figure out why I had no sound - only six pins were in instead of all 8

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,642 of 2,273

Not the greatest of reviews and obviously weird comps to other amps. His comments on the sub out were interesting though.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,643 of 2,273

Not the greatest of reviews and obviously weird comps to other amps. His comments on the sub out were interesting though.

If he went out of his way for clean power I can see how the chargers make no difference for him. I can also sort of agree with the price. I got the GT at its reduced price before its release and they were taking preorders. For 2500, as well as the additional cost of the supercharger (Preorders got the supercharger free also, not sure if thats the case right now for new units). For 2500, on top of the supercharger, and --in its stock form--, its definitely overpriced. I love my GT, and I love it even more after the op amp upgrades. But the cheaper stuff caught up pretty quick. I tried out a friends A90D and its definitely more enjoyable to me than the original. Enough so that I got one as a backup amp.

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #1,644 of 2,273
Those with the Sparkos and SILs, did u find your gain/volume being lower than stock comfig? Somehow I now listen to music with volume turned up more than usual (90 on high gain still listenable foe Susvara)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,645 of 2,273
Those with the Sparkos and SILs, did u find your gain/volume being lower than stock comfig? Somehow I now listen to music with volume turned up more than usual (90 on high gain still listenable).
That's very loud. I have yet to go pass 55 on high gain with my AB-1266 TC's. The 3X GT is pushing the crap out of these headphones. What headphones are you using?

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,646 of 2,273
Those with the Sparkos and SILs, did u find your gain/volume being lower than stock comfig? Somehow I now listen to music with volume turned up more than usual (90 on high gain still listenable).
Very few circumstances where I've had to go past 65-70, even with the Susvara on high gain. Weird.

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,647 of 2,273
That's very loud. I have yet to go pass 55 on high gain with my AB-1266 TC's. The 3X GT is pushing the crap out of these headphones. What headphones are you using?
Susvara. Edited!

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,648 of 2,273
Susvara. Edited!
Haha, the Susvara's are a tough load, but I was never able to get up 90. Even when I had the Conductor 3XR. I was hovering around 70 at the most. The Soloist 3X GT is even more powerful than that amp was.

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,650 of 2,273
I think maybe it’s the op-amp configuration or how they were inserted, I dunno! But when I switched op amps around they’re back to normal gain. Back to 50+ on high gain with the Susvara now. Didn’t know gain could be significantly affected by op amp rolling sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back