Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
May 18, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #226 of 281
I've found that while mine does the same thing plugging straight in, using an OTG adapter it works 100%.
Oh, that's good to know though most lifestyle laptops now either only has USB-C or has only one extra USB-A port. Would've been more convenient if it's like a dongle plug-and-play with most android phones but still that's a nice info.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #227 of 281
Oh, that's good to know though most lifestyle laptops now either only has USB-C or has only one extra USB-A port. Would've been more convenient if it's like a dongle plug-and-play with most android phones but still that's a nice info.
Well I have mine plugged into my computer straight and it works no problem. I only need to use the OTG adapter on my Android devices.

May 18, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #228 of 281
I haven't test this but........ to my understanding OTG adapter is only needed it allow your phone to power the connected device.

For device that already has its own power then you don't need OTG adapter. I've tried my Android phone with Mojo 2 and it worked with just regular cable (since Mojo 2 self power).

Then again maybe different Android phone work a bit differently lol. I have Google Pixel 3a. So it is entirely possible that it's a bit finicky with other brands lol.

Unfortunately I don't think I've tested with my Playmate 2 before I sold it........ :sweat:

And yes plug straight into PC with a usb c to usb a cable worked fine.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #229 of 281
I picked up a Burson PM2 today, very impressed with how it sounds. Really like the balance of detail and warmth/softness.

Could listen to it all day (actually I did :)) with barely any fatigue. It sounds very natural, imaging and dynamics are good too.

In my opinion it pairs very well with the DCA Aeon Closed X. Haven't seen any reviews use this combo so I thought I'd mention that.

May 21, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #230 of 281
I picked up a Burson PM2 today, very impressed with how it sounds. Really like the balance of detail and warmth/softness.

Could listen to it all day (actually I did :)) with barely any fatigue. It sounds very natural, imaging and dynamics are good too.

In my opinion it pairs very well with the DCA Aeon Closed X. Haven't seen any reviews use this combo so I thought I'd mention that.

I use mine with my Aeon 2 Noire and they sound great!

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #231 of 281
There's no reason why you couldn't mix and match to experiment, but if your budget is tight, the V6 Vivid I think have a wider appeal, which is why they are stock on the higher-end units. I've tried the V6 Vivid, Classic, and SparkoS in the Burson Fun but not the Playmate. I prefer the Vivid and SparkoS to the Classic, personally. I think I recall someone saying in another thread that it's best to leave the V6 Vivid in the I/V stage slot, and then roll op-amps in the buffer stage instead. If you just want to maximize bang for the buck, the V6 Vivids in all 4 slots are a safe bet. If you can stretch, a single pair of SparkoS in the buffer stage might be nice to try. Shameless plug, I'm probably selling my Fun soon along with the op-amps I described. I have the Soloist 3X now and none of the single-channel opamps are compatible.
whick version sparkos lab? 3601 or 2590 for its lp buffer?

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #232 of 281
20220607_172538.jpg

End game op amp rolling

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #233 of 281

End game op amp rolling
Which op amp is this?

Also I tried playing around with the Burson op amp first (had full set of V6 Classic, V6 Vivid, V5i) then conclude it was too expensive for me to keep going LOL. Like this is worse than tube rolling in terms of cost.

Was thinking to try Sparkos but again like I said decided to go cheaper route (aka no op amp rolling LOL).

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #234 of 281
Which op amp is this?

Also I tried playing around with the Burson op amp first (had full set of V6 Classic, V6 Vivid, V5i) then conclude it was too expensive for me to keep going LOL. Like this is worse than tube rolling in terms of cost.

Was thinking to try Sparks but again like I said decided to go cheaper route (aka no op amp rolling LOL).
Just 2 v6 vivid on the IV stage, and sparkos lab ss2590 on the LP.

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #235 of 281
Just 2 v6 vivid on the IV stage, and sparkos lab ss2590 on the LP.
Ah yes Sparkos was gonna say they look familiar just wasn't sure. Were you able to try any other combinations by any chance?

i.e.
2 x Sparkos Single, 2 x V6 Vivid Dual
2 x Sparkos Single, 2 x Sparkos Dual
2 x V6 Vivid Single, 2 x Sparkos Dual
2 x V6 VIvid Single, 2 x V6 Vivid Dual

If not it's ok..... as I said...... cost add up very fast. A full set is already half of the cost of Playmate 2. :p

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #236 of 281
Which op amp is this?

Was thinking to try Sparkos but again like I said decided to go cheaper route (aka no op amp rolling LOL).
The combination you have there is the exact config I wanted to try, but I wasn't sure how I would go about mounting the sparkos with the vivids on the side. Can you post where you purchased that 90 degree adapter? Very clever.

Also, just to confirm, the I/V stage is dual and the LP's are singles?

Cheers

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #237 of 281
The combination you have there is the exact config I wanted to try, but I wasn't sure how I would go about mounting the sparkos with the vivids on the side. Can you post where you purchased that 90 degree adapter? Very clever.

Also, just to confirm, the I/V stage is dual and the LP's are singles?

Cheers
Can confirm that the IV stage (outer 2) is dual while the LP stage (inner 2) are the single ones

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #238 of 281
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #239 of 281

Users who are viewing this thread

Back