Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #61 of 281
@bluestorm1992 I considering taking some money out of my system and selling my Hugo 2 and getting a playmate. I am really only using the Hugo 2 as a desktop solution and think the playmate 2 is really all I need. What do you think is the biggest between the two? Thanks.
I think tonality wise, Hugo 2 wins. It is overall smoother, with better layering and imaging. However, the difference is not that big IMO. If you rate the SQ of Hugo 2 as 10, probably I will give the Playmate 2 a score of 7-8. This SQ rating is mostly based on IEM.

Power-wise, the Playmate 2 with stock Op-AMP wins by quite a lot. With my Diana V2 I only need to turn the volume to around 50 to get a good listening experience. However, after installing the Classic Op Amp, the output power seems to be lower - I have the same experience after installing the Classic Op Amp to other Burson devices as well. The Vivid Op Amp, on the other hand, seems to be doing a fine job.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #63 of 281
Feb 8, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #64 of 281
You swapped out the standard opamps so can you confirm a couple of things for me. Are the op amps 2xsingle and 2xdual? I have a PLAY which has died but has 2x single V6 vivids and 3x duals. Where do I place the singles and the duals? Do I need a tool to remove the standard op amps? At the moment I am impressed with the sound of the standards but from experience, the sound of my PLAY went up when I went for the Vivids. I am assuming that this will happen again.

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #65 of 281
You swapped out the standard opamps so can you confirm a couple of things for me. Are the op amps 2xsingle and 2xdual? I have a PLAY which has died but has 2x single V6 vivids and 3x duals. Where do I place the singles and the duals? Do I need a tool to remove the standard op amps? At the moment I am impressed with the sound of the standards but from experience, the sound of my PLAY went up when I went for the Vivids. I am assuming that this will happen again.
Correct, it take Duals x 2 and Singles x 2. Location is on page 7 of the manual

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K8Mhx6NiHp5Clat3PkICSmm-XWuEh0lA/view?usp=drive_web

As long as you are careful you can remove the stock opamps either by hand or with a pair of pliers. IMHO the Vivids take it up a level.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #66 of 281
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #67 of 281
Has anyone tried to use a different usb c cable and, if so, will it work with the Playmate 2? I am asking because for the Burson Composer 3XP it only works with the stock cable but not a regular usb c cable.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #68 of 281
Has anyone tried to use a different usb c cable and, if so, will it work with the Playmate 2? I am asking because for the Burson Composer 3XP it only works with the stock cable but not a regular usb c cable.
Yes, I am using a USB-C to USB-A cable and have used other cables as well. The stock cable has actually never been used and is still in the box.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #69 of 281
Yes, I am using a USB-C to USB-A cable and have used other cables as well. The stock cable has actually never been used and is still in the box.
Great, thanks so much!

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #70 of 281
Bluestorm, that diagram in a prevous post of yours is very useful. If I'd just had to follow the written instructions I'd be lost by now. I'm one of those people who doesn't RTFM because manuals are confusing. This has given me the confidence to take the V6 Vivids out of my dead PLAY and install them in the Playmate 2. However, before I do I want to do a write up of the PM2 with standard Op Amps. That will follow soon

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #72 of 281
Is anyone using the Playmate 2 as pre-amp as well, if yes does your unit emit two loud tones to the amp when you turn it off. It's just the pre-amp out and doesn't matter if it's set to headphone out or pre-amp out.

Thanks
Yes, this happens to me with both headphones and as a pre-amp.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #73 of 281
PSX_20210413_105547-1050x700.jpg

Today on Headfonia we review the Playmate 2, an article by @Mightygrey
https://www.headfonia.com/burson-playmate-2-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back